Site icon Random Scottish History

November 1901

Accident on the North Mail.


Girl Falls off the Train.


   On Tuesday an accident of an alarming nature occurred upon the north-going mails when the train was approaching Bonar-Bridge station at the rate of about forty miles per hour. Travelling in the train was Mrs James Gibson, whose husband is a workman in Glasgow, and who was proceeding with her three children to Thurso. Mrs Gibson states that after leaving Ardgay she proceeded to get her youngest child to go to sleep. This had not occupied her attention more than a minute, when, on turning round, she was horrified to see the door of the compartment open and that her eldest girl – quite a little lass – had disappeared. The mother struggled in vain to attract the attention of the train officials. On arriving at Bonar-Bridge station, Mrs Gibson was in a very excited state. Immediate steps were taken in the interests of the child. Constable Ross, who happened to be on the platform, with creditable forethought immediately communicated with Dr Stritch, Ardgay, who was in the neighbourhood, and along with other two medical men, who were on the north-going train, they proceeded in an engine along the line. About two miles out of Bonar-Bridge, Constable Ross was the first to see the girl bundled up against the railway fence. To all appearance she seemed to be dead. The medical men, however, found that she was in a semi-conscious condition. The girl was removed to Bonar-Bridge, where it was found that she had sustained a slight fracture of the frontal bone and two bones in the forehead. The injuries marvellous to relate, were not, however by any means of a fatal character, and, indeed, the medical men decided it was quite safe to allow her mother to convey her home to Thurso. Subsequent information is to the effect that the girl, when she arrived at Thurso, seemed to be recovering and since then she has made good progress. 

– Ross-shire Journal, Friday 1st November, 1901, p.5.



   Last night as the 6.45 passenger train from North Berwick was nearing Drem, the engine dashed into a couple of waggons laden with road metal, which had broken away from a train during shunting operations at Drem. With the force of the impact both waggons were thrown-off the railway right into the neighbouring field and smashed to pieces, whilst the engine and five carriages of the passenger train, although keeping the rails, were considerably damaged, and the glass of the carriages broken. Fortunately beyond being shaken with the force of the collision, none of the passengers were injured. A steam crane and breakdown gang were secured from St Margaret’s and the line was cleared by midnight. The passengers by the 6.30 p.m. train from Edinburgh consequently only reached North Berwick after midnight, although a few of them preferred to walk from Drem rather than wait. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Friday 1st November, 1901, p.3.





   To-day an alarming collision took place between two engines at the horse-loading bank at the north end of the Perth General Station. It appears that between twelve and one o’clock, while a Caledonian engine was proceeding southwards, the driver observed that a Highland Railway engine was coming in his direction on the same line. No time was allowed to bring the engines to a standstill, and the consequence was that they crashed into each other. Both the locomotives were telescoped and derailed, the permanent way being torn up for a considerable distance. As far as can be learned no one was seriously injured, although the engine-drivers and firemen received somewhat severe shocks. 

   Telephoning after, our Perth reporter says:- Although the accident was sufficient to cause much anxiety amongst the officials at Perth Station, it is satisfactory to state that no injuries have been sustained by any one. The cause of the accident appears to have been that one of the Caledonian pilot engines had been left standing at the junction of the points at the horse banks platform, when the Highland train due from Inverness at 12.5 on entering the station crashed into the pilot engine with considerable force. As indicating the force of the impact it may be mentioned that the pilot engine was thrown clean off the rails, and the engine of the Highland train was also severely damaged, but for a slight shock caused by the collision the passengers in the Highland train sustained no injuries. About half a dozen yards of solid masonry has been knocked down by the force of the collision, and a breakdown squad under Mr Dalling at once proceeded to the spot, and after considerable difficulty succeeded in again placing the engine on the rails. Little damage has been done to the permanent way. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Saturday 2nd November, 1901, p.3.



