January 1901

   ACCIDENT AT THE STATION. – On Monday afternoon, on the arrival of a goods train going west, an accident occurred which might have proved fatal, but, fortunately, did not turn out to be so bad as was thought at the time. John Turnbull Lindsay, a son of Mr Thomas Lindsay, draper, along with others had been at a rehearsal in the Union Hall for an entertainment which was to be given in the evening, and the lad on his way home waked up with a companion to the Railway Station. Some waggons were being shunted, and the wire rope used for this purpose coming in contact with a signal post threw it over, and in its fall it is supposed to have struck Lindsay, who was severely cut about the head, and otherwise bruised and shaken. He was conveyed to his father’s house in Station Road, and Dr Flaxman, who was in the town at the time, attended and dressed the wound, which had to be stitched in several places. The lad is getting on as well as can be expected in the circumstances. 

– Leven Advertiser & Wemyss Gazette, Thursday 3rd January, 1901, p.3.


   MAN KILLED AT LONGRIGGEND. – A serious accident, which has since proved fatal, occurred on the North British Railway at Longriggend on New Year’s night. A miner named Joseph McNish (41), residing at Avonhead Rows, had been seeing some friends off with a train at the station, and had then started to walk home by the railway. He had reached a part where there is a siding running parallel with the main line, and he had been on the six-foot way to keep clear of trains. The 7 P.M. train from Upper Bathgate came on behind him, and while he was up on a part of the embankment above the main line, he seems to have staggered down in front of the engine, which fractured his skull, while his left leg was run over above the knee. He was conveyed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Airdrie ambulance waggon, but has since died. 

– The Scotsman, Saturday 5th January, 1901, p.8.



   Last night a railway accident, which fortunately resulted only in a slight destruction of plant, occurred at the Bridge Street Junction, Glasgow, of the Caledonian Railway. About six o’clock a train of empty carriages was sent out from the Central to be deposited in the Bridge Street Station. It was taken down the Gourock line in order to be shunted back into the lye. About the same time the 5.10 P.M. workmen’s train from Newton to Bridge Street was approaching the junction, and the driver of the empty train, being of opinion that the signal which was given for the advance of the Newton train was intended for him, backed his train. The result was that the engine of the Newton train came into collision with the two rear empty bogie carriages and drove them off the line, while the Newton engine was locked and one of the carriages left the rails. Both trains were proceeding at a slow speed, and it was owing to that circumstance that the damage was so slight. No injury was caused to any one. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 5th January, 1901, p.3.







   This forenoon a very serious accident occurred on the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway to ex-Provost Colquhoun, Carnoustie, who is also farmer of Mains of Panmure, near the village. 

   It appears that Mr Colquhoun had been walking on the line towards Carnoustie Station when a down-coming train, due at 11.19, struck him with considerable force, and knocked him down. There were a large number of farmers and others in the train at the moment, and on the accident becoming known considerable apprehension was felt amongst the passengers when it became known that it was Mr Colquhoun who had been injured. 

   Dr Kidd who happened to be near at hand, was immediately summoned to Mr Colquhoun’s assistance. A stretcher having been procured the ex-Provost was removed to his son’s residence at Panmure Bank, Carnoustie. 

   When the accident became known in Carnoustie, where the ex-Provost is very intimately known, and where he has taken a very great interest in municipal matters, much sorrow was expressed. On inquiry at the ex-Provost’s residence to-day, it was learned that his condition was favourable as could be expected under the circumstances. 

   It seems that the ex-Provost has been badly hurt on one of the arms, while he received injury to his ribs. In addition to the medical assistance rendered by Dr Kidd, Dr Dickson, and later on Dr Paton appeared on the scene, everything possible was done to alleviate the suffering of Mr Colquhoun. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Saturday 5th January, 1901, p.4.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Saturday while the 5.25 p.m. train from Banff was approaching the crossing at Blairshinnoch the signal indicated all was clear, but on approach it was discovered that the gates were not open. As the train could not be pulled up in time it dashed through the gates. Miss Mary Macdonald who attended to the gates was found lying badly injured. She was carried into the house, and Dr Barclay, Banff, was soon on the scene, when it was found that she was much injured about the face, that there was a severe fracture on the left thigh, and that she had sustained severe bruises on the back and other parts of the body. It is supposed that Miss Macdonald had hung up the signal with the evident impression that she would have plenty of time to open the gates before the then approaching train came up. 

