Saints Perpetua and Felicitas, martyrs at Carthage, 203. St Paul the Simple, anchoret, about 330. St Thomas of Aquino, Doctor of the Church and Confessor, 1274.
Born. – Antonio Sanchez, 1699.
Died. – Antoninus Pius, Roman Emperor, 162, Lorium; Pope Innocent XIII., 1724; Blanchard, aëronaut, 1809.
On this Day in Other Sources.
This year, 1445, the Earl of Douglas lays the certain foundation of his own destruction; which was in solemnly swearing an offensive and defensive league and combination against all, none excepted, (not the King himself) with [Alexander Lindsay] the Earl of Crawford, and [John Mc]Donald, [Earl of Ross and] Lord of the Isles; which was mutually sealed and subscribed by [those] three, the 7th day of March.
– Historical Works, pp.166-189.
John Laing, the Lord Treasurer, was provided by the Pope to the see of Glasgow, upon the recommendation of the king, on the 7th March 1473.
– Sketches, pp.29-70.
Meanwhile, Murray’s friends, and partizans, occupied as we have seen, the whole of the Queen’s government, particularly, Secretary Maitland: And of course, it was an easy task, for such men, to find reasons, which induced the Queen, to prorogue the Parliament, from the 4th of February, to the 7th of March, with a notification to the guilty nobles, that their trials would certainly proceed on the 12th of March. About the same time, arrived at Edinburgh, an ambassador from the French King, and dispatches, from the Scotish ambassador, at Paris; giving the Queen advice, which she seems to have followed, not to pardon the expatriated nobles.
The Queen, on the 7th of March 1566, opened the Parliament: And, to give more solemnity to this constitutional ceremony, she asked her husband, who was panting for the crown matrimonial, to accompany her: But, he refused; preferring his pastime to his parliamentary duty; and evincing that his heart was estranged, from the elegant woman, who had given him every boon except her sceptre; and had risqued her person, for his benefit.
Life of Mary, pp.98-126.
After the flight of Beton, the last Roman Catholic archbishop, Lochwood was taken possession of by the Duke of Chatelherault, from whom Robert Boyd of Bannheith obtained a grant of the lands, but his right appears to have been disputed. The archbishop was then at the court of France, as ambassador of Queen Mary, and one of his adherents in Scotland writes to him, under date 7th March, 1588: “Quhat sall becum of the Lochwood God knawis, for the Laird of Bannheith and the gudeman of Orbiston are contendand for it, althocht the best richt be ʒours.”1
– Old Glasgow, pp.116-124.
1 Miscellaneous Papers, Maitland Club, p. 44.
Mar. 7 [1678.] – Three enterprising persons at Haddington, including William Lamb, one of the bailies, and Mr James Lauder, sheriff-clerk, formed a project for a twice-a-week stage-coach ‘to pass through the whole year betwixt Edinburgh and Haddington, which will be of great conveniency for travellers of all sorts who may have occasion to repair to Edinburgh from the eastward.’ It was their resolution ‘to employ a considerable stock of money for erecting the said stage-coaches, buying of horses, and all other furniture requisite, in expectation of some small profit by progress of time.’ Wherefore they petitioned for the exclusive right to have stage-coaches upon that road. The right was granted for seven years. – P. C. R.
– Domestic Annals, pp.322-337.
Towards the middle of the eighteenth century two individuals contracted with the magistrates “to keep up maintain and uphold the whole causeys of the public streets, wynds, vennels, lanes, high ways and roads, within and about this city and territories thereof.” They undertook to do this for fifteen years, for a sum equal to a yearly payment of £66 per annum.1 In this department – statute labour – the expenditure of the corporation for the year 1878-79 was, in the mere repair of streets and sewers, upwards of £25,000, and during the previous twenty-two years the amount paid for paving alone amounted to £320,000, or on average upwards of £14,000 per annum.
– Old Glasgow, pp.325-328.
1 Burgh Records, 7th March, 1728.
In a cellar not far distant the Treaty of Union was partly signed, in haste and fear and trembling, while the street without rang with the yells and opprobrious cries of the infuriated mob; and after that event, by the general desertion of the nobility, came what has been emphatically called the Dark Age of Edinburgh – that dull and heartless period when grass was seen to grow around the market-cross, when a strange and unnatural stillness – the stillness of village life – seemed to settled over every one and everything, when the author of “Douglas” was put under ban for daring to write that tragedy, and when men made their last will and testament before setting out by the stage for London, and when such advertisements appeared as that which we find in the Edinburgh Courant for 7th March, 1761 – “A young lady who is about to set out for London in a post-chaise will be glad of a companion. Enquire at the publisher of this paper;” – when Edinburgh was so secluded and had such little intercourse with London, that on one occasion the mail brought but a single letter (for the British Linen Company), and the dullness of local life received a fillip only when Admiral de Fourbin was off the coast of Fife, or the presence of Thurot the corsair, or of Paul Jones, brought back some of the old Scottish spirit of the past.
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.1-8.
Religious services were last conducted in the new edifice when Viscountess Glenorchy hired it. She was zealous in the cause of religion, and conceived a plan of having a place of worship in which ministers of every orthodox denomination might preach; and for this purpose she had St. Mary’s Chapel opened on Wednesday, the 7th March, 1770, by the Rev. Mr. Middleton, the minister of a small Episcopal chapel at Dalkeith; but she failed to secure the ministrations of any clergyman of the Established Church, though in 1779 the Rev. William Logan, of South Leith, a poet of some eminence in his time, gave his course of lectures on the philosophy of history in the chapel, prior to offering himself as a candidate for the chair of civil history in the University.
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.246-252.