   A railway accident occurred this afternoon on the Solway Junction, over which the Caledonian runs at Annan. A goods train from Kirtlebridge was coming into Annan Station at 12 o’clock, when it collided with a waggon which was on the main line. the driver had no time to pull up, and the impact was so great as to hurl the waggon against several others that were on an adjoining line, with the result that they fouled the line. Three waggons were smashed, and the engine, which was toppled on its side, damaged. The driver, William Boyes, and the fireman, William Johnston, both of Kirtlebridge, were thrown out, and they sustained severe shock, but happily were not seriously injured. A breakdown gang has been sent for. the line is completely blocked, and all traffic is suspended. 

– Edinburgh evening News, Saturday 2nd November, 1901, p.4.


   STOKER DIES IN AN ABERDEEN EXPRESS TRAIN. – Stoker A. Anderson, of His Majesty’s ship Marlborough, Portsmouth, was found dead at Carlisle on Tuesday morning in the lavatory of an Aberdeen express train. He joined the train at Aberdeen on Monday evening. Shortly after the train started he went into the lavatory, and was not seen again until he was found dead by the collector at Carlisle. Deceased, who was a son of Mr Charles Anderson, foreman surfaceman, Bucksburn, was about 26 years of age, and had been at home on sick leave for about two months. 

– Aberdeen People’s Journal, Saturday 2nd November, 1901, p.7.


   FATAL ACCIDENT NEAR DOUNE. – Late on Saturday night a navvy, employed at the doubling of the line between Dunblane and Doune, was found lying seriously injured on the railway between these stations, having evidently been knocked down by a passing train. He was badly out about the head, and was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary, where he died at four o’clock on Sunday morning. His name is not known, but he is said to belong to Stornoway. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 4th November, 1901, p.9.


   RAILWAY FATALITY AT GARTNESS. – Early yesterday morning, James Todd, a goods guard residing in Springburn, was killed at Gartness Station. Todd, who was about thirty-six years age, worked the early morning goods train, from Glasgow out to Gartness. the engine-driver lifts the staff at the signal cabin, and Todd, who required the staff to work the siding traffic, was crawling over the tender to get it, when he came in contact with a bridge, and was instantly killed. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 5th November, 1901, p.3.


   ACCIDENT AT ARDROSSAN HARBOUR. – A serious accident occurred at Ardrossan harbour yesterday afternoon to a surfaceman named James Poland (65). He was working along with a number of others on the railway line between Ardrossan Station and the pier, when the Arran express train passed. Before he could get out of its way, the buffer of the engine struck him, and knocked him down. He was severely bruised all over the body, and is not expected to recover. he was subsequently taken to the Western Infirmary, Glasgow. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 7th November, 1901, p.7.




   A shocking accident occurred on the railway between Tillynaught and Banff yesterday. As the train due at Banff at 12.40 was passing the level crossing near Ladysbridge the driver noticed something fly from the front of the engine into the ditch. The train was stopped, and on searching the ditch the body of a man, described as looking like a tramp, was discovered quite dead. The police at Banff were telephoned for, and took charge of the body. 

– Huntly Express, Friday 8th November, 1901, p.8.





   At 10.20 last night, on the arrival at Leuchars of the 6.20 P.M. goods train from Sighthill to Aberdeen, a most unfortunate accident happened to the fireman, John Harold, residing in Glasgow. On its arrival at Leuchars Junction the train was drawing forward to shunt into the goods yards to allow two passenger trains to pass, and Harold was on the front of the engine performing some duty, when he lost his balance and fell in front of the train between the rails. the whole of the train passed over him, and it is supposed he had got crushed between the engine firebox and the ground, some of the wheels passing over his right arm, crushing it severely. the train was moved back over the same line of rails, and, in order to avoid being passed over a second time, the poor fellow had to crawl clear of the four-foot way. the driver did not miss him off the engine, but his cries attracted the attention of the shunter and other servants working in the yard, who immediately rendered what service they could to the poor sufferer. Fortunately an express passenger train was due to pass at the time, which was stopped, and Harold was put aboard the train, and taken to Dundee (Tay Bridge), whence the ambulance conveyed him to the Infirmary. the injured arm had to be amputated, and his other injuries are serious. Inquiry at the Infirmary this morning showed that Harold was wonderfully well considering his injuries. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 9th November, 1901, p.5.


