Site icon Random Scottish History

October 1905

[Scottish Railway Incidents (1905) Contents]


   An accident occurred at Culter Station on Saturday morning whereby a fireman named William McPherson, residing at Woodside, narrowly escaped with his life. While the train leaving Aberdeen at 7.10 a.m. was proceeding through the station he was on the top of the tender of the engine trimming coals, when his head came in contact with the overhead bridge between the up and down platforms. He was knocked over the end of the tender, but fortunately his fall was arrested by the couplings between the engine and the first carriage. The train was speedily brought to a standstill, and the man rescued from his perilous position. Beyond a bruise on the forehead, and being somewhat stunned by his fall, he was otherwise uninjured. Although unfit to continue on duty, he was able to proceed home. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Monday 2nd October, 1905, p.4. 



   About midnight on Saturday a man, named John Robertson, residing in Dunfermline, wandered on to the railway near Inverkeithing Station. Choosing what he evidently considered to be a sheltered nook, he lay down to sleep between the platform and the rails. The engine of a passing train caught his left leg, and injured it shockingly. His cries led to his discovery, and he was speedily removed to Dunfermline Cottage Hospital. His escape from death is marvellous. 



   The body of Thomas Macdonald, railway surfaceman, Inverness, has been found in a hut on the Highland Railway line between Bunchrew and Lentran stations. Deceased, who was about 50 years of age, left home in the morning, and as he failed to return at night a search was made for him. He was ultimately found in a sitting position, and quite dead. Death was due to natural causes. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 2nd October, 1905, p.4. 



   Conrad Ward (48), Bellshill Road, Uddingston, was working along with others on the main line of the Caledonian Railway at Gushetfaulds, yesterday, when he failed to observe a train of empty carriages approaching. 

   The other men were able to get clear, but Ward was struck by the engine and knocked down, the wheels passing over his right leg and severing it. The left leg was also fractured and his head was injured. He died in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, shortly after being admitted. 

– Daily Record, Tuesday 3rd October, 1905, p.3. 





   Yesterday morning a serious accident occurred in the mineral depot of the Caledonian Railway at London Road, Glasgow, to a young man named Samuel Rankin. Rankin was working the crane, and while it was lifting a load of between two and three tons and lowering it to the ground he failed to apply the check, with the result that it ran at a good speed, the handle striking Rankin on the back. 

   The young fellow was removed to the Royal Infirmary suffering from internal injuries. 


   While a boy of 10 – James McFarlane – who resides with his widowed mother at 6 Grace Street, Anderston, was gathering coals near the North British Railway Goods Station in Galbraith Streeet, he met with a serious mishap, his left leg being run over by a wagon. 

   He had been underneath some wagons at the time, when suddenly the engine to which they were attached moved off. The boy, realising his danger, rushed out, but before he got clear, the wheels of one of the wagons passed over the calf of his leg, inflicting very severe injury. He was removed to the Western Infirmary. 

– Daily Record, Wednesday 4th October, 1905, p.3. 

   THREE MEN DROWNED IN THE SPEY. – A very distressing drowning accident occurred in the Spey at the railway bridge between Orton and Keith, about three-quarters of a mile from Orten Station, about eleven o’clock yesterday forenoon, when three men lost their lives. During the night the Spey had risen considerably, and about the time of the accident was running fully forty inches above the natural flow. The bridge is being renovated, and a number of piles are standing in the bed of the river, supported by guy ropes. The engineer, fearing for the safety of the guy ropes, had a boat launched for the purpose of more firmly securing them. Seven men were in the boat, and seven were at the end of a rope made fast to the boat, which was allowed to glide down the river to the guy ropes. The boat suddenly capsized in mid-stream. Four of the men managed to save themselves, but three were carried away and drowned despite all efforts to save them. The men who were drowned are Alexander Mitchell, Elgin; William Smith, Port Gordon; and A. Mantach, Keith. Mitchell and Smith are both married, Smith leaving a widow and twelve children. The engineer is Mr Maxwell, of Head & Wrightson, Thornaby-on-Tees. 

– Scotsman, Friday 6th October, 1905, p.4. 

   MAN KILLED ON THE RAILWAY IN FIFE. – Early yesterday morning the mutilated body of a man was found on the railway near Cowdenbeath old station. It was afterwards identified as that of Francis Comisky, miner, an unmarried man, who lived at Marion Row, Moss Morran. 

– Scotsman, Saturday 7th October, 1905, p.8. 

