Site icon Random Scottish History

October 1902



   Mr J. Brown, a Belfast gentleman of singular engineering ability, brought to the meeting of the British Association a large working model of a railway with an electrical train upon it. His train is composed of several corridor carriages, and as it passes through each station it drops off behind one carriage containing all the passengers who want to alight there, and picks up in front of another one with passengers from that station; all this while travelling at full speed. The carriage to be attached has to start in advance and get well under weigh by the time the train catches it, and is coupled up by a patent automatic arrangement. The scheme is only possible when each carriage has its own motors on the multiple unit system. It seems fantastic, but the engineers granted that there was more in it than was apparent at the first glance. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 1st October, 1902, p.2.





   On Monday morning a waggon trimmer named Thomas Cox, senior, 60 years of age, residing at 102 Whifflet Street, Coatbridge, met with a fatal accident while at his regular employment, on the main road leading under the pithead at No. 7 Pit, Rosehall Colliery, belonging to Robert Addie & Sons Collieries, Ltd. He had come out of the enginehouse and, without observing its approach, had stepped on the line in front of a train of 22 empty waggons and was run down, several of the waggons passing over him. His body was terribly mutilated, and death had been instantaneous. The remains were put in a coffin and removed home. 



   On Monday evening, about 5.20, another sad occurrence happened in the neighbourhood, viz., at the Calder signal cabin on the Caledonian Railway, near Calder Iron Works. Bernard Tinney (21), a platelayer, residing at 7 Dunbeth Road, Coatbridge, was employed as one of a squad of platelayers on this section of the line. The squad had been employed piling up the sleepers opposite the signalbox. Two trains coming in opposite directions had been signalled, and Tinney, unobserved by the others, had crossed both lines to get his “piece,” which was in his jacket pocket lying at the other side. Immediately the up train passed he made to recross the railway, and being unaware of the fact that the down train had also come up he stepped right in front of it and was knocked down and run over. None of his fellow-workmen knew of the occurrence until they saw his body lying terribly mangled on the four-foot way after the train had passed, his “piece” being beside him. Deceased had only recently come over from County Down, Ireland, where his father is a farmer. 

Coatbridge Express, Wednesday 1st October, 1902, p.2.


   RAILWAY BLOCK IN GLASGOW. – A somewhat serious interruption of traffic occurred yesterday forenoon on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway outside St Enoch Station at Clyde Junction. A pilot engine, overrunning the points, collided with a goods train, overturning a horse van, a fish van, and the guard’s van, blocking both the up and down lines. Nearly two hours elapsed before the obstruction could be removed. Andrew Lawrie, guard of the goods train, had a narrow escape, and suffered slight injuries. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 2nd October, 1902, p.3.


   ACCIDENT TO A SURFACEMAN. – Robert Stewart (55), surfaceman, residing at 39 Meigle Street, got his leg broken above the ankle while loading rails at a siding near the [Galashiels] Railway Station on Thursday forenoon. Stewart, along with other surfacemen, was loading rails on to a waggon, and when in the act of throwing a rail up it struck the waggon and came back on the men. One end struck the ground, and the other fell on Stewart, breaking his right leg above the ankle. He was removed to the Cottage Hospital. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 2nd October, 1902, p.3.


   A collision between a stock train and a pilot engine occurred outside St Enoch Station, Glasgow, yesterday. 

   Several vehicles were derailed, and traffic was considerably delayed. The guard of the stock train was slightly injured. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Thursday 2nd October, 1902, p.2.


   ON Saturday evening while the train which leaves Dundee at 6.45, and is timed to reach Carnoustie about 25 minutes later, was approaching Carnoustie station, a stone as big as a man’s fist crashed through the window of one of the carriages, and the splintered glass severely wounded a lady in one of her eyes. The lady, who also suffered from shock, was assisted to her home. Both the railway and police authorities are conducting investigations into the matter. The stone struck the north side of the train, indicating that it had been thrown from the roadway. The young lady was on Monday able to proceed on her journey. 

Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs, Thursday 2nd October, 1902, p.5.


