August 1900

[Scottish Railway Incidents (1900) Contents]




   A case of considerable interest to railway servants and carters employed about the Harbour was heard before Bailie Robertson in Dundee Police Court yesterday. A railway engine-driver named William Graham, residing in Watson Street, Dundee, was charged with a contravention of the Harbour byelaws by having, while acting as driver of a locomotive engine and a train of waggons, failed, while proceeding along Camperdown Street, to have a properly-qualified pilot, wearing a red cap, walking in front of the train. He pleaded not guilty, and was defended by Mr James Allison, solicitor. Robt. Cochrane, lorrydriver, Carmichael Street, deponed that he was in the employment of Mr D. M. Slidders, carting contractor. On the forenoon of 25th June he proceeded to the Camperdown Dock to load three bales of jute. He got the load in E shed. Just as he was driving out of the shed door, and his horse’s feet on the rails, he observed a train of waggons coming eastwards right upon him. He was sitting on the front of the lorry. The train was so close on him before he observed it that he had no time to back. As the waggons were coming from the west, he started his horse to the east, and urged it to quicken its pace to get clear of the rails, but before the lorry cleared the line it was caught by the approaching waggons, and a severe collision occurred. There was no man in front of the waggons; if there had been he would have seen him. By the force of the collision the lorry was considerably damaged. The back axle was broken, and one of the hind wheels knocked off. Witness was thrown over the lorry against the back wall of the shed, and had his left arm broken, and his head and face injured. William Mair, the shunter or pilot, should have been in front of the train, but he did not see him. As far as he could judge, he thought Mair had been about the centre of the train, by the north side of the waggons. The train consisted of ten loaded waggons, which were being shunted backwards, the engine being on the west, pushing the train eastwards. George Tasker, a retired spirit merchant, and Alexander Law, a Harbour porter, who were standing in the shed door when the collision occurred, deponed that the pilot Mair was walking by the side of the first waggon, about parallel with the buffer. By the force of the collision one of the waggons was thrown off the metals, and the horse and lorry were thrown a considerable distance to the eastward. Witnesses examined for the defence declared that the pilot was walking in front of the waggons, and that he warned the engine-driver and also the lorry-driver. After hearing the evidence, which occupied about two hours, the Bailie held the charge proved, and imposed a fine of 10s, or three days in prison. 

– Dundee Courier, Wednesday 1st August, 1900, p.7.


   While an engine was proceeding to the turntable about half-past six last night, a fireman named Robert Kincaid, residing at 2 Garvald Street, Greenock, fell off the platform in front of the engine cabin, striking his head against the van of an incoming train. He was picked up in an unconscious condition, and was conveyed to Greenock Infirmary in the carriage ambulance. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Thursday 2nd August, 1900, p.2.


   A serious accident occurred at Kingussie Railway Station on Wednesday evening, whereby John Grant, mason’s labourer, Aviemore, sustained injuries which well-nigh had a fatal termination. It would appear that Grant arrived in Kingussie on wednesday morning, and subsequently went south by the 11.10 A.M. train from Inverness, returning the same evening by the train timed to arrive at 7.5 P.M. Having had occasion to cross from the north to the south platform, the unfortunate man, to save time crossed between two carriages, utilising the couplings for a foothold. Alighting on the rails, he apparently stumbled, and an engine passing at the moment cut off the right foot above the ankle, the contact also inflicting a severe scalp wound. Fortunately Dr Orchard, Kingussie, was at hand, and had the sufferer conveyed to the Company’s waiting-rooms, where Grant, who bore the shock remarkably well, had every attention paid to him. He was removed to Inverness by the 10.16 train to be treated at the Northern Infirmary. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Thursday 2nd August, 1900, p.3.

Railway Accident

   A fireman named James Campbell, residing in Ladywell, was on Tuesday removed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary suffering from injuries received by falling from his engine on the Caledonian Railway at Coalburn. 

Motherwell Times, Friday 3rd August, 1900, p.2.