   MAN KILLED ON THE BUCHAN RAILWAY. – About nine o’clock yesterday morning a railway servant named John Simpson, who resided at Foresters’ Terrace, Ellon, met with his death through an accident. He had been crossing the line near the north cabin, when, not observing the approach of the 8.55 Boddam train, he was knocked down, and received injuries from which he died in a short time. Simpson, who had been in the railway company’s service for thirty years, is survived by a widow and one son. 


   FATAL ACCIDENT AT FORT-WILLIAM. – A railway gatekeeper, named William Macmillan, was instantaneously killed at a level crossing on the West Highland Railway at Fort-William yesterday. Macmillan, who was between fifty and sixty years of age, had been crossing the line when the engine of the morning south-going train was being shunted into the station, and was run down before he could get clear, and his head was severed from the trunk. 

– Scotsman, Saturday 7th October, 1905, p.12. 



   LAST Saturday night a man named Alexander Wylie, employed as a farm servant at Dalmally, was killed on the railway near Connel Ferry. Wylie had left Oban by the 7 p.m. train, intending to travel to Dalmally, but left the train at Connel Ferry, and had gone out of the station. He returned, however, and was last seen crossing the overbridge about 8 p.m. On arrival of the 8.30 p.m. train in Oban the driver reported that he had run over some object west of the station and on the police proceeding to the place Wylie’s remains were found. The body was conveyed back to the mortuary at Oban, of which place Wylie was a native. 

– Strathearn Herald, Saturday 7th October, 1905, p.3. 



   A singular occurrence was reported in Paisley yesterday afternoon. 

   After a train had passed through St. James’s Station, on the Caledonian Railway, attention was directed to a child ly9ing in the six-foot way, a short distance along the line. The station official brought the little one in, when it was discovered that he was Norman Hogg, aged 2½ years, who lives near by at Richmond Bank Cottage. It is supposed that he had wandered on to the railway and been struck by a passing train. 

   There is a cut on the right side of his neck, caused probably by the step of a locomotive. He was taken to the infirmary, where his injuries were attended to. 

– Daily Record, Tuesday 10th October, 1905, p.3. 

   ELLON – RAILWAY FATALITY. – A sad accident occurred at the Ellon Railway Station on Friday morning, by which John Simpson, residing at Forester’s Terrace, met his death. Simpson was crossing the line near the north cabin, and failed to observe the approach of the 8.55 Boddam train. He was knocked down and received terrible injuries to the lower part of his body, the spine and three ribs being broken. He was at once conveyed to the stationmaster’s room, where Dr Marr was promptly in attendance. He was afterwards carried home on a stretcher, but died 1½ hours later. Deceased, who was a surfaceman, was about 70 years of age. He had been in the employment of the railway company for about 30 years, and was highly respected in Ellon. He leaves a widow and a grown-up son, to whom much sympathy is extended in their tragic bereavement. 

– Buchan Observer and East Aberdeenshire Advertiser, Tuesday 10th October, 1905, p.4. 

   RAILWAY FATALITY AT GLASGOW. – Shortly after eight o’clock yesterday morning the body of a labourer named Thomas Eccles, sixty years of age, and residing at 68 St James Street, Kinning Park, Glasgow, was found lying on the rails of the Caledonian Company at Mavisbank Quay. The head was completely severed from the body. Eccles was observed a short time before on the line of rails, and it was evident that an engine going westwards had struck him, and that the wheels had passed over his neck. 

– Scotsman, Wednesday 11th October, 1905, p.8. 

   SURFACEMEN KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – Two surfacemen named Alexander McClue (50) and John Howat (60) were killed on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway by being run down by a passing train near Dunaskin Junction, yesterday. They were engaged on the permanent way, when a passenger train, the approach of which they failed to notice, ran them down. McClue was killed on the spot, and Howat died in Ayr County Hospital. McClue resided at Dalmellington, and HOwat belonged to Dalbeattie. 

– Scotsman, Wednesday 11th October, 1905, p.9. 





   The Council of St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association has decided to award its silver medal for saving life on land to Constable Hector Campbell, of the Lanarkshire Constabulary, for saving a man from being run over by a railway train at Gartcosh Station on 14th July last. 

   On the occasion in question the man fell from the platform, and was lying across the rails just when the Perth express was approaching the station. Constable Campbell, realising the situation, jumped on to the rails and lifted the man on to the platform, succeeding in regaining the platform himself just as the express dashed past the station. So little time for rescue was there that the man’s cap, which Constable Campbell held in his hand, was carried from his grasp by the engine of the train. 