   ACCIDENT NEAR JAMESTOWN STATION. – An accident occurred yesterday morning on the Forth and Clyde Railway near Jamestown Station, by which a goods guard named J. McKenzie, who resides at Cowlairs, was seriously injured. McKenzie was superintending the shunting of a goods train, when he was caught between two waggons while attempting to cross the rails. He was badly crushed. 

   FATAL ACCIDENT AT SLAMANNAN. – Yesterday forenoon a sad accident occurred at a level crossing on the Limerigg Colliery railway, where some children were amusing themselves. Robert Cain, a boy of four years, was knocked down by a locomotive, and the wheels passed over his body, death being almost instantaneous. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 12th November, 1901, p.4.


   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Thursday, a railway accident took place at the Level Crossing, Boyndie, which resulted in the death of an old man of about seventy years. The accident occurred on the journey of the 12.18 p.m. train from Tillynaught to Banff. The engine was coming tender first, and it would appear that deceased was attempting to cross the line when the train came up. Those on the engine did not see the accident; so far, it would appear that the only person who did so was Mrs Dawson, wife of Mr Dawson, gatekeeper, who, happening to look out at her house window, saw the man run down. Those on the engine noticed something bounding off from in front of the engine, and, surmising that something was wrong, they drew up the train, and returned to the scene of the accident. The body was found lying in the ditch by the side of the railway, about seventeen yards from the spot where he was struck, the force of the impact having thrown him that distance. Life was quite extinct. In formation of the accident was at once conveyed to the police authorities in Banff, and under their instructions the body was removed to the mortuary at Banff. There was nothing about the body to identify the deceased. He was a man of 5 feet 4½ inches in height, with grey hair and whiskers, all cut short, and was dressed in grey-stripped tweed checked suit and white straw hat. on one part of his clothing there appeared the name Robert Doherty, and on another the name Hiram L. Howard, both written in marking ink. his appearance was that of a tramp labourer, and it has been ascertained that he spoke with a strong Highland accent, and that he said he was a native of Argyll, and was on his way to Inverness. 

Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser, Tuesday 12th November, 1901, p.5.


   A LOCAL MAN KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – There was buried in Brierylaw Cemetery on Thursday the remains of James Todd, goods guard, who resided at Springburn, Glasgow, who was killed on the railway at Gartness Station the previous Monday morning. Deceased had been on the tender of the engine of his train, and stood up to jump down off it, when his head came in contact with a bridge, with the result that he was killed instantaneously. He was about thirty-six years of age, and leaves a widow and two of a family. At present his widowed mother and other relations reside at greenhead, and deceased at one time was also resident in the town. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 14th November, 1901, p.2.


   FATAL ACCIDENT AT THE STATION. – Alexander Oliver, a vanman in the employment of Mr George Henderson, iron merchant, met with a serious accident on Monday afternoon at the station. He had been unloading some goods from a truck, and in the course of shunting operations his body was crushed between his van and the railway waggon. His injuries were of such a severe nature that he succumbed to them on Tuesday morning. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 14th November, 1901, p.3.


   RAILWAY FATALITY AT MOTHERWELL. – On Saturday night another fatal accident occurred on the Caledonian Railway at the Globe viaduct, Motherwell. The body of a young man, which was afterwards identified as that of William McLuskey, was found on the south side of the bridge, with the head smashed in a shocking manner. It is supposed that the unfortunate youth, having missed the last train to Motherwell, was making his way along the line when he was run down by a passing engine. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 14th November, 1901, p.4.