   FATAL ACCIDENT NEAR G. & S.-W. RAILWAY STATION. – Shortly before eight o’clock on Tuesday morning, a man named McInnes was run over by a locomotive engine near the G. & S.-W. Railway Station. McInnes, it seemed, had been shunting a goods engine at the time, and after having shifted the points he hurried out of the way of another engine about to pass near where he was standing. The unfortunate man is supposed to have slipped in crossing the rails the newly shunted engine was coming down on, and before he could clear out of the way the wheels had passed over his leg, gripping it not far above the ankle and crushing it in a fearful manner up to the thigh. McInnes was at once attended to by Dr. Wilson and his assistant, and conveyed to Kilmarnock, where he expired about an hour after being admitted. The deceased was a yardsman in the employment of the Company, and resided in Friars Croft. He leaves a wife and family for whom much sympathy is felt in the district. 

– Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Friday 3rd August, 1900, p.5.



   THERE are on nearly every railway locomotives that are known as Jonahs. Some years ago an engine on a Scotch line blew up, cutting the stoker’s head off with a segment of boiler iron. The engine was rebuilt and made as good as new, but no driver could be found to run it more than one trip. It was soon whispered about it that it was haunted: that the headless stoker had an unpleasant habit of appearing on the tender and insisting on firing up. One night a driver and his stoker deserted the locomotive when out on a run. For a month the engine lay in the shop. Then a driver who was compelled either to take it out or lose his place, mounted it. Before it had run a dozen miles it went through a culvert, wrecked the train, and killed nine people. It was never rebuilt. 

Forfar Herald, Friday 3rd August, 1900, p.2.






   About six o’clock last night a serious accident occurred to James Begg, aged 17, engine-cleaner, Burntisland. He was engaged in shunting operations at the works at the dock. While standing on the front of the engine, and when about to make what is known as a “flying shunt” by some unknown cause the engine left the rails. The waggons, which were being shunted, ran back and collided with the engine, jamming Begg between the fire box and the engine and the waggons. The accident from the first was considered serious, and the local doctor ordered the immediate removal of Begg to the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh. He was taken there last night. Information was received this morning from the Royal Infirmary, in which it was stated it would be necessary to amputate both legs. It is feared that the shock may prove fatal. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Friday 3rd August, 1900, p.5.







   An accident of a shocking nature, involving the death of Thomas Collins (17), millworker, son of Helen Donaghue or Collins, a widow, residing in Tait’s Lane, Dundee, occurred on the Caledonian Railway line, near Dundee, yesterday afternoon. The 3.30 p.m. train to Perth had just passed Magdalen Green, and entered the curve leading to Ninewells Junction, when the driver noticed a man walking westwards on the south side of the up line. An eye-witness states that he was actually stepping on the sleepers, but the driver, in any case, sounded the whistle, with the object of attracting his attention. There was, however, no response, and the engine-driver thereupon shut off steam with the object of pulling up. By this time, however, the engine had almost reached the spot where the man was walking, and he was struck violently on the back by the buffer beam, and thrown forward for a distance of ten yards. When picked up it was ascertained that he had been killed outright, frightful injuries having been inflicted on the head and back, while a leg and an arm were also broken. The body was conveyed to Dundee, and placed in the mortuary, where it was identified by deceased’s relatives. Inquiries made go to show that the railway authorities have for a long time been attempting to put a stop to trespassing on the line in the neighbourhood of where the accident happened. About six months ago a barbed wire fence was erected from the rock cutting at the west end of Dundee for a considerable distance to the eastwards, while on Sundays of late railway officials and police officers have been detailed for the purpose of intercepting persons straying on the line, and just before the mishap of yesterday an extraordinary practice was witnessed. The driver saw two boys standing on the line on which his engine was approaching. Their intention evidently was to remain in the way in order to see how near they could allow the engine to approach without being injured. Notwithstanding the whistling of the engine, the lads remained in their perilous position until the engine was a few yards from them, and then leaped out of the way. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Monday 6th August, 1900, p.2.

   SERIOUS RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT GLASGOW. – A serious accident befell a man named Archibald Henderson, residing at 3 East Thomson Street, Glasgow, at Queen Street railway station, Glasgow, about ten o’clock last night. A train, which had arrived about twenty minutes previously, was being shunted out of the dock at No. 3 platform, when the alarm was raised that a man had been run over. The railway officials on proceeding to the spot found Henderson lying across the rails, his left leg severed below the knee, and his head severely cut and bruised. How he got beneath the train is not known, but he was seen leaning against a brake van, and it is supposed that when the train started he had fallen between two of the vehicles and been run over. Henderson, who is a middle-aged man, was attended by Dr Grieve, Holmhead Street, and by members of the railway ambulance corps, and was thereafter removed to the Royal Infirmary. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 7th August, 1900, p.4.



