[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]
DERVAL, or DERVILLE, a regularly built, prosperous, manufacturing village, on Irvine water, at the southern verge of the parish of Loudon, Ayrshire. It is 9 miles east of Kilmarnock, on the road between that town and Strathaven. In 1811, it contained about 400 inhabitants; in 1836, 150 houses, and 1,160 inhabitants. The lands of Derval anciently belonged to the Knights Templars, and were independent of tenure, not even holding of the Crown.
One thought on “Derval, p.314.”