   SOLDIER JUMPS FROM A TRAIN. – While the five o’clock train to Perth was leaving Cumbernauld Station yesterday morning, a private in the Cameron Highlanders, who was being conveyed from Stirling Depot on a charge of desertion, leapt from the compartment to the six-foot way. He was noticed by the railway officials lying on the railway, and carried to the station suffering from several injuries to the right leg. The train was stopped and brought back, and Martin sent on to the Infirmary. 

– Inverness Courier, Friday 15th November, 1901, p.5.



   At five o’clock this morning, a smash took place at Kelty Station, on the Perth and Dunfermline railway, in connection with a Perth and Sighthill goods train, by which a great amount of damage was done to railway stock and the permanent way. The Sighthill goods train left Perth at 3.45. It arrived at Kelty well up to time, and dashed into a Burntisland mineral train which was crossing up the line. The goods cut the mineral train of empty waggons in two, scattering ten of the empty waggons about both lines. The goods engine was pitched on to its side, and two of the waggons close by were wrecked. Thomas Wilson and John Haggerty, the driver and the fireman of the goods train, both residents in Glasgow, miraculously escaped without injury further than a shock to the system. When the engine toppled over, both men were thrown on to the opposite line. Mr Black, the stationmaster at Kelty, wired for breakdown staffs from St Margaret’s, Dunfermline, and Burntisland, and within an hour a big staff of men, and the St Margaret’s steam crane had arrived. Ten of the empty waggons were completely wrecked, and the goods engine had its buffers knocked off, the front knocked in, and damage done to the gearing. The down line was cleared by 9.10, but the engine and its wrecked tender still lie on the up line, and it is not expected that the wreckage will be cleared, and the permanent way repaired before two o’clock in the afternoon. The passenger traffic was worked in the morning by a loop, with some slight detention, but with the advantage of the down line the forenoon traffic was got through without much delay. The mineral traffic is very heavy in the district, and the congestion is considerable. How Wilson and Haggerty escaped with their lives is a mystery. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Friday 15th November, 1901, p.2.


   SERIOUS RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – Shortly after nine o’clock on Saturday night, a signalman discovered a man lying unconscious on the Coalburn branch of the Caledonian Railway line a short distance from the station. He had the man attended to, when he was found to be John McMahon, miner, residing at Bellfield Terrace, Coalburn. it appears that McMahon had been trespassing on the line when he stumbled and fell. Before he could recover himself the 9.5 p.m. train from Coalburn to Glasgow passed, and the under gear of the engine is supposed to have struck him. rendering him unconscious. On examination it was found that McMahon was suffering from two severe scalp wounds, one six inches long and the other three inches. His left shoulder had been severely bruised, while the second finger of his hand had been cut off at the middle joint. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News – Friday 15th November, 1901, p.5.


   A SAD FATALITY. – On Tuesday morning the body of George Alexander Clark, partner in a firm of electrical engineers, and who resided at No. 1 The Terrace, Dullatur, was found on the Caledonian railway, near Camelon Junction. Clarke left Glasgow with the 10.15 p.m. N.B.R. train on Monday for home, but was over-carried to Larbert. From that his movements cannot be definitely ascertained, but it is believed he got on the railway with the intention of walking to Dullatur. he, however, seems to have taken the road to the left, along the Grangemouth branch, and had been struck by a passing train. From the appearance of the body it is believed Clarke had been walking on the sleepers outside the rails and had been struck on the shoulder by a buffer stop and killed instantaneously. Deceased, who was 28 years of age, and recognised as a clever electrician, was married less than a year ago, and towards the sadly bereaved widow much sympathy is expressed. 

– Kirkintilloch Gazette, Saturday 16th November, 1901, p.3.


   KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – On Saturday Henry Moore, lampman, was killed on the Caledonian Railway at the Strathnaven Junction, near Hamilton. Part of his duty was to look after the points at the mineral yard, and while he was following his usual avocation he was knocked down by the 11.10 a.m. train from Glasgow and instantaneously killed. He was one of the oldest servants in the employment of the company in the district, and was much respected. 