Banffshire Advertiser, Thursday 10th January, 1901, p.5.


   MAN KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – at 10.15 p.m. last Friday night the driver of a down G. and S.W. passenger train informed the officials at Nitshill that he had observed a man lying on the six-foot way about 600 yards on the Barrhead side of Nitshill station. On the stationmaster proceeding back along the line with two policemen they found a man as indicated by the driver. It was at first thought he was still in life, and they at once brought him on to Barrhead station, where, however, Dr McLeod pronounced life extinct. The body was taken to Paisley mortuary, where it was subsequently identified as that of Michael Ryan, Eddlewood Colliery, Hamilton. Deceased, it appears, had been visiting some friends at Nitshill, and was on his way home. His friends had left him sitting at the station waiting on the train, and it is supposed that he must have risen in a somewhat dazed condition and proceeded up the line towards Barrhead and was struck by a passing train. Death was certified as being due to fracture of the skull. Inspector Tosh took charge of the body until the arrival of Ryan’s relatives. 

Barrhead News, Friday 11th January, 1901, p.3.


   FATAL ACCIDENT. – On Tuesday night, about nine o’clock, the body of an old man, evidently a miner, aged about 60, was found lying on the down line of the Caledonian Railway near the Clyde bridge, Uddingston. The body was literally cut in two, having evidently been run down by a passing train. 

   MORE MINERS’ HOUSES. – Messrs A. G. Moore & Co., Blantyre Ferme Colliery, near Uddingston (whose miners have, since the opening of the pits some years ago, been in the practice of walking along the Caledonian Railway main line, much to the danger of their lives), have secured ground near to the colliery, and have begun the erection of a large number of houses for the pits. The site is practically midway between Newton, Blantyre, and Uddingston. 

– Bellshill Speaker, Saturday 12th January, 1901, p.3.





   A railway collision occurred on the Glasgow and South Western Railway yesterday afternoon, about a hundred yards from Stevenston station. The 5.17 p.m. train from Ardrossan to Kilmarnock had just left the station, when it collided with the last two of five empty waggons which were being shunted into a lye. No passengers were injured, but the tender of the passenger train left the line, and the engine was also partly unrailed, whilst one of the empty waggons and a van were damaged. Both the down and up line were damaged for several yards. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Saturday 12th January, 1901, p.3.






   The attempt made on Thursday night to wreck the 7.10 p.m. Caledonian express train from Aberdeen to London has created considerable excitement in Scottish railway circles. When proceeding at a fair rate of speed between Mossend South and Milnwood Junction, a few miles north of Motherwell, the engine was felt by those aboard to give a lurch, but fortunately kept the metals. It was discovered, our Motherwell correspondent telegraphs, that a points crank and other metal had been placed upon the line. The obstacle was thrown off by the engine’s guard, which was broken, little damage being done otherwise. 

   The line is being renewed at the point where the obstruction was placed, though the points crank and other articles had been carried some distance and then placed at the point where they were knocked aside by the engine. It is fortunate the crank broke and did not catch in the points, otherwise the consequences might have been serious. There was no alarm among the passengers, who were unaware of the narrow escape the train had run. 

   The news of the dastardly attempt was the principal topic of conversation among the many railwaymen at Perth last night. Our Perth reporter had a conversation with the driver of the express – that old and tried veteran of the metals, Mr John Hall. While he did not attempt to belittle the seriousness of the situation, he did not appear to be much upset by the affair. In answer to questions he said – “Such things occur frequently, and I thought that either something had broken or given way.” 

   “You never slowed down to make any examination of your engine?” 

   “No; I just drove right into Carstairs and telegraphed from there that such a thing had happened.” 

   “Do not attach much importance to the occurrence?” 