– Daily Record, Thursday 12th October, 1905, p.3. 

   SOUTER’S ACCIDENT IN EDINBURGH. – In company with a number of other holiday-makers, Mr John Ingles, printer’s machineman, Kirk Wynd, travelled to Edinburgh on Friday morning. On Saturday evening he went to the Waverley Station to see some of his friends off by the 10 o’clock Pullman, when, as the train moved off, one of the door handles caught his coat and dragged him down between the platform and the train. Three coaches passed over him before Ingles could be assisted. Then the passengers who ran to the scene of the accident were surprised to find that he had escaped with a severe cut on the head and an injury to his right hand. He was conveyed to the Royal Infirmary, and was brought home on Sunday night. Happily, he is now well on the way to recovery. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 12th October, 1905, p.2. 

   ACCIDENT AT NEW HAILES STATION. – On Thursday night of last week, Francis Grant, married, a joiner in the employment of the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company, and residing at New Craighall, met with an accident at New Hailes Railway Station, where by one of his legs was broken. He was alighting from a train that had come from Musselburgh when he slipped. A policeman, it is said, who was the next to alight, not noticing him, trampled on Grant, who, when picking up, was found with one of his legs broken. Dr Robertson, Musselburgh, attended him, and he was later on that night removed in the Niddrie Colliery ambulance waggon to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. 

– Musselburgh News, Friday 13th October, 1905, p.4. 

   Edwards Larkins, a miner, 45 years of age, residing in Uddingston, has died in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, as the result of injuries sustained by him at Burnbank (North British) Railway Station on Saturday night. He was awaiting a train home, when a Bellshill train came up. He attempted to enter it while in motion, but lost his hold, and fell between the footboard and the platform. He was dragged a distance of 30 yards, and, before he could be extricated, part of the footboard had to be sawed away. 

– Coatbridge Leader, Saturday 14th October, 1905, p.3. 

   ACCIDENT. – John Sheach, a carter, 36 years of age, residing at Dunnikier Road, met with an accident at Sinclairtown Station on Monday morning. Sheach, who is employed by the Kirkcaldy and Leith Packet Company was driving a horse yoked to a cart through Sinclairtown Station when the whistle of one of the locomotives was sounded, causing the horse to run off. While sitting in the cart, Sheach tried to stop the horse, but in taking a sharp turn the cart was overturned and the unfortunate man thrown out. His head struck one of the sleepers, and he was rendered unconscious. Dr Proudfoot was called and finding the man suffering from slight concussion of the brain, ordered his removal to the Cottage Hospital, where he was attended by Dr D. G. McNab. Shortly after reaching the hospital Sheach regained consciousness, and his injuries are not regarded as of a serious nature. 


   NARROW ESCAPE AT THE RAILWAY STATION. – On Monday night, between eight and nine o’clock, an exciting incident was witnessed at Dysart Station which, but for the prompt action of a local gentleman, might have resulted in a triple fatality. A man and woman, along with a child, were crossing the rails from the north to the south platform just after the 8.32 p.m. train had left the station, and the departing train prevented them from noticing a fast train which came round the curve at the time. Its approach was, however, observed by a gentleman on the south platform, who shouted to the party on the rails to go back. They appeared to become confused, and did not obey the warning, but came straight on. Another shout from the gentleman on the platform caused the man to throw the child on the platform, while the woman was also dexterously got clear. By this time the fast train was nearing the spot, and, just as the last of the party was pulled on the platform by the gentleman in question, it dashed through the station. The man escaped death by a hairbreadth, and great credit attaches to the plucky gentleman who assisted him to escape, as, had the man been caught by the engine, his rescuer would almost certainly have been drawn in along with him and killed. 

– Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian, Saturday 14th October, 1905, p.5. 







Body Unidentified. 


   A fatality of a shocking description occurred on the Joint Line near Dundee yesterday, a man being cut in two by a passenger train. The occurrence is attended by circumstances of a peculiar and mysterious character, inasmuch as, though taking place in broad daylight and at a point where there are invariably a number of workmen or passers-by, the fatality was unobserved. Indeed, a party of surfacemen engaged a short distance off were unaware of the tragedy till notified by the driver of a passing goods train that the body was lying on the track. 