   FATAL ACCIDENT AT MELROSE STATION. – Last night, while a railway porter named James Macgrew was crossing the line at Melrose Station, he was struck down by the engine of a goods train that was passing from the north. He was so severely injured that he survived only a few minutes. Deceased was a young lad belonging to Ireland, and was a pupil at the Block Telegraph School in Edinburgh. he had been sent to Melrose temporarily to take the place of one of the porters who is unwell. 

– The Scotsman, Friday 3rd October, 1902, p.6.





   THIS forenoon another instance of the danger of allowing children to play in the vicinity of railway crossings occurred at the North Muirton crossing, about a mile from Perth. It would appear that a number of children got on to the line at this crossing about half-past eleven this morning when the 10.30 a.m. train from Crieff was due there. A young lad named William Hamilton, son of John Hamilton, farm servant, failed to get off the track before he was struck by the engine. The boy’s head is badly smashed, while his right hand is also severely mutilated. The lad was taken aboard the train and conveyed to Perth Station, where he was taken charge of and conveyed to the Infirmary by Mr. J. D. Smith of the Ambulance Corps. Dr Marshall and Dr Stirling attended to the lad’s injuries, but he still lies in a very critical condition. 

   On inquiry at the Infirmary this afternoon we learn that the lad is so seriously injured that it is not expected he will recover. 

Perthshire Advertiser, Friday 3rd October, 1902, p.3.


   An Expensive Freak. – The other morning, shortly after midnight, the two engine cleaners employed at the Caledonian Railway Station, Irvine, took an engine out of the shed and drove along the line towards Kilwinning. On returning the engine overan the points, left the rails, and ploughed along the permanent way for upwards of a hundred yards, and then fell over on its side. the young men decamped, and the blocking only became known about two o’clock, when the signalman went on duty. The damage done is estimated at £400. 

– West Lothian Courier, Friday 2nd October, 1902, p.3.


   SERIOUS ACCIDENT AT ARDROSSAN HARBOUR. – A youth, named John Brackenridge, was the victim of a serious accident which occurred at Ardrossan Harbour on Saturday night. Along with some companions he was waiting the arrival of the Arran steamer, and while amusing himself in a railway goods van he failed to observe a train load of waggons which were approaching. Brackenridge was knocked down on to the rails and a waggon passed over his arm almost severing it from the body. After he had received medical attention he was removed to Kilmarnock Infirmary. 

– Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Friday 3rd October, 1902, p.5.


   NARROW ESCAPE ON THE RAILWAY. – On Friday, while the caretaker of the gates at the level crossing on the Caledonian railway leading to the residence of Mr W. J. Sandford-Thompson, was opening the gates to allow a cab to pass through, he has a narrow escape of being run down by an engine. The 1.50 train from Montrose to Dubton turned the corner, and the driver noticing the danger, applied the brakes and enabled the man to get out of the way. The train was brought to a standstill a few yards past the gates, no damage having been done. 

– Montrose Standard, Friday 3rd October, 1902, p.5.


   SHOCKING RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Thursday afternoon a lad 14 years of age, named Thomas Wilcox, residing at Sunnybrae, Bonny bridge, and employed as an apprentice clerk at the N.B. Railway station at High Bonnybridge, met his death in a most shocking manner. The train from Falkirk, due at Bonnybridge at 4.15 had just arrived, and Wilcox was in the act of crossing the line as this time from the north to the south platform when he was knocked down by a mineral train which was coming in the opposite direction on the up main line. The wheels of the train passed over his legs and body, mangling him in a frightful manner. Much sympathy is being expressed for his parents in this distressing calamity. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 4th October, 1902, p.7.


   NAVVY KILLED. – On Saturday evening a navvy, who was known by the name of Peter Ogilvie, was dead on the public road at Arnbrae railway bridge. Deceased was seen in the town the worse for drink late in the evening, and it seems he must have been going to the huts at Burnhead, where he was employed in connection with the water works, and mistaking the road, had gone along the Messrs Baird’s railway line and fallen over the bridge which spans the road at Arnbrae. the body was taken to the mortuary at the cemetery, and deceased, who was about 40 years of age, is thought to have belonged to Campsie or Balfron. 

