St Irenæus, Bishop of Lyons, martyr, 202. Saints Plutarch, Serenus, Hero, and others, martyrs, beginning of 3rd century. Saints Potamiana or Potamiena, and Basilides, martyrs, 3rd century. St Leo II., pope and confessor, 683.
Born. – Sir Peter Paul Rubens, artist, 1577, Cologne; Jean Jacques Rousseau, 1712, Geneva.
Died. – Alphonso V. of Arragon, ‘the Magnanimous, 1458; Abraham Ortelius, Dutch geographer, 1598, Antwerp; Maurice, Duc de Noailles, French commander, 1766.
On this Day in Other Sources.
John Morow can now be identified with the John Murray who first appears in the pages of history, on his inclusion in the lease of Lewinshop and Hangandshaw in Ettrick with Patrick his father, before 28th June, 1479.1
– Scots Lore, pp.364-374.
1 Ex. Rolls, viii. p. 583.
Through the disguise of her apparel, Lord Scroope, and Sir Frances Knollys, saw, that she was an elegant woman. Knollys wrote to Cecil: “Surely, she is a rare woman: For, as no flattery can abuse her; so no plain speech seems to offend her, if she thinks the speaker an honest man.” In another letter from Knollys to Cecil of the 28th of June, [1568,] he says: “So that now here are six waiting women, although none of reputation, but Mistress Mary Seaton, who is praised, by this Queen, to be the finest busker, that is to say, the finest dresser of a woman’s head of hair, that is to be seen, in any country; whereof we have seen divers experiences, since her coming hither: And, among other pretty devices, yesterday, and this day, she did set such a curled hair upon the Queen, that was said to be a perewyke, that showed very delicately: And, every other day, she hath a new device of head dressing, without any cost, and yet setteth forth a woman gaylie well.”
– Life of Mary, pp.184-206.
These books have a great additional interest from mentioning the guests visiting the family, and occasionally domestic occasions of more sumptuous housekeeping.1
– Sketches, pp.341-394.
1 Thus, at Finlarg, “beginnand the 28 of Junii 1590, and spendit till the 5 of Julii; the Laird and Ladie present, my Lord Bothwall, the Erle Monteth, my Lord Inchechaffray, with sindrie vther strangers.”
But besides such gratuities there appear to have been both “fees” and perquisites paid to the provosts and bailies. Thus in 1573-4 there occurs an entry of a payment “to my lord provost for his fie xiij lib. vjs. viijd. (£2, 4s. 6d.) and to thrie of the bailies for their fies xx lib.” (about £1, 18s. each). And from a subsequent minute of council it appears that each year were given to the provost, “quhilk hesbein in vse thairof of befoir.”1
– Old Glasgow, pp.215-237.
1 28th June, 1595.
In the following year “it is ordanit that xij merchandis, and tuelf of craftis nameit and warneit, attend on the sereff the tyme of the fair with sword halbert and steilbonnet.”1
– Old Glasgow, pp.276-289.
1 28th June, 1606.
On 28th June, 1633, an act of parliament was passed in favour of the burgh [Glasgow] confirming its charters. It proceeded on a narrative, among other things, of the expense which the community had borne in making the river navigable for ships and boats “to the advancement of the common weal of the kingdom,” and in “beitting, repairing, and upholding the bridge, which was a very profitable means for the establishment of commerce.”1
– Scots Lore, pp.15-29.
1 1633, c.79. Acts of Parliament v. 87-89.
It was not till 1662 that the street from the West Port to St. Enoch Square was causewayed. Before that time St. Enoch’s Burn was an open limpid stream running across the highway, unspanned by any bridge, and in that year the magistrates appointed “ane handsome little brige with ane pen to be put over St Tenowes burne, and that the casay be brought in therfra to the West Port; and recommends to the Mr of Wark to send for the calsay layer in Rutherglen to do the work.1
– Old Glasgow, pp.289-299.
1 28th June, 1662.
In a cart, bareheaded, and heavily manacled, [Richard Rumbold] was conveyed from the Water Gate to the Castle, escorted by Graham’s City Guard, with drums beating, and on the 28th of June  he was hanged, drawn, and quartered, at the Cross, where his heart was torn from his breast, an exhibited, dripping and reeking, by the executioner, on the point of a plug-bayonet, while he exclaimed, “Behold the heart of Richard Rumbold, a bloody English traitor and murderer!” According to Wodrow and others, his head, after being placed on the West Port, was sent to London on the 4th of August, while his quarters were gibbeted in the four principal cities in Scotland.
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.47-66.
… Tweeddale was again nominally placed at its head; but the Duke of Argyll, a young nobleman of great promise, was appointed Commissioner to open the next session of Parliament, with instructions to labour for the establishment of the same Protestant succession as in England, or, failing in that attempt, to endeavour to procure an Act for a treaty of union.
When Parliament assembled on the 28th June, it was found that the members were divided into three parties – the Government party, consisting of the adherent of Queensbery; the Jacobites, and a portion of the country party; and the adherents of Tweeddale, comprising a section of the Presbyterians and the late courtiers. These last, pretending to be guided entirely by the love of country, did not adhere permanently to any party, but were ready to shift sides according to circumstances, and thus to hold, as it were, the balance of power in their own hands. The Jacobites, mortified and indignant at the influence thus exercised by this party, bestowed on them the nickname of the ‘Squadron Volante,’ or the ‘Flying Squadron.’
N. E. R., Fence Houses.”
– Newcastle Chronicle, Saturday 28th August, 1886.
– Treaty of Union Articles, Factions Responsible for the Incorporating Union.