   While a goods train was at shunting operations at Strome Ferry Station a surfaceman named Murdoch McRae was knocked down and his arm run over and badly crushed by a waggon. First aid was promptly rendered by Engine-Driver McLean and Constable McPherson. Dr McKay, Lochcarron, was promptly on the scene, and ordered his removal to Dingwall Hospital, where his arm was amputated. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Tuesday 7th August, 1900, p.4.

   FORFAR. – FATALITY ON THE RAILWAY. – A distressing fatality, resulting in the death of a naval reserve fireman named George Todd, who belonged to Aberdeen, occurred on the Caledonian Railway near Forfar about midnight on Saturday. Deceased, along with a companion, David Petrie, who resides at 1 Links Street, Aberdeen, had completed his 28 days’ training in the naval reserve, and had been paid off on Friday at Old Milford Haven. At eight o’clock on Saturday the two men left by train for Aberdeen. Perth was reached about 11 p.m., and about an hour afterwards, Petrie, who travelled from Perth in a different compartment from Todd, discovered that his companion was missing from the train. On Sunday the body of the deceased was found on the line near Eassie Station, and it is supposed that he had opened the carriage door while the train was running at full speed, and, falling on to the permanent way, been instantaneously killed. Todd, who was unmarried, resided with a sister at 6 Hosefield Road, Aberdeen. 

– North British Daily Mail, Tuesday 7th August, 1900, p.6.


   In the Commons last night Mr Dalziel asked the President of the Board of Trade whether, in view of the danger to the travelling public resulting from the absence of proper shunting accommodation at Kirkcaldy and Sinclairtown Stations, and the accidents which had already resulted therefrom, he will take immediate steps to compel the North British Railway Company to provide increased accommodation. Mr Ritchie – The Board of Trade have no powers of compulsion; but they have communicated with the company several times on this subject, and as recently as July 20 they addressed a letter to the general manager, and received a reply intimating that the matter was still under consideration. The company will be pressed to arrive at some conclusion. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Wednesday 8th August, 1900, p.2.

   FATAL ACCIDENT. – On Thursday afternoon Lawrence Grant, 4 years of age, son of Bernard Grant, labourer, residing at Tar Row, was accidentally killed on the railway at the Basin Station. The little lad had been playing on the line along with some other boys, and it is supposed that he endeavoured to cross the line underneath a waggon when a mineral train was engaged in shunting operation, and was caught by one of the wheels and run over. His left leg was severed from his body, while his back was broken, and he was otherwise badly mutilated. Death was instantaneous. Much sympathy is felt for the parents in their sudden bereavement. 

– Kirkintilloch Herald, Wednesday 8th August, 1900, p.4.


   … In the Railway Accidents Bill there are provision which in a small way may prove useful, but the Bill is a cripple, having been deprived of the strong arm of compulsory automatic couplings, which was cut off to propitiate the railway directors. 

– North British Daily Mail, Wednesday 8th August, 1900, p.4.

   THE ACCIDENT AT QUEEN STREET STATION, GLASGOW. – Archibald Henderson, the man who was severely injured in Queen Street Station, Glasgow, on Monday by falling between the platform and a moving train, died in Glasgow Royal Infirmary yesterday from the effects of his injuries. Deceased was a mason, and resided at 3 East Thomas Street, off Leith Walk, Edinburgh. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 9th August, 1900, p.7.

   A DANGEROUS SITUATION. – As an excursion train was shunting into the platform at Melrose Railway Station on Saturday, the passengers crowded forwards and a young woman was knocked down. She hung on to a buffer, and was dragged along about thirty yards before she was extricated. She was much shaken, and after getting into the train she fainted. 

– Jedburgh Gazette, Saturday 11th August, 1900, p.3.

   ACCIDENT AT BUCHANAN STREET STATION. – On Saturday night, at Buchanan Street Railway Station, David Miller, 38 years, 46 Houldsworth Street, Glasgow, was shaking hands with a friend in one of the compartments of a train which had began to move, when he slipped and fell between the carriage and the platform. He was pulled out by a man who was standing by, and was removed to the Royal Infirmary. It was there found that he had sustained a scalp wound and bruises on the right knee and side. 

– North British Daily Mail, Monday 13th August, 1900, p.4.