   “Well, not very much. I consider it was just a mad ‘freak’ of some ‘chap.’ Of course it could not have done very much damage, because it was placed on the wrong side of the rails. You see, there is what we call the high rails – that is the rail at the outside when going round a curve, and if any obstruction was to be put on this rail then the chances are that the engine would be seriously damaged, and possibly might cause a serious accident. Of course the mere fact of the life guard breaking does not indicate the importance of the affair, because it is a solid piece of steel, and would give no resistance, but simply snap over. You see” – here the veteran pointed to three bolts which supported the life guard – “very little resistance would easily break these, and especially when we are running at a fair rate of speed.” 

   “How fast were you running your engine when you detected the jolt?” 

   “Well, about 40 miles an hour. You see our speed is restricted when passing through the junction. But,” added Mr Hall, “if anyone had asked me at the time I felt the shock what had gone wrong, I simply could not have told them, because there are so many small things break and give way that it never gave me a moment’s thought to look and see what was wrong.” 

   From further conversation with Mr Hall, our correspondent learned that the dastardly attempt was not the work of a schoolboy, but had been the work of one who knew what he was about. “But,” added Mr Hall cheerfully, as our representative was leaving, “the occurrence has made no difference to me, and I am going out to-night the same as if nothing had happened.” 

– Dundee Courier, Saturday 12th January, 1901, p.5.





   Early this morning an alarming accident took place in the goods yard of the North British Railway Company at Dundee, by which a goods guard named Peter Grant had both his legs broken. 

   It appears that Grant, who resides at 19 Step Row, was on his way to begin work, and was walking amongst the network of rails at the goods department. An engine was engaged shunting several coal waggons into the coal siding, and Grant had failed to notice their approach. The waggons struck him, and knocked him into the four-foot way, but fortunately he fell clear of the rails. 

   On the accident being observed assistance was at once obtained, and Grant was removed from his dangerous position. It was then found that both his legs had been seriously injured, but he had sustained no bruise or marks. Medical aid was obtained, and subsequently the injured man was removed to the Infirmary. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Saturday 12th January, 1901, p.3.


   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT LEITH. – On Saturday evening a stoker named David Leighton (19), residing at 173 Dundee Street, Edinburgh, while engaged at the Caledonian Railway Company’s goods yard at Hawthornvale, Leith, was severely crushed between a tender and an engine. Leighton died before reaching the Royal Infirmary. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 14th January, 1901, p.2.


   SERIOUS ACCIDENT AT GRANGEMOUTH. – On Saturday night a serious accident occurred on the railway near Grangemouth Station. A miner, named Robert Marshall, 60 years of age, was found on the line by an engine-driver, and removed to the station, where it was found that one of his arms had been severed from his body. He had been run over by a train shunting while crossing the line. He was taken to Edinburgh Infirmary. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 14th January, 1901, p.2.


    SERIOUS ACCIDENT. – On Saturday night a serious accident occurred on the railway near Grangemouth Station. Robert Marshall (60), a miner, Dundas Street, was found by an engine-driver, who had heard him moaning. He had been run over by a train, one arm being severed from his body and the other crushed and lacerated. He was removed to Edinburgh Infirmary. 

– North British Daily Mail, Monday 14th January, 1901, p.3.


   INTERFERENCE WITH RAILWAY SIGNALS. – At the Burgh Police Court yesterday – before Bailie Hay – two boys from Burnbank, aged respectively nine and eight years, were charged with having, on the 29th ult., gone on to a railway siding and placed a piece of wood under the lever of a signal, which caused it to remain at “clear.” A serious accident was only averted by the signalman noticing what had occurred. There was a train of waggons standing in the siding, and he had, as he supposed, turned the signal against it to keep it there until a passenger train from Glasgow, then due, passed. The signal being at “clear,” the waggons were about to run on to the main line, a movement that was only prevented by the signalman’s timely action. The boys had been put off the siding a short time before. On account of their youth, sentence was delayed for three months. The magistrate administered a strong admonition to the parents to be more watchful of their children. 

– North British Daily Mail, Tuesday 15th January, 1901, p.3.