   A RAILWAY MYSTERY. – On Tuesday morning while David Collins, platelayer, was proceeding along the main line of the Caledonian Railway to Carstairs Junction he came upon the body of a man lying on the six-foot way between Silvermuir signal cabin and Silvermuir level crossing, near Cleghorn and Carstairs Junction Stations. He immediately lodged information with the police, and on examination it was found the deceased had a bruise on the left side of the head, while his neck was broken. Deceased, who was attired in a drab-coloured tweed jacket suit, appeared to be about 30 or 35 years of age, was of ordinary stature, fair haired, fresh complexioned, and a reddish moustache. In the pockets were found a single ticket from London to Dundee, which had been checked at Carstairs Junction Station, showing that the deceased had travelled by the English and North mail, which left Carstairs Junction about five a.m. There was one sovereign in money, a sailor’s luggage duplicate from Easton, and a charge for claiming wages at Dundee, No. 121, dated at the port of London, the 11th November, and signed by A. E. Richards, superintendent. There is no clue as to whether deceased came by his death by foul play or had fallen from the train while it was in motion, the investigations of the police so far having thrown no light on the matter. The body now lies in the mortuary at Lanark Poorhouse awaiting identification. 

   A DANGEROUS PRACTICAL JOKE. – Wm. Anderson, a Shettleston boy, was convicted at Glasgow Central Police Court on Wednesday with maliciously stretching a wire across one of the low level platforms at Queen Street Station, Glasgow. the wire was at the height of about three inches from the ground, and stretched across the whole platform from the flanking wall to the edge. The Magistrate (Bailie Dunlop) said that accused’s action might have resulted in passengers tripping over the wire at the edge of the platform and falling on the permanent way, and imposed the fine of a guinea, with the alternative of 14 days’ imprisonment. 

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, Saturday 16th November, 1901, p.6.





   At an early hour this morning an accident occurred at Perth Station, whereby an engine-driver was rather seriously injured. While the engine and van of the 6 p.m. Carlisle to Perth goods train was returning from Perth Highland Yard, approaching St Leonard’s Junction, had apparently mistaken the signal which had been hoisted for the Caledonian light engine leaving the North British Yard, with the result that the Caledonian Engine ran into the North British van. The driver of the North British engine, a man named Crone, belonging to Carlisle, was oiling the front of his engine at the time, and was knocked over and injured about the head, while his body was severely bruised. A number of the Station Ambulance Corps, under Inspector Malloch, conveyed the unfortunate man to the Perth Royal Infirmary, where his injuries were attended to. The guard of the van was inside at the time, and observed the engine approaching, and was thus able to escape with comparatively slight injuries. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Monday 18th November, 1901, p.2.



   At an early hour this morning a railway servant named James Wallace Scott, who resides at 21 Dempster Street, was accidentally crushed between an engine and a waggon while engaged in shunting operations at the James Watt Dock. He was injured about the back. After being seen by Dr Lees, Scott was removed to the Infirmary. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Tuesday 19th November, 1901, p.2.


   HEROIC RESCUE. – A heroic rescue took place at Alloa Station on Saturday night. A man evidently the worse of liquor, stumbled and fell on the rails in front of an approaching train, when Mr Norman Kelt, and old Ayr Parkhouse football player, leaped down and rescued the man from almost certain death. it was a brave act, especially when it is stated that it was a toss up as to whether Mr Kelt had time to effect the rescue are the engine had reached the spot where the man was lying. 

– Devon Valley Tribune, Tuesday 19th November, 1901, p.3.



   Robert Cummings, an elderly man, said to be a railway gateman, stationed near Fountainhall Brick Works, Millerhill, was knocked down by a train near Gorebridge early this morning, sustaining severe injuries about the head. He was found lying on the line by some workmen shortly after six o’clock, and conveyed on an engine to Edinburgh, where he was removed to the Royal Infirmary. He lies in a serious condition. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 19th November, 1901, p.2.





