Site icon Random Scottish History

September 1906

[Scottish Railway Incidents (1906) Contents]

   NIGHT WATCHMAN KILLED. – An accident, which has terminated fatally, occurred about two o’clock on Saturday to William Ballantyne, night-watchman at the North Saw Mills, who resided at Glenthorn, Glensburgh. The accident happened while some shunting operations were going on in the mill. From the deceased’s own story it appears that he had had occasion to go to the shunters and give them some instructions, and while proceeding towards the place where the shunters were at work, he got crushed between the locomotive and some empty waggons. Neither the engine-driver nor the shunters noticed the accident, but after a while Ballantyne obtained some assistance, and was able to walk home. He was attended to by Dr Paterson, who at the time did not think the injuries were of a serious nature. On the following two days, however, Ballantyne grew worse, and died from the effects of the accident on Monday night. The deceased, who was highly respected, was 62 years of age, and had been for the long period of 34 years in the employment of the firm, 18 or 19 of which he had served as night-watchman. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 1st September, 1906, p.5. 


   This morning about nine o’clock an alarming accident occurred to the Wemyss Bay train after it had left Paisley for Glasgow. The accident arose from the twisting of the spindle of a third class carriage, throwing the carriage off the rails. The line was badly damaged, and passenger traffic delayed for over half an hour, but fortunately no person was injured, though there was considerable confusion among the passengers when the accident took place. 




   Our Carluke correspondent telegraphs: The accident which occurred to the 10.20 p.m. train from Maryhill to Braidwood, near Carmyle, on Saturday night, seems to have had more serious results than indicated in the morning papers. The train carried a great many passengers for Carluke, Braidwood, and Crossford, which accounts for the fact that the most seriously injured belong to these districts. The two most serious cases are Samuel Steel, farmer, Hamperhill, Braidwood, and Maggie Chalmers, laundry worker, aged 20, residing at Milton Row, Carluke. The former is injured in the chest, back, and internally, and the latter has sustained a broken nose and injury to the body. They are not out of danger. The other injured are: William McLachlan, miner, Carluke, injury to head; Mrs Johnstone or Chard, shock; Lizzy Weir, Crossford, shock and body injury; Mrs Weir, Crossford, shock; and R. Fairley, Crossford, injury to face. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 3rd September, 1906, p.4. 




   After the passengers of the Grangemouth to Larbert local passenger train this morning had left their seats, the engine detached from the carriages proceeded some distance on the main line for the purpose of shunting on to the loop line. The driver, however, reversed his engine before the points had been altered, with the result that he backed at a good speed full tilt into the carriages he had just left, thereby causing considerable damage, some of the carriages being telescoped and thrown off the rails. Fortunately no one was in the train else the impact would have been of a serious nature. The guard was about to enter his van when his attention was drawn to the inevitable crash. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 4th September, 1906, p.3. 


   An unfortunate accident occurred on Monday at the works in connection with the construction of a new railway through Bainsford, which resulted in the death of a carpenter named Fleming Bremner, residing in Rule Place, Mungalhead Road, Bainsford. The deceased was engaged, along with other workmen, repairing waggons in a siding on the North British section of the line, and was underneath a waggon in the act of undoing the boards for the purpose of removing the wheels, when a number of loaded waggons were shunted into the siding and came into contact with the other waggons. Bremner was knocked down, and the wheel of a waggon passed over his right arm and on to his chest. The waggon was at once removed, but when Bremner was lifted out he was found to be quite dead. The body of the deceased was removed to the mortuary at Falkirk Police Office. Bremner was 38 years of age. 

– Falkirk Herald, Wednesday 5th September, 1906, p.4. 


   An alarming accident occurred at Carmyle Junction, on the Caledonian Railway, late on Saturday night. Several passengers were injured, while considerable damage was done to rolling stock and permanent way. 

   The train in question was the 10.20 p.m. Low Level “Saturday only” train for Wishaw, which carries a large complement of passengers for the district of Bellshill, Holytown, and Wishaw. this train runs from Bridgeton Cross via Tollcross, and crosses the old Rutherglen and Coatbridge line at Carmyle, where it changes to the new branch and joins the main line at Newton. It is not booked to stop at Tollcross or Carmyle stations, and on Saturday night was running a few minutes behind time. 

