[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]
THORNLIEBANK, a village in the parish of Eastwood, Renfrewshire, about 1½ mile south of Pollockshaws, upon the rivulet called Auldhouse-burn. It originated in the manufactories and other works established here about the end of the 18th century. The whole village, except three small tenements, belongs to Messrs. J. and W. Crum, and Co., proprietors of extensive works. Calico-printing, cotton-spinning, weaving by power and hand-loom and bleaching, are carried on. The population amounts to about 1,500. A preaching-station of the Associate Synod was formed here in February, 1836, and at the same time a building – originally erected for a school-house – was completed as a place of worship. It cost the benevolent proprietors – Messrs. Crum, and Co. – £450, and is held under lease at a nominal rent. Sittings 407. A regular congregation, with a minister, has since been formed. The Messrs. Crum likewise support two free schools here for the children of their work-people.