   A young lad named Hugh grant, son of Mr Grant, gamekeeper, Reelick, met with a fatal accident at Beauly Station on Saturday night. he had returned from Rogart, where he played in the shinty match on behalf of the Lovat team. In stepping from the 9 p.m. train, which had somehow passed the usual stopping place, he missed his footing and fell off the platform, his head coming heavily in contact with the rails. He was carried into the stationmaster’s house, where Drs McDonald and Leach were soon in attendance. Everything possible was done, but he never regained consciousness, and expired at 8 a.m. on Sunday. The cause of death is supposed to be concussion of the brain. He was 21 years of age. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 16th January, 1901, p.5.


   HAPPILY the Great North of Scotland Railway has been wonderfully free from serious accidents to life and limb. But on every line accidents will occur from time to time, and it is therefore very desirable that the employees about the trains and stations should be able to render first aid. The directors have recognised and encouraged this in a very practical manner, as was shown last night in connection with the presentation of the Directors’ Challenge Cup to the most successful ambulance team. The board have not only presented a cup for competition, but have offered other inducements and facilities, with the gratifying result that 300 of the employees have received ambulance training, and 200 have obtained certificates of proficiency. The Kittybrewster locomotive team proved the winners in the first general competition, and have secured the possession of the trophy for a year, along with medals for the individual members. At the presentation ceremony Dr Ferguson, chairman of the company, who has so sympathetically identified himself with all the interests of the undertaking, and with the welfare of all the employees, made a suggestive and admirable speech on the value of ambulance training, and Mr Moffatt, the general manager, also gave a very interesting little address, in which he referred with pardonable pride and satisfaction to the remarkable immunity which the line has enjoyed from accidents of a serious character. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 16th January, 1901, p.4.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT THORNTON. – A sad accident which terminated fatally occurred at Thornton Junction on Tuesday morning. A young lad named Michael Robertson, who was employed by the North British Company as waggon greaser, having occasion, shortly before six o’clock, to cross to the bothy, was run down by an engine. One of his legs was severed, and the other was severely injured. After being attended to by Dr McKenzie, the unfortunate lad was taken by special train to Edinburgh, that he might be treated in the Infirmary, but died on the way. Deceased, who was about 14 years of age, was the eldest son of Mr John Robertson, engine driver, Station Road, had only been in the employment of the Railway Company for little over a month, his duty being to lubricate the wagons. He was a smart, intelligent youth, and was a general favourite with all whom he came in contact. Much sympathy is felt in the district for his parents under the sad circumstances. 

– Leven Advertiser & Wemyss Gazette, Thursday 17th January, 1901, p.3.



   About nine o’clock this morning one of the cleaners at Waverley Station, Edinburgh, found the body of a newly-born female child, wrapped in newspaper and brown paper, under the seat of a third-class compartment of a railway carriage in the train from Macmerry that had arrived at the station a few minutes previously. There is so far no clue as to who placed the child there, but it is said there are no marks of violence. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Friday 18th January, 1901, p.5.






   An accident, fortunately unattended by serious consequences of any kind, occurred on Friday of last week at Holytown Station, on the main line of the Caledonian Railway system, between Glasgow and Edinburgh. While the 8.5 a.m. passenger train from Edinburgh was on the point of moving away from the station platform it was run into by a train of empty carriages coming up in the rear. The impact was sufficiently great to smash the brake composite of the Edinburgh train, which was knocked off the rails. 

   As already indicated, both trains were proceeding at a slow rate of speed in the same direction, consequently the collision affected only the rear carriage, though at least two of the passengers subsequently complained of having sustained shocks. One of these John Loudon, watchmaker, residing at Calderside Cottage, Shotts, received slight injury to the back of his head through being knocked against the side of the carriage in which he was seated. The other, evidently a miner, complained of injury to his leg. 

   The guard of the train had a miraculous escape. He had signalled the driver to leave, and was preparing to step into his van when he observed the other train approaching. Fortunately he had not mounted the footboard; otherwise he must have been seriously injured. 