   SOLDIER KILLED NEAR DUNDEE. – While two privates of the Scots Fusiliers (now encamped at Barry) were walking along the railway line between Barry and Carnoustie late on Saturday night, they discovered the dead body of a private in the 1st Battalion Royal Highlanders (also under canvas) lying between the rails of the down line. The remains were removed to the mortuary at Carnoustie, where they have been identified as those of Private James Barr, who is supposed to belong to the district. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 14th August, 1900, p.6.







   Within the past week or two accidents on the railway lines at Dundee have been pretty frequent, and some of them have been attended by fatal results. Fortunately the accident which occurred yesterday was not so serious, but it was of such a nature as to deprive a young lad of practically the use of one of his legs. About a week ago a young man was killed by a passing train on the Caledonian line which runs alongside the Magdalen Green, and it was on the same system, but to the east of the Magdalen Green Station, that the mishap of yesterday took place. The line at this point is properly fenced and well protected, but, notwithstanding, schoolboys have been making a habit of taking a short cut to the bathing ponds and the recreation ground by climbing over the railway. The police and the railway officials have been making every effort to put a stop to the practice, but yesterday a boy named Martin Herd, eleven years of age, the son of Alexander Herd, shoemaker, 35 St Peter Street, had escaped the vigilance of the watchers. He had climbed the paling and got on to the permanent way just as the 6.10 passenger train from Dundee West was proceeding to Perth. Unhappily the wheels of the engine passed over the boy’s right ankle, severing the foot from the leg. the boy was in great agony, and on rising jumped about in every direction. He first crossed the line to the stone dyke on the south side, and then recrossed again, and made to scale the paling into the Green. His cries attracted the attention of a clerk named John Duncan. This gentleman obtained the assistance of Mr J. Forsyth, a chemist, who happened to be passing at the time. After temporarily dressing the wounds, the boy was removed to the Infirmary in a cab. 

– Dundee Courier, Tuesday 14th August, 1900, p.5.

   RAILWAY ACCIDENT NEAR ELGIN. – A rather serious accident took place yesterday afternoon on the Highland Railway. When the 2.20 P.M. train from Forres was entering Mosstowie Station the last two carriages and the guard’s van left the rails. They were dragged along a considerable distance, tearing up the permanent way. Fortunately, there was not a single passenger in the two carriages, and the guard, who was in the derailed van, escaped with a pretty severe shaking. The accident detained traffic considerably, though by transferring passengers from one train to another at Mosstowie the Company succeeded in getting those by the south-going mail through. the line was not clear till about 6.30, and the first train that succeeded in getting through reached Elgin about seven o’clock. 

– The Scotsman, Wednesday 15th August, 1900, p.9.



Goods Guard Killed at College Station.


   Joseph Holmes, aged 26, a goods guard on the Caledonian Railway, was knocked down by the tender of an engine and killed instantaneously while crossing the line at St John’s Signal Box, at College Station, Glasgow, between 10 and 11 o’clock last night. Holmes, who resides with his mother at 5 Rutherford Lane, was coming on duty when the accident occurred. 


Two Boys Killed at Uddingston.


   Quite a large number of young people enjoy themselves nightly in the Public Park at Uddingston, and last night, the evening of the merchants’ holiday, there was an unusually numerous gathering. Two little boys, about seven years of age, named Rae and Got, the former a son of Mr Robert Rae, residing at Joadja Place, and manager of the Uddingston Co-operative Society, the latter a son of Mr Got, miner, residing in Copland Terrace, had become detached from the others and wandered on the North British Railway, which runs alongside of the Public Park. A cattle train passing down towards Glasgow ran over the two little fellows, frightfully mangling each. Their remains were carried to the railway station, which is quite near. 


Surfaceman Killed at Greenfield.


   Yesterday afternoon a sad fatality occurred at Greenfield Station, on the Hamilton and Hyndland branch of the North British Railway. A surfaceman, named Michael Madden, 37 years of age, who was walking along the line, was knocked down by the train reaching Greenfield Station at 4.40 p.m. He was struck by the buffer of the engine on the face, arms, and body, and shockingly injured. Madden was conveyed to the waiting-room at the station, but after being medically attended, died half an hour later. Madden had only been two days in the district. 


Man Killed Near Crookston Station.