   All went well until Carmyle station was passed. Speed had been reduced to cross the junction, and the engine-driver had again put on speed to mount the incline on the branch line to Newton. This runs between many sidings for goods and mineral train, and observing the red lights of a goods train in front, the driver at first thought that this train was in one of the sidings. A sharp look-out was kept by the two men on the engine, who were alarmed to see a goods train standing on the line ahead. 

   Steam was shut off and brakes properly applied, but too late to avoid a collision, although the impact was considerably reduced. As it was, however, the brake-van and three wagons of the goods train were knocked off the rails and much damaged, while the contents were scattered about in all directions. 

   The passenger vehicles fortunately fared better, but a scene of confusion followed. The noise of the breaking glass and the screams of the passengers added to the general excitement. 

   When the stationmaster and other officials arrived a number of passengers had found their way on to the line looking for friends, some with bleeding and bruised faces. it was found that nine or ten passengers complained of injuries, but fortunately none of these were of a serious nature. After being attended to by a doctor they were able to be taken to their respective destinations by train. 

   Among the injured were:- 

   Mr Steele, farmer, Hemperhill, Braidwood. 

   Miss Chalmers, a girl belonging to Glasgow, but at present lodging in Carluke. 

   Mr McLauchan, Castlehill, Carluke. 

   Two ladies belonging to Crossford were injured. These passengers mostly complained of shock and bruises. Four or five others sustained minor injuries. 

   A large crowd awaited the arrival of the train at Carluke, where it came in two hours late. Dr Bradford, Carluke, was in attendance with a supply of bandages. The most seriously hurt were conveyed home in cabs. 

   Information of the accident was ‘phoned to Glasgow, and Mr R. M. F. Watson, district superintendent, hurried with a special train and took charge. 

   How the goods train came to be on the main line in the way of the passenger train will, of course, be the subject of inquiry on the part of the railway company. 

   The breakdown squad was summoned, but the damaged wagons and the permanent way were not put right until Sunday. 

– Coatbridge Express, Wednesday 5th September, 1906, p.3. 

   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Saturday afternoon a sad fatality occurred at Polmont Station, resulting in the death of a relief carriage examiner named David Manderson, residing at 22 St Ninian Street, Glasgow. It appears that Manderson was standing on the east side of the up platform awaiting the arrival of the 2.5 p.m. ordinary train from Glasgow, which is due to stop at Polmont, and on seeing what he took to be the train approaching towards the station, he stepped from the platform on to the rails in order to get into the six-feet way. Unfortunately, instead of it being the ordinary stopping train, it proved to be a football “special” from Glasgow to Easter Road, Edinburgh. the result was that though Manderson did reach the six-feet way he did not get entirely clear of the engine of the special, which struck him about the head, almost severing the head from the body, and death being quite instantaneous. A sad feature of the case is that Manderson only came out that morning from Glasgow to relieve the local examiner, who had gone on his annual holidays. On Sunday morning the body of the deceased was removed from Polmont to Glasgow, where he leaves a widow and five children to mourn his loss. The deceased was 37 years of age. The platform was crowded with passengers waiting for connections at the time of the accident, and many of them were greatly affected by the sad occurrence. 

– Falkirk Herald, Wednesday 5th September, 1906, p.8. 

   BOY KILLED AT RENTON. – Last night a fatality occurred on the Dumbarton and Balloch Joint railway line near Renton Station. A boy, named Peter Wilson, ten years of age, was crossing the railway line from the wood opposite the Public Park, and failed to notice an express train approaching from Alexandria to Glasgow. He was knocked down and killed on the spot. 

   FATAL ACCIDENT AT HURLFORD. – Yesterday morning an accident occurred at Hurlford Station by which Alexander Craig (73), a surfaceman, lost his life. A squad of men had been working near the station, and had stepped aside on the approach of a shunting engine, but, unfortunately, Craig stepped in front of an express train, and was literally cut to pieces, death being instantaneous. Another man was slightly injured, and two others had narrow escapes. 

– Scotsman, Wednesday 5th September, 1906, p.6. 


   A sad fatality occurred on the railway line near Sinclairtown Station, Kirkcaldy, to-day, James Young, a waggon examiner, residing at Balfour Street, being run down by the Glasgow portion of the express train from Aberdeen, due at Kirkcaldy in the forenoon. It is supposed that the unfortunate man was crossing from the up to the down line siding, and failed to observe the approach of the train, and was instantaneously killed. Deceased was a married man. 