   The first indication of the affair was obtained at Dundee East Station on the arrival of the 2.45 train from Forfar. On drawing up at the platform the driver informed the officials that he thought the train had gone over some object shortly after passing the bridge at Stannergate Oilcake Works. An examination was at once made of the engine, and the fears of the driver were confirmed, the driving wheel and sand pipes being found bespattered with blood. On being notified of the discovery Mr A. Hunter, stationmaster, at once took steps to have the line searched. An engine was despatched towards Stannergate, Mr Hunter and one of his staff being on board. Shortly before reaching the bridge two surfacemen were found in charge of the body, the driver of a goods train from Kingennie which came behind the passenger train having informed them that the body was lying on the track. 


   The remains were found to be in a terrible state of mutilation, the wheels having passed over them about the middle, cutting the body in two. All the limbs were cut and the head badly smashed, though the features were scarcely touched and remained quite recognisable. His remains were conveyed to Stannergate Station and taken to Dundee by train, being subsequently removed to the Mortuary. The affair occurred outwith the Dundee boundary, and Inspector Clark and Constable Edwards, Dundee, and Constable Stewart, Fintry, of the County Constabulary, took charge of the matter and made investigations with a view of establishing the identity of the unfortunate man. 

   The victim was a man of the tradesman type apparently about fifty years of age. His features were thin, and his hair was grey, while his moustache was brown mixed with grey. His wearing apparel consisted of a dark tweed suit, the jacket having two-inch square check; dark single peak cap, a shepherd tartan scarf of a small check, Kirkcaldy striped shirt, a grey woollen shirt, grey socks, plain sole lacing boots with indiarubber heels. Two front teeth in upper jaw are missing. 


   Mystery attends the circumstances under which the man reached the railway. The body was found 100 yards east from the bridge, and the engine-driver and fireman, who were watching the signal thirty yards further west saw no signs of the man, while surfacemen working some distance nearer Dundee were unaware of the affair. It was ascertained that for some time previous to the passing of the passenger train a man answering the description of the deceased was observed wandering about the spare ground in the vicinity of the bridge. 

– Dundee Courier, Saturday 14th October, 1905, p.5. 

   GIFT TO RAILWAY EMPLOYEES. – The railway servants at Huntly Station have again received a much-appreciated present of rabbits from Colonel Cumberland, Huntly Lodge. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Saturday 14th October, 1905, p.8. 

   ACCIDENT AT BANFF RAILWAY STATION. – While proceeding to water an engine to be attached to the 7.55 train from Banff Harbour Station on Thursday night, James Johnstone, fireman, while pulling the cord to draw the water from the tank, broke it and fell backwards on to the gangway protecting the points, sustaining severe injury to his head, back, and right leg, which rendered him unconscious for some time. The man was immediately taken home and his injuries attended to by Dr Galloway, who stated that, though severe, the injuries are not serious. A relief fireman was obtained, and the train left at the scheduled time. 

– Banffshire Reporter, Wednesday 18th October, 1905, p.3. 


   This forenoon a brakesman named Albert Godfrey met with a somewhat serious accident on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway between Lynedoch Street Station and Princes Pier. He was in charge of the brake van of a goods train, which was proceeding to Princes Pier, and was looking out to see if the brakes were acting, when his head came in contact with either the signal post or the front of the tunnel, and he was knocked out of the van. He received severe injuries to his head, and was taken to the Infirmary. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Thursday 19th October, 1905, p.2. 





   Considerable consternation was occasioned at the Upper Railway Station at Dunfermline on Saturday night by a serious accident which happened to George Mitchell, miner, Union Street, Cowdenbeath. Along with his wife, he was walking along the platform, when from some cause he stumbled on to the permanent way just as the train arriving at 6.48 from Cowdenbeath entered the station. 

   The platforms were at the time crowded by outgoing and incoming passengers, and the incident created great excitement. Mitchell fell in front of the engine, and had his right foot cut off at the ankle. He was attended at the station, and thereafter removed to the Dunfermline and West of Fife Hospital. The unfortunate man escaped death by a miracle. 

   On inquiry at the hospital last night it was ascertained that Mitchell was as well as could be expected, although, in addition to his foot being cut off, he sustained severe bruises about the body. 

– Dundee Courier, Monday 23rd October, 1905, p.7. 