   The damage to the line proved inconsiderable, and after the lapse of an hour all obstruction from the wrecked carriage was cleared away, and the traffic, which had been carried out on a single line, was resumed on both lines. No further damage was done to the passenger train, which proceeded with slight delay to Glasgow. 

   The train for the west was standing at the platform when another came up and ran into it, the guard’s van being damaged and pushed forward over the axle. The buffers and boiler head of the second engine were severely twisted. A thick fog prevailed. 

– Bellshill Speaker, Saturday 19th January, 1901, p.3.



   Yesterday morning, a man between 20 and 30 years of age met with a shocking death on the Caledonian Railway opposite the waggon works of Messrs Hurst, Nelson, & Co., at Motherwell. he was found lying on the railway, with both legs cut clean off at the knee, and both arms were broken. He had the appearance of an engineman or other workman, and it is supposed he had been walking on the railway on the way to his work when he was run down by a train. The body was removed to the burgh mortuary in the ambulance barrow, where it lies for identification. Last night the body was identified as James Wallace, engine-driver, Paterson Street. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 19th January, 1901, p.3.


   A BEER BARREL STOPS A TRAIN. – Last week a curious accident occurred on the railway at Castlecary. It appears a beer barrel had fallen from a goods train and rolled into the four-foot way. A Bo’ness bound goods train in passing caught the barrel, the staves and hoops of which became so mixed up with the engine that it was brought to a standstill, and required to be hauled clear after much delay. 

– Kirkintilloch Gazette, Saturday 19th January, 1901, p.3.



   The post-mortem examination by Sir Henry Littlejohn on the body of the newly-born female child found in a Macmerry train at the Waverley Station on Friday, has shown that the child had lived. There were no marks of violence on the body, however. 

Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 21st January, 1901, p.2.


   MISCHIEVOUS BOYS. – At Hamilton Justice of Peace Court yesterday, Thomas Gray (15), miner, Bothwell, was charged, along with another boy named McCallum, who failed to appear, with having on 2d inst. placed twenty-one loaded revolver cartridges in front of two passenger trains on the Caledonian Railway near Hamilton Palace Colliery. eighteen of them were put down in front of the first train, and went off with successive loud reports. The Justices imposed a fine of 10s., or seven days’ imprisonment. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 22nd January, 1901, p.6.



   While a boy named David Wilkie was in charge of a horse and cart belonging to Mr T. Wilkie, Lochmill, in the N.B. Railway coal depot, the animal took fright at a passing train and bolted. The boy, however, resolutely stuck to his horse’s head, and was dragged for about 50 yards along the road till he lost his footing, and fell before the left wheel, which passed over his body. Happily the lad seems little the worse of the accident, and the horse and cart were stopped before any damage was done. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Wednesday 23rd January, 1901, p.4.





   This morning a serious accident occurred at Auldbar Road Station to a porter named Alexander Tavendale, resulting in injuries which necessitated his removal to Forfar Infirmary. Tavendale was engaged in loading grain on a waggon, and while hauling a sack into a corner he slipped and fell out of the waggon, alighting heavily on the ground. It was at once seen that he had received serious injuries to his back, and was badly cut about the head and face. Mr Taylor, stationmaster, had the injured man conveyed to Forfar by passenger train, and on arrival there he was placed on a mattress and taken to the Infirmary, where his injuries were attended to by Dr Peterkin. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Thursday 24th January, 1901, p.5.


   CRUSHED TO DEATH. – William Best, railway porter, seventy years of age, residing at 298 Nuneaton Street, Glasgow, was killed on Friday night at Sighthill Station, by being crushed between two sets of waggons. He was engaged greasing the waggons at the time of the accident. 

   RAILWAY FATALITY. – Early on Saturday morning a telegraph boy, Peter Donnelly, (15), in the employment of the Caledonian Railway Company, met his death under painful circumstances. Shortly after five o’clock he had been sent from the signal-box at Stobcross Station to light the lamps in the west tunnel, and there, about fifteen minutes later, his mutilated body was found. He had been struck by a passing train. 