   The Mallaig Railway between Glenfinnan and Lochailort stations was blocked last night owing to a landslip, caused by the excessive rains of yesterday. The evening train from Fort-William to Mallaig yesterday could not proceed further than Glenfinnan, and the passengers were either put up there or brought back to Fort-William. A large squad of workmen were immediately put on to clear the line, and the usual traffic was resumed this morning. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Thursday 6th September, 1906, p.4. 


   Three valuable horses, belonging to Messrs Dewar, King’s Park Farm, Stirling, were cut to pieces yesterday by a goods train on the Forth and Clyde Railway, near Raploch. The horses had been attached to a binder, and when being changed got on the line harnessed together. The engine was not derailed. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Friday 7th September, 1906, p.3. 


   The authorities at Lanark on Tuesday received notice of an accident to Thomas Barnes, engine-driver on the terminus railway between Causewayend siding and Culter Water-works, which took place on Saturday. Barnes had just arrived from Clydebank, and was on his first run. He was stationed on the side of the engine nearest the road. The wheel commenced to skid, and Barnes, when bending over to look at the waggons, was struck by a telegraph pole. He was knocked off the engine, and a waggon ran over him. He sustained severe wounds on the head, while his left foot was fractured and his right foot badly bruised. He was attended by Dr McKinnon, Biggar, and thereafter conveyed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in a semi-conscious condition. 

– Motherwell Times, Friday 7th September, 1906, p.2. 

   DYSART MINER’S TRAGIC END. – On Thursday afternoon, about 12.45, a tragic scene was enacted on the main line of the North British railway ay a point near the bridge a little to the south of Randolph Siding, about halfway between Dysart and Thornton Stations. When some distance from the place mentioned the driver of the 11.40 a.m. goods train from Burntisland to Perth noticed a man sitting on the embankment, and when the engine was within five or six yards of the man he suddenly threw himself in front of the engine, and was killed on the spot. The train was immediately stopped, and the body, which proved to be that of John Young, 41 years of age, a miner, residing at Co-operative Buildings, Dysart, was conveyed to Dysart Station by an engine and van, and afterwards removed to the mortuary at Dysart Cemetery by the police. Deceased had been employed at Randolph Pit, and left his work the same forenoon, after informing a companion that he was sick of his job. He leaves a widow and young family. 

– Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian, Saturday 8th September, 1906, p.4. 


   Early this morning a man was observed deliberately to place his head across the rails at Cumbernauld Station on the Caledonian Railway, in front of an approaching goods train. The head was severed before the train could be pulled up. The body is evidently that of a tramp, up in years, but there is absolutely nothing to assist in identification. The remains lie in Cumbernauld mortuary. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Wednesday 12th September, 1906, p.3. 


   This morning, Robert Lawson (17), engine-cleaner at Hamilton West locomotive sheds, was instantaneously killed on the Caledonian Railway near the mineral office, Strathaven Junction. He resided at Station Road, Blantyre, and was proceeding home after being on the night shift, when he was overtaken by the workmen’s train leaving Hamilton Central at half-past five. The engine knocked him against a telegraph pole. He only started work a fortnight ago. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Thursday 13th September, 1906, p.2. 

   DISTRESSING ACCIDENT AT PHILPSTOUN. – On Saturday last an accident of a very distressing nature happened at Philpstoun, whereby a young lad, named John Barnes, about 15, son of a widow, was seriously injured. It appears that the lad had been crossing the railway near the works office, when he was knocked down by the works “pug” engine. The engine and several waggons passed over his leg, which was almost severed below the knee. First aid was rendered by Mr Muir, works manager, and Mr David Gilchrist, merchant, Philpstoun. the one o’clock express train from Glasgow was stopped, and by it the unfortunate lad was conveyed to the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh. 

– Linlithgowshire Gazette, Friday 14th September, 1906, p.4. 

Blantyre Lad Killed on the Railway. 


   On Thursday morning, about 5.30, a particularly distressing fatal accident occurred on the Caledonian Railway at a point between the mineral offices and the Strathaven Junction, when Robert Lawson (17), engine cleaner, residing with his parents at McLaughlin’s Buildings Station Road, Blantyre, was run over by the 5.30 workmen’s train for Newton, and instantaneously killed. 