   Early yesterday morning the body of a man, in a terribly mutilated condition, was found on the Canal railway near Crookston Station. The body was removed to the mortuary at Paisley Police Office, where in the course of the day it was identified as that of Robert Leckie, who resided at 33 Canal Street, Paisley. It is surmised that deceased had been walking along the line, when he was knocked down and killed by a pilot engine. Leckie was about 50 years of age, and married. 

– Glasgow Herald, Thursday 16th August, 1900, p.6.

   RAILWAY FATALITY AT GREENOCK. – On Saturday Francis Harkins, a cattleman, was killed on the Caledonian Railway outside Greenock Central Station. Harkins, who attempted to cross the line to a train in from Gourock, was knocked down by the engine of the 11.5 train arriving from Glasgow, and was killed. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 20th August, 1900, p.6.


   At Glasgow about nine o’clock on Saturday night a Glasgow and South-Western Railway train from Johnstone ran into an engine at Port Eglinton, whereby three or four passengers were injured and traffic was greatly interrupted. The engine was standing at the danger signal at west Street signal box when the passenger train ran into it. The train had but few passengers fortunately. The guard was badly cut. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Monday 20th August, 1900, p.4.


   A man named William Reekie [Leckie], residing at West Bridge, Kirkcaldy, has been admitted to Dunfermline Cottage Hospital suffering from a dislocated shoulder and his head and body cut and bruised, and suffering from internal injuries. Reekie was picked up in an unconscious state on the Dunfermline and Thornton Railway near Lochgelly on Saturday night. He had strayed on to the line, and been struck by a passing train. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Monday 20th August, 1900, p.3.



   A very sad accident took place at Thornton West Junction last night, when a shunter in the employment of the North British Railway Company named David Whyte, about 25 years of age, was knocked down and killed. It appears the unfortunate man had occasion to cross the main line from Dunfermline to Thornton to uncouple an engine from a train, and while returning he was run over by the 4.7 p.m. express passenger train from Glasgow to Aberdeen. His body was very much mangled. He apparently observed his dangerous position, but the train was no near he could not escape. He leaves a young widow and child, for whom much sympathy is expressed. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Wednesday 22nd August, 1900, p.3.

   FATAL ACCIDENTS IN GLASGOW. – … David Calder, engine driver, was severely crushed in the Caledonian Locomotive Works at Springburn Road, Glasgow. He jumped on to the footboard of a passing engine, which was being taken from the works to the running shed. At the entrance to the shed Calder was caught between an upright beam and the engine. He died from his injuries in the Infirmary. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 23rd August, 1900, p.4.

   Broxburn Brass Band – Serious Accident. – Broxburn Brass Band took part in the competition of first class bands at the Raith Grounds in Kirkcaldy on Saturday last, and were very successful, taking 7th prize among all comers, or 3rd for Scotland. In connection with the competition, the band ran a special excursion train from Broxburn to Kirkcaldy, and 1,000 persons went with the excursion, some 300 from Uphall and 700 from Broxburn. The weather was delightful, and the excursion a great success. On the return journey a most unfortunate accident took place to one of the excursionists, a young man named Thomas Pegg, residing in Broxburn. While the train was at Queensferry junction, near Ratho, having engine changed. Pegg was sitting on the door of the carriage compartment with his back out through the window. The train starting suddenly, he was thrown out through the window. He sustained such serious injuries as necessitated his removal to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where he underwent amputation of one arm. He also lost three fingers of the other hand. 

– West Lothian Courier, Friday 24th August, 1900, p.5.





   Shortly after six o’clock yesterday morning a distressing accident occurred on the railway near Kinghorn Station, and at a spot opposite Kirkcaldy Combination Poorhouse. It appears that the driver of a mineral train from Townhill to Burntisland thought something had gone wrong with the connecting rod of his engine, and on going round to see what was the matter he noticed the arm of a woman hanging out near the brake. He at once had the engine brought to a standstill, when he discovered the body of a woman lying under the engine quite dead. On making a further inspection the body of another woman was found lying about 200 yards further up the line. Information was at once sent to Kinghorn, and Dr Welsh and other helpers were not long in being on the scene, when they had the remains promptly removed to the mortuary at the Poorhouse. The bodies were then identified as those of Agnes Beattie or Murphy, 47 years of age, and Mary Bease, 60 years of age, both widows, and residing at South Overgate, Kinghorn. The unfortunate women had evidently been gathering coal off the line, as two sacks almost full of coal were found near the spot where they had met their untimely end. It is considered probable that the poor women had stepped on to the south line to allow a north-going train to pass, and had failed to hear the approach of the mineral train, the driver of which did not notice the women on the line. The bodies were badly bruised and cut, while Mrs Murphy’s right foot was severed from the body. The sad affair has cast quite a gloom over the district, both women being widely known. Mrs Murphy leaves a large family, several very young, and much sympathy is felt for them. 