   CUT THROUGH BY A TRAIN. – A shocking fatality occurred on Friday morning on the Caledonian Railway at Motherwell. A man about twenty-five years of age was found lying on the railway with both legs cut off about the knee, and both arms broken. It is supposed that he is an engineman or some other workman who had been run down by a train while proceeding to his work. 

   SERIOUS RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Friday morning, as Alexander Douglas, a young man belonging to Annan, and employed as a porter at Newton passenger station on the Caledonian Railway, was in the act of crossing the line, he was run down by a train, and thrown into the six-foot way. His left foot was run over and shockingly crushed. He also sustained several scalp wounds, and had a miraculous escape from death. 

Southern Reporter, Thursday 24th January, 1901, p.4.




Run Down by an Express.


   Yesterday morning, between six and seven o’clock, Robert Muir (40), pithead worker, who resided at Rankin’s Land, Low Main Street, and John Cullen (18), miner, who lived at 102 Stewarton Street, Wishaw, lost their lives on the Wishaw and Holytown branch line of the Caledonian Railway about half-a-mile from Wishaw Central Station. The two men were on the way to their work at Netherjohnstone and Meadowhead Collieries respectively, the route by the railway being considered a “near cut” compared with the highway. The men had been walking on the up line, and owing to a mineral train passing them at the time, and it being dark, they did not observe the approach of an engine, which knocked them down and injured them in such a manner that death must have been instantaneous. The bodies, which were frightfully mangled, were removed to the Wishaw Burgh Buildings. The deceased Muir was married, and leaves a widow and two of a family. 

– North British Daily Mail, Friday 25th January, 1901, p.4.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – Robert Sinclair Bowie, clearing-house clerk, 124 Dundyvan Road, has met with an accident on the North British Railway near to Whifflet. the wheel of a passing waggon caught his left leg, and he was so badly hurt that he was removed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. 

– North British Daily Mail, Friday 25th January, 1901, p.6.


   Railway Porter Injured. – Alex. Stevendale, railway porter, employed at Auldbar Station, was admitted to Forfar Infirmary yesterday suffering from the effects of an accident sustained while engaged in his occupation at Auldbar. It appears that Stevendale had been loading grain on a waggon, and in adjusting one of the sacks, while standing on the top of another, his foot slipped and he fell violently on to the line, severely cutting his face and injuring his back. Mr Taylor, the stationmaster, had the unfortunate man placed in the van of the train due at Forfar at 10.37 a.m., and he was conveyed to the Infirmary. It is not yet known how serious may be the injuries to the back. 

– Dundee Courier, Friday 25th January, 1901, p.6.


Body Identified.

   The body of the man who was killed on the railway last Friday morning (as reported in our last week’s issue) was identified as that of James Wallace, engineman, who resided in Paterson Street. Deceased, who was 27 years of age, had formerly been an engine-driver on the railway and belonged to Blairgowrie. he was employed in the new Waggon Work and was proceeding to his work in the morning when he was run down by a train and had both his legs cut off. 

Motherwell Times, Friday 25th January, 1901, p.2.



   Last night William Wilson (21), shunter, Park Terrace, met with a serious accident while working in the mineral yard of the Caledonian (West) Station. Wilson was standing on the footplate of an engine, which was passing over a crossing, when he came in contact with a waggon. The force of the blow knocked him off the step, and he was crushed between the waggon and the locomotive. Dr Lennox was called, and it was found that his injuries consisted of a fracture of the left arm, in addition to a number of bruises about the chest and head. He was removed to the Infirmary in the ambulance van.

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 26th January, 1901, p.3.


   ACCIDENT AT JAMESTOWN STATION. – On Saturday afternoon, an accident of a serious nature occurred at Jamestown Station. The Forth and Clyde goods train, which runs between Balloch and Aberfoyle, was shunting some waggons at the station, when the guard, named Edward Percival, went round the back of the van to take a wedge out of one of the wheels. In doing so he did not notice a number of waggons coming in the opposite direction, and before he could get clear he was jammed between the buffer of one of the waggons and the van. Percival’s condition is critical. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 28th January, 1901, p.4.


