St Braulio, Bishop of Saragossa, 646. St Ludger, Bishop of Munster, Apostle of Saxony, 809.
Born. – Conrad Gesner, eminent scholar and naturalist, 1516, Zurich; George Joseph Bell, writer on law and jurisprudence, 1770, Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.
Died. – C. P. Duclos, French romance writer, 1772, Paris.
On this Day in Other Sources.
On the 26th day [March, 1437,] was Prince James crowned King, with all requisite solemnity, in presence of his estates, being a child of 6 years of [age,] James Kennedy, Bishop of St. Andrews, his father’s nephew, with the joyful acclamations of his people.
– Historical Works, pp.166-189.
[Queen Mary] remained, at Edinburgh, till the 26th of March [1565,] that she removed to Linlithgow: where she continued till she went, on the 31st, to Stirling. The nobles of Scotland began, meantime, to associate with each other, for supporting their several interests, and parties: a sure sign of troubles, and a prognostication of warfare.
– Life of Mary, pp.98-126.
The portions of the land round Glasgow, which were saved from appropriation, continued till a comparatively recent period to be held in common by the inhabitants for pasturing their cattle. Certain parks in the locality now called Cowcaddens, and elsewhere, including the Green, were used for this purpose till near the end of the last century. The cattle were collected every morning, and sent out to pasture on the common muirs, under the charge of herds appointed by the magistrates. In 1589 there is a minute of council appointing two individuals “to be common Hirdis of the toun for this yeir to cum,” one for the “nolt and guidis aboue the croce” and the other “for the nolt and guidis beneth the croce, and the rest of the nether pairtis of the toun.” “Nolt and guidis” mean black cattle and milch cows. The herds were required to give their oath of fidelity, and to find caution “for leill and trew administratioun in their office.”1
– Old Glasgow, pp.175-181.
1 26th March, 1589.
In presence of Colonel Stuart, the constable; Sir James Mackenzie, Clerk of the Treasury; William Wilson, Deputy-Clerk of Session – the crown, sceptre, sword of state, and Treasurer’s rod, were solemnly deposited in their usual receptacle, the crown-room, on the 26th of March [1707.] “Animated by the same glow of patriotism that fired the bosom of Belhaven, the Earl Marischal, after having opposed the Union in all its stages, refused to be present at this degrading ceremony, and was represented by his proxy, Wilson, the Clerk of Session, who took a long protest descriptive of the regalia, and declaring that they should remain within the said crown-room, and never be removed from it without due intimation being made to the Earl Marischal. A copy of this protest, beautifully illuminated, was then deposited with the regalia, a linen cloth was spread over the whole, and the great oak chest was secured by three ponderous locks; and there for a hundred and ten years, amid silence, obscurity, and dust, lay the crown that had sparkled on the brows of Bruce, on those of the gallant Jameses, and on Mary’s auburn hair – the symbols of Scotland’s elder days, for which so many myriads of the loyal, the brave, and the noble, had laid down their lives on the battle-field – neglected and forgotten.”
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.66-79.