   Cumnock, Saturday. – This morning the engine and tender of the milk train, by running through the “dumb” points at the station here owing to the rails being slippery from the frost, left the rails, and the fireman’s fingers being caught between the engine and tender were so badly crushed that Dr Armitage, who attended him, fears that one or more of them will have to be amputated. William Brown is his name. The breakdown gang from Hurlford was speedily on the spot, and had the line cleared, so that no delay was caused to the passenger traffic. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Monday 23rd October, 1905, p.3. 



   Fortunately railway accidents of a serious character are comparatively rare in this country, but with increasing speeds and heavier trains there is undoubtedly a greater risk of accident, and, says a correspondent of the “Daily Telegraph,” every precaution should be taken by our railway companies to minimise the danger to which the travelling public is exposed. The writer, who has travelled on the footplate of many of the fastest locomotives, has long ago been convinced that some method should be adopted of communicating with the driver of an express train from the stations en route, especially in foggy weather, at nights, and generally on long distance runs, in order to warn him in case of necessity of any obstructions, or for any reason to proceed cautiously. Signals cannot at all times be plainly seen, and when they are seen cannot convey information to the driver which it would sometimes be to his advantage to know. Some supplementary system of working express traffic could, therefore, seem to be necessary, and in this connection our railways might well follow the example set by Germany, and carry out some experiments with wireless telegraph apparatus. The United States Consul in Chemnitz reports that recent disastrous railway accidents in Germany will probably lead to the general introduction and use of wireless telegraphy on all the State railways. Two years ago exhaustive practical experiments were commenced and continued until recently on the military railway leading from Berlin to Zossen. The telegraph stations on the route were each fitted up with a transmitter and receiver, while the trains were equipped with the same apparatus. The ordinary telegraph wires along the track were also used to facilitate the work. The experiments proved conclusively that the different stations could at any time communicate with a train running at all speed, and warn it of impending danger. The use of wireless telegraphy in this connection would especially safeguard trains on one-track railways from danger. 

– Nairnshire Telegraph and General Advertiser for the Northern Counties, Tuesday 24th October, 1905, p.3. 







   The Midlothian county police authorities are at present finding plenty to do in the matter of the detection of crime. 

   The East Calder murder mystery remains to be solved, and yesterday a case involving serious problems for solution was brought under their notice. 

   At present it is impossible to say whether the police will find they have to unravel the “why and the wherefore” of an accident involving death under singularly gruesome circumstances, or whether, when the inquiries are completed, there will not be a first-class murder mystery with all its ghastly concomitants to solve. 

   A few minutes past six o’clock yesterday morning, while a number of men were proceeding to their work along the North British line near Barbauchlaw, about half-way between Inveresk Railway Station and Wallyford Bridge, about eight miles from Edinburgh, the dead body of a man of youthful appearance was found lying on the East coast main line. 

   The head was well nigh smashed to pulp, the features being almost unrecognisable; one of the arms had been torn off at the elbow, and a portion of the left side of the body was cut away as if by the wheels of a train. 

   From certain papers it was made out that the name of the deceased was Franz Ftabalink, and that he had left Hamburg on Saturday afternoon. 

   He had gone to Grimsby Docks by the City of Leeds steamship, and from there he had taken train on Monday morning for Glasgow. 

   There was a third-class railway ticket of Monday’s date from Grimsby Docks to Glasgow in his possession; and amongst other articles were a Roman Catholic prayer-book in Russian, two five-dollar American gold pieces, and 16s 2½d in British currency. 

   The police were at once apprised of the occurrence, and at first it was surmised that death had been due that morning to a fall from a train. 

   At the Waverley Station, however, it was ascertained that no emigrants had passed through during the morning, although a company of about 25 to 30, consisting of men, women and children, had gone to Glasgow on Monday night by the 6.30 train. 

   It also transpired at the Waverley Station that when the tickets belonging to this company were checked on Monday evening no mention was made by any of the travellers as to one of their number having disappeared. 

   The police at once communicated with the Russian Consul in Glasgow, who was also asked to facilitate the work of investigation. 

   The body is lying at Musselburgh mortuary, and inquiries are now being actively prosecuted to find out what actually happened in the corridor carriage before Ftabalink was thrown on the permanent way – whether he was flung out of the carriage by his companions or whether he fell out by accident? 

   At the County Police Office, Edinburgh, yesterday evening, it was reported that Ftabalink was travelling in the company of a number of Russian Poles who were going to Glengarnock, Motherwell, and to other districts in Lanarkshire. 

   Although the police investigations have not been completed, it is understood that certain of the emigrant company that passed through Edinburgh on Monday evening have yet to be seen on the subject. 