   At the time of the sad occurrence Lawson, who was on the night-shift, was on his way home from Hamilton Caledonian Locomotive sheds, where he was engaged as an engine cleaner. Taking the railway as a near out, he, it appears, was walking on the outside sleepers of the down line. At this particular point of the line, it is a perfect network of rails, and it is surmised that the unfortunate lad had either been unaware of the approaching train, or thought he was walking on a different set of metals. 

   The engine struck him and knocked him against a telegraph pole, causing instantaneous death. The driver of the train immediately pulled up, and on going back to the scene of the accident found the lad quite dead. The body was removed to the ambulance room at the locomotive sheds, where it was examined by Dr. Livingstone Loudon, who found that death was due to concussion. The body was in no way bruised or mangled, the only mark being a slight discolouration on the forehead, due to his head striking the telegraph pole. 

   Deceased had only started work on the railway at the beginning of the present month, previous to which he was employed in the Greenfield Colliery Office, Burnbank, where he was much liked for his cheery and obliging manner. 

   Much sympathy is expressed for his parents, who are well known in the Burnbank district. his father, who is also a railway man, a year ago met with an accident at Carstairs Junction, in which he lost one of his arms, and only a few days ago was able to resume work as a signalman at one of the mineral lyes at Burnbank. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News, Saturday 15th September, 1906, p.5. 




   Two platelayers in the employment of the North British Railway Company were knocked down by a Glasgow train at Winchburgh about seven o’clock this morning. The injured men were conveyed to Edinburgh in a goods train guard’s van, which was attached to one of the ordinary trains for that purpose. The men were lifted out of the van into the station ambulance at the Waaverley almost opposite the Royal carriage in which were seated H.R.H the Duchess of Connaught and Princess Patricia, who were just about to leave for Elie. The names of the men are Charles O’Neill, residing at Hillwood Farm, Ratho; and John Bruce, Kirkliston. They are lying in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, the former suffering from an injury to the shoulder and shock, and the latter from a wound on the neck. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 17th September, 1906, p.2. 

   ACCIDENT AT HOLBURN STREET STATION. – While James Anderson, in the employment of the Great North of Scotland Railway Company, and residing at Inverurie, was engaged on Saturday at the erection of the gangway at Holburn Street Station, the scaffold on which he was standing collapsed, and he was thrown to the ground, alighting on his head. When picked up, Andersson was found to be unconscious, but in a short time was able to proceed home by train. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Tuesday 18th September, 1906, p.4. 

   ELGIN – ACCIDENT. – On Wednesday, a shunter named John Alexander, nineteen years of age, while attempting to go on to an engine which was in motion in the goods yard of the Great North Station, slipped off the step, and his left foot was run over and severely crushed. The foot had to be amputated at the ankle. 

– Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser, Tuesday 18th September, 1906, p.6. 





   A somewhat serious railway accident, which fortunately was not attended by injury to any person, occurred about one o’clock yesterday morning on the main line east of Polmont. 

   A goods train was being shunted, near the east cabin, from the up line to the down line, when a light locomotive making for Glasgow dashed into it with considerable force. Seven waggons were derailed, and two or three of them were badly wrecked, but the engine which collided kept the metals. The permanent way was much torn up in the accident, and the debris of the damaged and derailed waggons, along with their contents, which were strewn about, caused a complete block on the line. Breakdown gangs were at once telegraphed for to St Margaret’s Works, Edinburgh, and Cowlairs Works, Glasgow, and in a very short time a large staff of men, with two travelling cranes, were engaged in clearing and repairing the line. After four and a half hours’ labour, they accomplished their task, and traffic was resumed. 

   Owing to the very early hour at which the accident occurred, there was not much traffic at the time, but nevertheless some of the early morning mail and newspaper trains were much delayed. The mail train for the north, which is due at Grahamston at 4.37, had to be taken by way of the Forth Bridge, while the early morning newspaper train from Edinburgh had to proceed via Bathgate. Another newspaper express from Glasgow had to travel through Alloa and Dunfermline instead of coming to Falkirk. The mail-bags, which should have arrived in Falkirk about 4.30 a.m., were not received till shortly before nine o’clock. 

– Falkirk Herald, Wednesday 19th September, 1906, p.5. 