   ACCIDENT TO A RAILWAY GUARD. – Hector Munro, residing at Bonnybridge, passenger guard on the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway, met with an accident whilst with the 7.43 P.M. train from the city to Kilsyth on Saturday night. In attempting to enter the van while the train was moving out of Bishopbriggs Station the door swung to, and striking him on the head, caused him to let go his hold of the rail, and he was thrown on to the platform, and received considerable injury about the face and head. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 4th October, 1902, p.6.







   Fortunately the entraining of the large number of excursionists who left Dundee from the various railway stations this morning was accomplished without mishap, and the many special trains were got well away. 

   One accident which happened en route to a young Dundee excursionist, however, has to be recorded. 

   The mishap occurred on an N.B.R. special train to the North while it was at Laurencekirk. 

   The train was passing that Mearns town between eight and nine this morning when a child named John Rait, 4 years of age, was observed to fall from one of the carriages about 100 yards north of the signal box. 

   The train was at once stopped, and medical assistance was summoned. 

   It was found that the boy’s left leg was broken, and that his forehead and face were severely cut. 

   The injuries are not considered fatal. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Monday 13th October, 1902, p.4.


   Mr Wm. Gillies, a well-known contractor and timber merchant, dropped down dead yesterday afternoon as he was entering Inverness Railway Station. 

   Alexander Hilton (4), son of John Hilton, horse-breaker, Lochmaben, fell over the parapet of a railway bridge, and was picked up in an unconscious state, having sustained a fracture of the skull. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Tuesday 14th October, 1902, p.4.



   Notwithstanding the heavy traffic on the local lines, no serious accidents, with the exception of that at Laurencekirk, were reported up to a late hour in the evening. During the afternoon an incident, thrilling enough at the time, but fortunately without serious result, occurred at one of the stations. A passenger train arrived at the station, and before it had come to a standstill a gentleman passenger leaped out. The train at the time was going at a fair speed. the man slipped, and his legs fell between the platform and the footboard. The accident was fortunately observed, and the man was promptly rescued from his perilous position. 

– Dundee Courier, Tuesday 14th October, 1902, p.5.







   Between six and seven o’clock this morning an accident, which fortunately had no serious result beyond destroying a considerable part of the permanent way, occurred on the Caledonian Railway branch line from Dubton to Montrose. 

   At 6 a.m. as usual an engine left Montrose goods station for Dubton to bring any traffic which had been left there during the night, and it was on its return journey with about a score of waggons and a van when the mishap took place. 

   There is a sharp incline on the line from Dubton until the disused Dryleys Brick Works are reached, about a quarter of a mile distant. 

   Everything went right until the Brick Works were passed, and shortly after that the spring of one of the waggons about the middle of the train broke, the vehicle left the rails, and an examination of the sleepers showed that for about 150 yards the only damage done was the cutting of the sleepers by the wheels of that waggon. 

   As the train proceeded further other waggons were displaced from the middle, and by the time the train stopped 13 or 14 were off the line, the locomotive and the half-dozen vehicles immediately behind it only keeping the rails. 

   All remained upright, and the guard (George Murray) escaped without injury. 

   As intimated, the damage to the permanent way was considerable. It extended from a point slightly beyond the Brick Works to the bridge which crosses the line at Broomfield Farm, a distance of between three and four hundred yards. 

   Many of the sleepers were smashed to matchwood, and for a considerable distance the rails were distorted and widened. 

   The breakdown squads were telegraphed for, and were speedily on the scene under the following officials:- Mr McQueen, engineer’s department, Forfar; Mr Henderson, locomotive department, Forfar; Inspector Jamieson, Forfar; and Inspector Jamieson, Laurencekirk. Mr Peter Mutch, stationmaster, Montrose, and Mr Stott, Dubton, were also early on the spot, and rendered material assistance in negotiating the block. 

   All passengers from Dubton for Montrose had to leave their trains and walk for about a quarter of a mile, and at first among the debris that was no easy matter. However, as the gangs arrived and set to work a different complexion was soon put on the situation, and excellent progress was made by the men under the above-named officials. 