   James Watt, foreman surfaceman, residing at Dairsie, was knocked down by an express train at Dairsie Station at half-past six this morning, and had his left arm broken a little above the elbow. Watt was assisting a porter to carry some luggage across the line before the arrival of the first train from Dundee, when the Edinburgh express struck him and knocked him down. Dr Douglas, Cupar, dressed the injuries. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Thursday 21st November, 1901, p.3.


   SHOCKING RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – James Monoghan, a cattle drover, was seriously injured at Milnathort Station on Friday. He was standing on the footboard of a carriage when the train was in motion, and fell between the carriage and the platform. The train was immediately stopped, but half an hour elapsed before Monoghan could be released by sawing through the footboard. He was conveyed to Perth Infirmary, where he succumbed to his injuries. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 21st November, 1901, p.4.


   DEATH OF MR GEORGE CLARK. – Last week it was out mournful duty to briefly intimate the death, by accident, of Mr George Clark, son of Rev. A. Clark, Glasgow. A letter received by a friend in Wick contains further particulars of the sad affair. It would appear that Mr Clark’s death was indirectly the result of overwork. For some time he had been a little run down in health. On Saturday, 9th inst., he returned late in the evening from England where he had been for two or three days on business. On the following Monday he was detained at in the office till after ten o’clock at night, when one of his partners accompanied him to the railway station. Being tired he fell asleep, and passed his proper station to Larbert, the next station at which the train halted. He spoke to the guard, and then left the station to go, it is supposed, to Falkirk, to spend the night there. Following a common short cut, he had to walk for some distance along the Caledonian line of railway. The night was dark and stormy, and he was caught by the London mail. He was thrown on the footway between the lines. Death was probably instantaneous, but the body was not mutilated. This happened about midnight, and he was found by a surfaceman the following morning. Deceased had, with his partners, built up an extensive business. For his sorrowing relatives in this peculiarly trying bereavement heartfelt sympathy is expressed. 

– John o’ Groat Journal, Friday 22nd November, 1901, p.4.


  FATALITY AT PRINCES STREET STATION, EDINBURGH. – A sad accident occurred on Saturday night at Princes Street Station, Edinburgh, whereby an engine-driver names John Goodlet, 8 Wardlaw Street, Edinburgh, was killed. Goodlet was a driver of a train running between Princes Street Station and Leith, and in bringing it into the station ran his engine back to the watering-tank. While the boiler was being filled with water, he stepped across the rails at the time the Carstairs tram came into the station. He was knocked down by the engine, the wheels of which passed over him and when picked up the body was mutilated almost beyond recognition. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 26th November, 1901, p.4.


   A FOOLISH ACT. – A visitor to the town met with what might have been a serious accident at the railway station on Saturday night. He evidently hailed from up the Blane Valley, and came rushing into the station as the nine o’clock train for that direction was moving away. The train had got some way on, but he managed to overtake it just as the guard’s van was about to cross the bridge. He let grab at the van, but missed it, and fell heavily down on to the railway. The stationmaster went to his assistance, and found that the man was severely cut and bleeding about the face. The accident caused some little excitement at the time. 

– Kirkintilloch Herald, Wednesday 27th November, 1901, p.5.


  ATTEMPTED SUICIDE. – On Thursday forenoon an exciting incident happened at Easterhouse Station, George Aitken (34), a clerk, residing at 3 Park Terrace, Shettleston, attempted to commit suicide by jumping off the down platform on to the rails about 30 yards to the west of the booking office, and in front of the engine of a goods train running towards Glasgow. The train was drawing up at the time preparatory to being shunted on to the up line to allow the 11.9 express from Airdrie to pass, and a number of waggons passed over Aitken before the train could be stopped. Aitken sustained severe injuries to his left foot, several of the wheels of the train having passed over it. he was otherwise unhurt. the express train was stopped, and Aitken was taken on and conveyed to Glasgow, where an ambulance was in waiting and conveyed him to the Royal Infirmary, where half of his left foot was amputated. When lifted from under the train Aitken declared that he meant to kill himself. Asked if he was in any trouble, he said no. he had left that morning to go and see his father in Edinburgh. It appears that he had been suffering from religious mania, and had previously attempted to take his life. At the infirmary a man has been detailed off to watch him. 