   For some years boys have been in the habit of running along Ladhope Vale, Galashiels, just as trains were steaming out of the railway station, shouting “bawbees,” and complaints have frequently been made about the nuisance. One lad who was seeking “bawbees” has had a rather exciting experience, which may serve as a warning to others. he climbed over the low wall at the side of the railway, and coolly sat down on one of the rails where the points from one of the sidings meet. The lad was quite unaware of the fact that a locomotive was coming out of the siding, and the signalman changed the points to allow of this being done, with the result that the boy’s nether garments and jacket got caught between the rails. The engine driver failed to observe the sore plight the boy was in, but fortunately there was plenty of scope in the seat of the lad’s trousers, so that when the front wheel of the engine crossed the points he got clear of the rails, but not without having his nether garments badly torn, in which state he made his way homewards. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Wednesday 19th September, 1906, p.4. 

   SEQUEL TO JUMPING ON TO A TRAIN IN MOTION. – The danger attached to trying to board a railway train when in motion is even more pronounced than attempting to get on to a running tramway car, dangerous as that often is, and this was exemplified at Aberlady Station last Tuesday evening. A boy of 14, belonging to Musselburgh, named James McNair, had been on a visit to Aberlady, and being anxious to return home that night he made a dash to get into the train after it had started from the station. The result was that he missed his footing, and fell between the train and the platform. Several who witnessed the accident expected that the boy would be killed outright, and the train was almost immediately stopped. However, on being lifted on to the platform it was found that he had had a lucky escape, and sustained comparatively little injury, his left leg being cut and there being bruises on the head and body. he was conveyed to his home in Musselburgh in a cab, and is making satisfactory progress towards recovery. 

– Musselburgh News, Friday 21st September, 1906, p.4. 

   Some alarm was caused when it became known that the railway near Livingstone had subsided on Monday morning. 

   The report at first for abroad that a passenger train had left the rails, and that a disaster had occurred. But this report, fortunately, proved unfounded. 

   As it was, however, it almost turned out a catastrophe, as it is averred that the subsidence took place immediately after a passenger train had passed over the spot. 

   The “fish” train, which dashes through Bathgate early every morning, hot safely over without any mishap. Had this train gone off the line, a very serious disaster would have occurred. 

   It is quite evident that something will require to be done in order to get this portion of the railway put in a safe and reliable condition. 

   If there is some sort of agreement that has yet to be made between the railway company and the Pumpherston Oil Company regarding the stooping of the old workings underneath the railway, then something definite will require to be arrived at in the matter. the safety of the passengers’ lives demand that a solution of the question be at once agreed upon. 

– Linlithgowshire Gazette, Friday 21st September, 1906, p.4. 

   ACCIDENT AT CUPAR STATION. – On Saturday night a passenger named Mrs Neilson, who had come from Milnathort, stepped from a carriage which had been drawn a little past the platform at Cupar Railway Station, and falling to the ground, dislocated her leg. She was removed to the Adamson Cottage Hospital. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 24th September, 1906, p.2. 


   There was brought to the platform for presentation with the Albert Medal of the second class a lame man, Robert Munro, a platelayer, who had, it was explained, lost a limb in an unavailing attempt to save the life of a comrade, who was overtaken by a train on the Highland Railway, at a bridge over the Brodie Burn, Morayshire [in April, 1906]. Munro was clear of danger, but in endeavouring to save his comrade, he was overtaken by the engine, and thrown against the bridge, receiving his injuries. the King pinned the medal on Munro’s breast, and congratulated him on his bravery, the company manifesting a sympathetic interest in the platelayer hero. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Thursday 27th September, 1906, p.3. 

   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT NITSHILL. – Early on Saturday last Frank Forsyth, about 22 years of age, employed as a surfaceman on the staff of the Nitshill Station, was proceeding to his work when he was run down and killed by the express from Carlisle. It is supposed he was walking on the up line and failed to observe the approach of the coming train. He was horribly mutilated, portions of his body being scattered over the line. Forsyth was unmarried, and resided with his parents at Victoria Road, Nitshill, for whom much sympathy is felt throughout the district. The deceased was a quiet lad and highly respected. He had only started work on the railway some ten days before the sad accident. 

– Barrhead News, Friday 28th September, 1906, p.3. 

Railway Fatality near Bathgate. 