   It was expected that the line would be cleared for traffic between twelve and one o’clock. 

   The waggons were replaced, and the line, which is a single one between Dubton and Montrose, was opened for traffic between one and two o’clock. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Wednesday 15th October, 1902, p.5.


   Serious Accident to a Child. – A shocking accident, the victim of which was a child, occurred in connection with one of the excursionists from Dundee. John Rait (4), whose parents reside in Bank Street, Lochee, sustained serious injury resulting from his falling from a train. The young lad, in charge of relatives, was a passenger on an excursion train leaving Dundee early in the day for Aberdeen and the North. Between eight and nine o’clock in the morning the train was passing Laurencekirk, when the door of the compartment accommodating Rait and his friends suddenly burst open, and, before a hand could be raised to save him, the child was precipitated from the carriage. When the accident occurred the train had just cleared the station. The signalman on duty, observing the open door and the commotion which the accident had created, at once stopped the train. About a hundred yards north of the signal-box the railway officials picked up the unfortunate child. Medical aid was summoned, when it was ascertained that the lad had sustained injuries of a serious character. His left leg was broken, and he was suffering from wounds about the face and head. In the afternoon Rait was removed to Dundee, and was conveyed to the Infirmary in the ambulance van. Late on Monday night the lad had recovered consciousness, and was progressing favourably. 

– Stonehaven Journal, Thursday 16th October, 1902, p.2.


   The passengers who travelled to Glasgow by the 10.15 train on Wednesday morning were packed like the proverbial herring in a box. The train, in fact, was so crowded, that on arrival at Uddingston not a seat could be found, and Sir William Rattigan, M.P., who joined the train at Uddingston, had to take his place in the guard’s van along with a crowd of other passengers who could not get seats, and stand during the journey. The Caledonian Railway Company usually make special provision for the monthly holiday traffic but there was evidently some neglect on Wednesday last, when the above incident occurred. The amusing thing about it is, however, that Sir William, with a first-class ticket, had to stand in the guard’s van, while many of the passengers with third class tickets were crowded into the first class compartments. 

Motherwell Times, Friday 17th October, 1902, p.3.


   CHILD KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – A distressing incident occurred on the branch line of the Caledonian Railway, near Thornlie Farm, whereby Thomas Hughes, a little boy of three years of age, son of John Hughes, carter, Stewarton Street, lost his life. It appears that the boy, while playing with some other children, had wandered on to the line, when he was accidentally knocked down by an engine attached to a train of empty carriages. When picked up the child was alive, but medical examination revealed that his skull had been fractured and his brain lacerated, and he died some hours later as a result of these injuries. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News, Friday 17th October, 1902, p.5.








   A waggon laden with several blocks of stone, of an average weight of two tons, upset the railway traffic in the Carse of Gowrie last night. 

   The waggon formed part of a train of 13 waggons which was being shunted into the goods yard at Invergowrie. The waggon which caused the accident was the last one in the train, and as its contents were to be used in the construction of a bridge at Invergowrie, the waggon was to have been left in the goods yard. 

   The points by which access is obtained from the main line to the yard are some distance east of the passenger station. Everything appeared to be in proper condition, but those in the vicinity were alarmed to observe the wheels of the waggon which contained the blocks of masonry jump the rails. 

   Before anything could be done to avert disaster the waggon leaped bodily from the rails, and its weight caused it to swing across the main line. The track was completely blocked. One end of the waggon rested on the down line, while the other end obstructed the up rails. 

   Much damage was caused to the permanent way. Both lines of rails suffered severely. The rails and chairs were torn up and smashed, while the wheels of the waggon ploughed into the ground, and sunk to the depth of the axles. 

   Fully conscious of the serious nature of the accident, the officials at Invergowrie promptly sent intimation of the matter to the authorities at Dundee. Breakdown squads were quickly on the scene, under the direction of Mr West, Dundee, and Mr McLaren, Perth. 