Coatbridge Express, Wednesday 27th November, 1901, p.2.


   RAILWAY FATALITY. – Andrew Clark, who lodged at 243 Gallowgate, Glasgow, died in the Royal Infirmary on Saturday from injuries he received on the previous night, when one of his legs was taken off by an engine on the railway. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 28th November, 1901, p.4.


   HUNTLY – ACCIDENT AT THE STATION. – A somewhat alarming accident occurred at the railway station last night, resulting in serious injuries to Alexander Ewen, groom, 27 Deveron St. Ewen had been seeing a friend off by the 6.1 train, and had remained on the footboard of the carriage after the train was in motion. In endeavouring to leave the footboard, Ewen had evidently lost his footing, and slipped between the platform and the carriage. When the carriage passed he fell between it and the succeeding one. Fortunately Ewen fell in the narrow space between the rail and the platform wall – had he fallen to the other side nothing could have saved him. the unfortunate lad was taken into the waiting-room, and Dr Thomson was speedily in attendance. It was found on examination that Ewen had three of his lower ribs broken, and there was a large contused bruise on the left fore-arm. To-day Ewen is getting on as well as could be expected. 

– Huntly Express, Friday 29th November, 1901, p.5.


   SERIOUS ACCIDENT ON FIFE RAILWAY. – Last night a serious accident befel Thomas Greig, telegraph linesman, at Ladybank Junction. He had been on or near the footboard of the carriages of a passenger train, and, falling between the platform and the carriages, his legs were severely crushed, the right foot being severed from the limb, and his left leg fractured in several places. Greig was removed to the Edinburgh Infirmary. 

– The Scotsman, Friday 29th November, 1901, p.6.


   SERIOUS ACCIDENT NEAR FALKIRK HIGH STATION. – An accident by which a miner named Wm. Copeland, residing at Union Buildings, Camelon, was seriously injured, occurred between four and five o’clock on Wednesday afternoon. Copeland, it appears, had been coming home from his work and was crossing the railway about 300 yards to the west of Falkirk High Station, when he was run down by the 4.40 express train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, his right foot being severed at the ankle. The injured man was conveyed in the ambulance waggon to the Cottage Hospital, where Drs Griffiths and Clarkson, after examination, amputated the leg a little below the knee. Copeland is, we learn from inquiries made last night at the hospital, progressing very favourably. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 30th November, 1901, p.4.


   THE ACCIDENT TO A STIRLING SURFACEMAN. – Thomas Connelly, a surfaceman in the employment of the North British Railway Company, who was knocked down by the engine of a passenger train on the down main line of the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway, near the Shore Road signal-box, early on the morning of Friday, the 15th inst., and sustained severe injuries, died in the Stirling Royal Infirmary on Sabbath morning. The immediate cause of death was heart failure. Connelly was 54 years of age, and resided at 105 Lower Bridge Street, Stirling. He was a widower, and leaves a family. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 30th November, 1901, p.7.




   While Mr Morrice, residing at 68 Great Northern Road, was yesterday evening alighting from a train at Kittybrewster Railway Station, he met with a very unfortunate accident. Mr Morrice had evidently thought that the train had been brought to a standstill, but before it came to a final stop it jerked back a little, and he fell on the platform, receiving severe injuries to his head. He was immediately attended by Dr Christie, and then removed home. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Saturday 30th November, 1901, p.7.
Exit mobile version