   On Friday evening an accident occurred on the North British Railway near Durhamtown, whereby Henry Love Graham. 29 years of age, a miner, unmarried, and residing with his mother at 20 Durhamtown Rows, lost his life. The circumstances of the case go to show that the unfortunate man had been on his homeward journey from Armadale by way of the railroad when the accident occurred. Mr Graham was employed as a miner at No. 7 Northrigg Colliery, better known as No. 7 Torbane, and at the finish of his day’s work on Friday he proceeded to the coal company’s office at Bathville for the purpose of receiving his wages. He shortly afterwards met some friends at Bathville and remained there till eight o’clock in the evening, when he left for home. Nothing, however, was known of his whereabouts from that time until his body was discovered on the railway about 11.10 p.m. It appears that on the night in question, Mr James Watson, Bathgate, the driver of the Uphall and College mineral train, had occasion to slow down his train on nearing Boghead Signal Cabin, the signal being against him, when on nearing the cabin he happened to look over the side of his engine, and observed what he thought was the body of a man lying in close proximity to the up-line. On reaching the cabin he stopped his train and acquainted the signalman with what he had observed. After clearing his train the signalman procured a lamp and proceeded along the line in order to find out if the driver’s suspicion was correct. About 150 yards easy of Boghead level crossing he recognised the body of a man lying as already stated, and on returning to the cabin he wired to Polkemmet signalman, who in turn wired to the Company’s servant at the Chemical Works, when he advised Police-Constable Anderson, Durhamtown, of the occurrence. Constable Anderson immediately proceeded in the direction of Boghead Crossing with the aid of a cycle lamp. At the spot already indicated he found the body. Life was extinct, the head being practically severed from the body, while there was also a large deep wound across the small of the back. Constable Anderson hurried with all speed to the Bathgate Police Station, where he secured the services of Sergt. Forbes, and they returned with a conveyance and stretchers, when they had the body of the unfortunate man conveyed to the Bathgate Mortuary. That he had been knocked down by a passing train there is little doubt, but it is not known by what train the unfortunate man lost his life, since from the time he left Bathville at eight o’clock until the time of his discovery, three hours later, three trains passed on the up-line. No one knows at what point he reached the railway, but it is generally conjectured that he had journeyed by way of the Bathville and Bathgate Road as far as Woodland’s House and at this point had taken the road to the right, ultimately reaching the railway at the level crossing. From the position in which the body was found it appears Graham had been journeying on the up-line and was struck from behind. 

– West Lothian Courier, Friday 28th September, 1906, p.4. 

   RAILWAY FATALITY AT AYR. – At the Hawkhill junction of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway ay Ayr, on Saturday, John McKie (19), son of William McKie, engine-driver, 4 Wellington Street, Ayr, was run down and cut to pieces by the 11.12 a.m. Glasgow to Ayr express. He was in the employment of the railway company, and at the time of the accident was engaged oiling the switch. 

– Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Friday 28th September, 1906, p.4. 

   On Wednesday, when the 9.30 a.m. train from Glasgow arrived at Kilmarnock Station, one of the ticket collectors found a man dead in a first-class compartment. The body was removed to a waiting-room, and a doctor certified the cause of death to be apoplexy. Deceased was identified a William Rankine, commercial traveller to J. M. Munro (Limited), publishers and advertising contractors, Glasgow, in whose service he had been for many years. Mr Rankine was over fifty years of age and unmarried. 

– Coatbridge Leader, Saturday 29th September, 1906, p.5. 

   SAD DEATH OF AN AIRDRIE MAN. – Yesterday, about half-past four, Alex. Leggat, head yardsman at College Station, N.B.R., a native of Airdrie, residing in Shettleston, met his death in a very sad manner. While in the act of getting a train shunted, two waggons came up behind him, and he was decapitated. He took a prominent part in religious work. 

– Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, Saturday 29th September, 1906, p.4. 

Young Man Killed on the Railway. 


   The Blantyre police report a sad fatality which occurred yesterday morning opposite Auchinraith Colliery on the Strathaven branch of the Caledonian Railway, the victim being a young man named George Bolton, 21 years of age, who resided with his parents at Melbourne Place, Blantyre. The young man was a miner, and was working in Low Blantyre Collieries. He was making his way along the railway to his work, and the theory adduced by the police is that he had been walking on the outside of the up railway, and was knocked down by a light engine, which shortly after six o’clock was proceeding towards Strathaven. The young man was a quiet, steady youth, who was much respected throughout Blantyre. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News, Saturday 29th September, 1906, p.3. 

Exit mobile version