– Dundee Courier, Saturday 25th August, 1900, p.5.










   A serious collision occurred on the Caledonian Underground Railway at Anderston Cross Station, Glasgow, about seven o’clock on Saturday evening, and 35 persons were injured. A passenger train from Hamilton was run into by another passenger train while standing at Anderston Cross Station. It appears that the former train was a special from Hamilton to Maryhill, and consisted of eight coaches. It passed through the main station at Glasgow all right, but in the tunnel it stopped, something having gone wrong with the brake. The rectification of the trouble occupied only a minute or two, and the train proceeded to Anderston Cross Station, where it stopped. Some of the passengers were opening the doors of the carriages to step out on to the platform when the 6.45 p.m. train from Rutherglen to Balloch dashed into the stationary train. The impact destroyed the four rearmost carriages of the stationary train, they being telescoped. Fortunately the Balloch train was not travelling at a great rate of speed. In the confusion and excitement that followed the collision groans and shrieks were sent forth from the ruins of the wrecked train, around which centred the efforts to succour the injured, some of whom had been hurled on to the platform of the station. Others jumped out of the coaches, but not a few rent the air with their pitiful cries from the debris, from which the injured were unable to extricate themselves. The passengers of the Balloch train received, fortunately, only a shaking, and they were amongst the first to render valuable aid to their less fortunate travellers. The scene of the accident was at the end of the station platform, and at the mouth of the tunnel, from which a dense volume of steam obscured the platform, at the position where a clear atmosphere was most needed. The last coach was a composite, the end carriage being a “smoker,” behind the guard’s van, and although it underwent such sudden destruction it is a miraculous thing that no one was killed. The occupants of the coach were, however, all severely injured. It is a fortunate circumstance that the majority of the passengers in the Hamilton train, which was conveying people from the races at Hamilton, alighted at Glasgow main station. In the work of rescue many of the compartments, owing to the doors being jammed by the force of the collision, had to be broken into. Within a few minutes of the accident a large force of police and many doctors had arrived on the scene in response to a summons for help, and a number of ambulance men gave first aid to the sufferers. For quite half an hour the scene within the station was one of the utmost excitement, and the cries of the injured were most piteous. In nearly every case the injuries were found to be of a serious character. In something under an hour all the injured were removed from the line, although in some cases it was necessary for the breakdown gang to cut away pieces of the carriages and coaches to free the injured passengers. The Balloch train, including the engine, sustained no serious damage. It was crowded with passengers, the day being Glasgow trades annual holiday. 


   A gentleman who travelled in the fourth carriage from the rear of the Hamilton train, and who had a marvellous escape, said the train stopped three minutes in the tunnel to repair the brake. At Anderston Cross he had just stepped out on the platform with two friends when another train dashed into the stationary train. The four carriages simply crumpled up. The scene was awful, the injured moaning and crying for help. He and his friends extricated fifteen badly injured persons. They had frequently to use all their strength to get the injured out from the debris. 

   The engineman in charge of the Balloch train, in the course of an interview, said he got the signal from the guard that the line was clear, and he could not see the home signal or the tail lamps of the Hamilton train for steam and smoke. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Monday 27th August, 1900, p.4.

   Recent Railway Accidents in Dundee. – The question of the recent fatalities on the railway line to the west of Magdalen Green Station was discussed by the Works Committee of Dundee Town Council yesterday afternoon. Mr Alexander Speed directed attention to the necessity for something being done in order to obtain a safe access over the line of rails. He suggested that a bridge should be thrown over the railway at the foot of Windsor Street. He urged that the work be carried out at once, and that while negotiations were being carried through for this, an effort should be made to get the Perth Road widened at the Seabraes. It was ultimately resolved to meet the railway authorities on the subject, and, if possible, get the improvements effected with as little delay as possible. 

– Dundee Courier, Tuesday 28th August, 1900, p.3.