   The work of clearing the line was attended with much difficulty, and although the men engaged in the task worked with the greatest energy, it was not until a late hour in the evening that the damage was thoroughly repaired. 

   The accident occurred at an extremely awkward hour. A number of passenger trains from Perth and Glasgow, and also from Dundee, pass over the line between five and eight o’clock in the evening, and these were all seriously delayed. Several of the trains were nearly two hours late in getting past the scene of the smash. 

Passengers to Perth and other places suffered considerable inconvenience, while passengers desirous of reaching Dundee in the evening from the various Carse stations were also placed in an awkward position. About six o’clock in the evening the efforts of the breakdown gangs were so far successful as to make one of the lines of rails open for traffic. 

   Traffic was throughout the evening carried on by means of the single-line system, but notwithstanding the exertions of the station officials a good deal of inconvenience was caused to passengers. Owing to the position of the derailed waggon, the cross-over lines at Invergowrie could not be utilised, and the single line was worked between Ninewells and Longforgan. 

– Dundee Courier, Friday 17th October, 1902, p.4.



   This morning a fatal accident occurred at Dalbeattie Railway Station. William Scott, employed at Messrs Fraser & Young’s granite crushing mills, was engaged pushing a waggon along the line when an engine shunting on the same line sent up the next waggon. Scott’s head was caught between the buffers, and death was almost instantaneous. Scott leaves a widow and a young family. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Saturday 18th October, 1902, p.3.



   At one o’clock on Monday morning, while Thos. Philip (18), engine-cleaner, 10 Kintore Place, Aberdeen, was standing on a stool cleaning an engine within the Great North of Scotland Railway Company’s engine sheds at Kittybrewster he slipped and fell to the ground on his left shoulder. He was accompanied to the Royal Infirmary by a fellow-workman, where it was found that his shoulder had been dislocated and bruised. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 22nd October, 1902, p.5.




   The Second Division of the Court of Session to-day disposed of an appeal by the defenders in an action by John Crossan, 29 Stonelaw Street, Rutherglen, against the Caledonian Railway Company for £500 damages for personal injuries. On 25th April, 1901, the pursuer joined one of the defenders’ trains at Clydebank Station. Between Partick Central Station and Stobcross he leant over to return a pipe to a man sitting in the opposite corner of the carriage, and in getting back to his seat he stumbled against the door, which flew open and he fell on to the railway. The pursuer held that it was the duty of the railway company to see that the doors of the carriages of the train were securely fastened, and averred that the accident was the result of their neglect to do so. The defenders stated that the doors of the compartments were fastened before the train left Partick Central. Sheriff-Substitute Strachan thought the railway company were at fault and awarded the pursuer £100 damages with expenses. To-day the Court unanimously affirmed that decision. Lord Young said there was a duty upon those inside any compartment to take due and reasonable care of themselves. Sometimes people jumped into trains just as they were starting, and there was no opportunity on the part of the porters to shut the doors. That might occur without any fault on the part of the railway servants, but he did not think there was any such contribution of negligence by pursuer as to exclude him from making the claim which the Sheriff-Substitute had sustained. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Friday 24th October, 1902, p.3.


   ACCIDENT. – John Melrose, labourer, Kelvinhead, on Wednesday night, at Kilsyth Old Station, received severe laceration of the ear and face through falling upon rough metal. Melrose had been awaiting passengers by the late train, and was in the act of taking the quarter cover off the pony when the engine whistle caused the animal to bolt. Melrose ran alongside the pony in the endeavour to stop it, but fell on the rough metal which had been spread on the road for the roller. Drs Lambie and Young dressed the injuries. 

Kirkiintilloch Gazette, Saturday 25th October, 1902, p.3.


   ACCIDENT IN EDINBURGH GASWORKS. – A labourer named Henry Butters was yesterday admitted to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary suffering from severe injuries sustained at the gasworks in New Street, Edinburgh. The injured man had early yesterday morning been engaged in the carbonising department of the works, and had, it is supposed, occasion to be working near the rails on which the works engine travels. While the engine and two waggons were going along the line, a sudden stoppage occurred. The engine driver then went to see the cause, and discovered Butters on his hands and knees between the rails. No one saw the accident happen, and shortly before the engine started, a shunter had scanned the line and reported it clear. The unfortunate man was badly crushed, and his injuries are of an internal character. 