   The police state that according to their information the doors of the railway carriage, on the side of the line on which Ftabalink was found, were locked. 

– Daily Record, Wednesday 25th October, 1905, p.3. 

   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – What might have been a serious accident, took place on Saturday morning to what is known as the milk train, which runs between Cumnock and Ayr (the New Station) in front of the first passenger train, collecting the milk between these points for Glasgow. The train was shunting past the points leading into the Cumnock siding at new station, when it either jumped the points of missed them. Fortunately no serious damage was done, although the fireman had his hand severely injured, losing one or two of his fingers. The doctor was soon in attendance and had the hand dressed. The block that ensued just cleared the double rails by a few inches, so that traffic was not interrupted, and the regular passenger trains were able to proceed as usual. The breakdown gang soon had all restored to order. 

– Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Friday 27th October, 1905, p.8. 

   ACCIDENT TO A MESSAGE BOY. – A lad named Dreghorn, who was employed by Bookless Bros., Union Street, met with an unfortunate accident on Wednesday. Going to his home in Millburn Road, he took advantage of the short but dangerous cut along the railway line. He was knocked down by an engine and had an ankle injured, necessitating his removal to the Northern Infirmary. The public are warned against walking along the railway line, where the danger is especially great after nightfall. 

– Inverness Courier, Friday 27th October, 1905, p.4. 

   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Tuesday, in the neighbourhood of Croy Station, as unfortunate accident occurred to Michael Dolan, surfaceman, residing at Croy Mill. While working along with others, warning of the approach of an engine and van for Glasgow was given, the squad got clear of the rails. Dolan, however, stepped into the six-foot way, failing to observe a mineral train from Glasgow, and struck a waggon. He was picked up, and as it was considered his injuries were serious, the light train took him on to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. Dolan, who is about 19 years of age, received a nasty scalp wound, besides injury to the back, but the injuries are not so serious as at first anticipated. 


   RAILWAY GUARD KILLED. – On Saturday morning, at Falkirk High Station, William Baird, aged 30, guard, Reddingmuir, Polmont, was travelling on the footplate of a pilot engine engaged in shunting when he was caught by a waggon which had not been sent far enough into the lye. He received severe injuries to his right side, his arm and his jaw were fractured, and he died in a short time. 

– Kirkintilloch Gazette, Friday 27th October, 1905, p.3. 




   On Thursday evening considerable excitement was occasioned at Sunnyside Station just as the 6.20 train was leaving for Glasgow. A gentleman attempted to jump on the train while it was in motion, and but for the fact that Mr Beaty, stationmaster, was at hand, the chances are that he might have lost his life. As it was the man was dragged along the platform a distance of nearly forty yards. At considerable risk Mr Beaty held on to him to avoid his being crushed between the footboard and the platform, and signalled by whistling for the engine driver to stop the train. Just as the train was approaching the bridge it was brought to a standstill, and the onlookers breathed freely on seeing that all danger was past. Mr Beaty was warmly complimented by several parties who had just left the train, for his prompt and clever action at a critical moment. This is the second time since Mr Beaty came to Coatbridge that he has been instrumental in preventing serious, if not fatal, accidents. 

– Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser, Saturday 28th October, 1905, p.5. 





   A distressing railway accident resulting in the mutilation and death of two railway servants, occurred on the Peebles Railway on Saturday. 

   Three of the surfacemen working between Leadburn and Eddleston Stations, under the impression that a goods train which had passed them had stuck on the road, followed up with a bogie containing tools which had been used at a job the previous day. 

   They were, however, horrified when they had proceeded some distance along the line to discover a goods train coming in the opposite direction and with all speed they reversed the motion of the bogie in order to lessen the impact between it and the engine, but at a sharp curve, known as the Rock Corner Bridge, the men were suddenly overtaken by the train. 

   Robert Melrose, foreman surfaceman, Early Vale Crossing, and William Hall, Nether Fala, were frightfully injured. 

   Gordon Wyper, the other man, was thrown down the embankment, but escaped unhurt. 

   The bogie was smashed to atoms, and the engine was damaged. 

   Dr. Gunn, Peebles, who was in a passenger train, pronounced the condition of the injured men as hopeless. 

   Melrose, who leaves a widow and twelve of a family, and was about 50 years of age, died within half an hour of the accident, while Hall (17½), who was removed to the home of his parents, succumbed to his injuries in the evening. 

– Daily Record, Monday 30th October, 1905, p.3. 

Exit mobile version