   NEWMILNS. – SAD ACCIDENT. – Robert Lawson, Wilson Place, was last night the victim of a sad accident at the railway goods shed. Along with a number of other boys he had been shunting some trucks when he accidentally fell in front of one of them. His leg was fearfully mangled. The little fellow is only some ten years of age. He was removed to Kilmarnock Infirmary, where it was found necessary to amputate the right leg. 

– North British Daily Mail, Wednesday 29th August, 1900, p.3.

   Accident at the Railway Station. – On Thursday afternoon, James Craib, goods porter, was knocked down by a passing engine which he had not observed approaching. He was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, but his injuries were found not to be serious, and he was afterwards removed to his lodgings at Dyce. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 29th August, 1900, p.10.


   James Cruickshank, who was injured in Glasgow railway collision at Anderston Cross Station on Saturday evening, died last night. This is the first death, but many of the injured are in a serious condition. 

Perthshire Advertiser, Wednesday 29th August, 1900, p.5.



   Yesterday afternoon, while Patrick McGuire, a surfaceman, was working on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway at the Prince’s Pier end of the Union Street tunnel, Greenock, the 3.35 p.m. train from St Enoch emerged from the tunnel before he was aware. The man made to clear the line, but was caught by one of the buffers of the engine and thrown to the ground. He was at once conveyed to the station, where he was examined by a doctor, who was unable to find any marks of injury, but the man was evidently suffering from shock. He was taken to his house at Drumfrochar Road, Greenock, in a cab. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Wednesday 29th August, 1900, p.2.

  SHOCKING ACCIDENT. – A labourer named James Harper (54), residing at Southbank, Glenboig, has been run over and shockingly mutilated on a lye of railway in the Union Fireclay Company’s Works, Glenboig. He had been in the act of cleaning out a drain-pipe in the four-feet way when some waggons came upon him. He was dead when found. 

– Kirkintilloch Herald, Wednesday 29th August, 1900, p.5.



   Another distressing accident took place at Greenock West Railway Station this morning, as the result of an attempt being made to board a train in motion. The circumstances are of an exceedingly painful nature. It appears that Alexander McGregor, forty years of age, residing at 89 Dempster Street, who is employed as a clerk in the office of Mr Montgomery, goods superintendent at Greenock Central Station, arrived at the West Station to join the 8.3 train for Gourock, with the intention, it is stated, of spending his holidays at Kames with his wife there. When he got down the stairs the train had begun to move off, but he sprang on to the footboard. He slipped and fell down on to the rails, where he rolled in front of the wheels, with the result that he was shockingly injured. Both legs were run over, one being completely severed, while the other was terribly mangled. His head was also seriously bruised, together with his right arm. The accident was witnessed by Mr Telfer, stationmaster, who was on duty with his assistants. The train was immediately stopped and the poor man lifted up. Dr Russell was summoned, while the ambulance waggon  was telegraphed for. During the interval everything possible was done to relieve the sufferings of the injured man. He was subsequently conveyed to the Infirmary. 

   On inquiry at the Infirmary at one o’clock to-day we learned that Mr McGregor was in a low condition. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Friday 31st August, 1900, p.2.

   Shocking Railway Fatality at Omoa. – Edwin S. Wood (28), engineer, in the employment of the Coltness Iron Coy., Newmains, and residing at Bellside, Omoa, met with a dreadful accident on Saturday night, which resulted in instantaneous death. It transpires that he had been working a double shift the previous night in order to be free on Saturday, when he spent the day in Glasgow. Coming home by the 10 p.m. train at night he came out at Omoa, and, walking on the line, he became overpowered with sleep, and sat down on a sleeper about 300 yards from the station. The 12 p.m. late train from Glasgow coming up cut off his right arm and fractured his skull, killing him at once. On being discovered there he was conveyed to Cleland Police Station, and on Tuesday he was interred in Whitburn Cemetery. Deceased, who was for some time in the employment of Messrs James Wood (Ltd.), Bathville, and Dickson and Mann (Ltd.), Bathville Steel Works, was a son-in-law of Mr Nathaniel Muir, North Street, Armadale. He leaves a widow and three of a family to mourn his loss, for whom much sympathy is expressed by his numerous friends in the district. 

– West Lothian Courier, Friday 31st August, 1900, p.5.

Leave a Reply