– The Scotsman, Saturday 25th October, 1902, p.8.


   FATAL ACCIDENT AT JUNIPER GREEN. – On the arrival of the 8.8 train from Balerno at Juniper Green on Saturday night, the engine–driver reported that some person had been run over a short distance from the station. A search was made, and the body of a man, horribly mutilated, was found about eighty yards west of the west end platform. Subsequently the body was identified as that of Thomas Ferguson, grocer and spirit merchant, 51 St Leonard Street, Edinburgh, residing at Woodhall Cottage, Juniper Green. The spot at which the body was found is about eighty yards from the deceased’s house. Ferguson had left his house at 8.15 to get the train for Edinburgh. He had been in the habit of climbing the fence at the south side of his garden, then descending the embankment leading to the station, this being a short cut for the station. Ferguson was twenty-eight years of age and unmarried. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 27th October, 1902, p.6.



   On Saturday while the 6.40 a.m. train from Edinburgh Waverley was passing the signal-box near Bannockburn, the left trailing spring hammer of the engine broke, and the detached part flew out and passed through the glass door of the cabin, travelling to the other end of the box. It broke the cupboard containing the batteries, smashing the battery and completely breaking down the block telegraph between Stirling and Bannockburn. The engine was travelling at a high rate of speed at the time. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Monday 27th October, 1902, p.4.





   A fatal accident occurred yesterday on the Great North of Scotland Railway, near Wardhouse. It appears that Mrs McKay, accompanied by six of her family, all boys, were travelling from Buckie to Aberdeen by the ordinary train due to reach the Joint Station at 9.55, for the purpose of joining her husband, who is at present residing at 119 Gallowgate. When the train was about halfway between Wardhouse and Insch one of the boys, about five years of age, left the compartment of the corridor carriage and went to the other end of the carriage. It is not known how he fell out, but it is supposed that he had been looking out of the window and overbalanced himself, or that he lifted the handle of the door and opened it, and had thus fallen out on to the line. The boy was at once missed, and the communication cord was pulled by one of his brothers, who was assisted by two other passengers, but the train did not stop. On arrival at Insch a search party was formed, and the boy was found lying near the line. The lad was still alive when picked up, but he only survived a few minutes. The body was taken to Aberdeen by the next train, and conveyed to the Police Mortuary in Lodge Walk. The mother of the lad had to be forcibly restrained from jumping out after her child. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 29th October, 1902, p.4.


   RUN DOWN BY A TRAIN. – On Thursday morning the mangled body of a man about thirty-five years of age was found on the Caledonian Railway, about thirty yards from Cambuslang Railway Station, and scattered over the line was a quantity of brass. The officials identified the brass as having been stolen from Westburn Colliery, Cambuslang. The body was removed to Cambuslang police station for identification. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 30th October, 1902, p.4.




   Archibald Newton, a foreman lampman employed by the Caledonian Railway Company, was cleaning lamps on the top of a carriage at Slateford Station last Friday night, when he overbalanced, and in falling struck one of the buffers. He was removed to the Royal Infirmary suffering from terrible external injuries, to which he succumbed next morning. Newton lived in Orwell Terrace, Edinburgh. 

– West Lothian Courier, Friday 31st October, 1902, p.3.


   MAN KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – On Tuesday morning the driver of a goods train from the South, on arriving at Arbroath Station, reported that he had seen the body of a man lying in the four-foot way in a shockingly mutilated condition. The body was brought to the police mortuary, where it was afterwards identified as that of David Allerdice, a mechanic, who resided with his widowed mother in Abbot Street. Allerdice, who was 21 years of age, left his mother’s house on Monday night between seven and eight o’clock, and had not been seen again until his body was found as described.

– Montrose, Arbroath and Brechin Review; and Forfar and Kincardineshire Advertiser, Friday 31st October, 1902, p.3.
Exit mobile version