   FIFE MINER KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – James Fairweather, miner, North Lumphinnans, was killed on the North British railway near Kelty Station on Saturday afternoon. Along with his brother and another miner, Fairweather was proceeding along the line from North Lumphinnans to Kelty, when the express train leaving Edinburgh for Perth at 2.35 was due to pass. The three men were walking in single file in the six-foot-way. James Fairweather being last, and owing probably to the high wind they did not hear the train approaching until it was close upon them. The engine-driver blew his whistle, and the two men in front stepped aside, but Fairweather, who had been walking on the end of the sleepers, was struck on the head by the engine and killed instantaneously. The deceased was twenty-six years of age. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 28th January, 1901, p.11.



   This morning a collision occurred on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway at Pleasance Junction to the south of Dumfries Station. When the 8.45 Glasgow train was standing on the up goods line at the junction, by some misunderstanding the 1.10 a.m. train for Ayr, which had been on the down main line, started, with the result that a collision occurred with the Glasgow train. Three waggons were derailed, and two of them were badly damaged. The down main line was completely blocked, and also the up goods line. Considerable delay was occasioned to traffic. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 29th January, 1901, p.2.


   ALLEGED CULPABLE HOMICIDE. – At Stirling yesterday, Robert Dunlop, engine driver, and James Spence, goods fireman, emitted a declaration before Sheriff-Substitute Buntine in connection with the death of a railway porter on the railway between Dennyloanhead Station and Banknock Station, during the storm on Friday last. The charge against them is one of culpable homicide. It is alleged that they ought not to have been there with their engine at the time the accident occurred. The deceased was walking along the line to attend the signals when he was knocked down. 

   DUNDEE RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – The accident which occurred on Monday evening on the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway at Dundee East Station to a foreman surfaceman named John Walker has had a fatal termination, Walker dying yesterday morning in Dundee Royal Infirmary. The accident was a particularly distressing one, occurring as it did through walker’s devotion to his duty. Deceased’s work was finished early in the day, but fearing that the frost would seriously affect the proper action of the points, he voluntarily visited the station about nine o’clock, and, accompanied by his son, started down the line to inspect the rails. While thus engaged he failed to notice the approach of an engine, with the result that he was knocked down and terribly injured, both legs being broken and one arm fractured. 

– The Scotsman, Wednesday 30th January, 1901, p.9.






   Yesterday – before Sheriff Buntine – at Stirling, Robert Dunlop, engine-driver, and Jas. Spence, goods fireman, on the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway, emitted a declaration regarding a charge of having culpably caused the death of a signal porter employed on the same line. It is alleged that the accused ran their engine past a signal cabin without getting the “staff” to proceed, and that on returning to procure it their train ran over and killed the signal porter, who was walking along the line. The defence of the accused is that, on discovering their mistake in not getting the baton, they saw the signal standing at clear, and accordingly ran their train back the line, instead of coming to a stand and returning on foot for the staff. 

– Dundee Courier, Wednesday 30th January, 1901, p.7.





   The fish trade on the Fife coast is at present heavy, and necessitates the running of special trains conveying fish from the Anstruther district to the south markets. 

   Last night about six o’clock one of these trains with an exceptional number of waggons laden with fish, and drawn by two locomotives, was approaching Burntisland when the Westinghouse brake connection gave way – caused, it is believed, by the rate of speed at which the long train rounded the sharp curve where the old line and the new join east of the station. The brakes let loose acted at once on the fast-running train by emitting steam and sending out sparks of fire, which greatly alarmed the passengers on the Burntisland platform as the train rushed through the station. Happily no damage was done, and two hundred yards further on the train was safely brought to a stand. A delay of ten minutes enabled the conductors to restore the brake connection and the journey to be resumed. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Thursday 31st January, 1901, p.3.



   The North British Railway Company, following the lead of other companies, now intimate that the present method of communication between passenger, guard, and engine-driver by means of a cord outside the carriage window will be gradually discontinued, and a new system adopted whereby a passenger will be enabled to stop the train by applying the continuous brake from the inside of the carriage. The fitting up of the stock with the new communication will necessarily be a gradual process, and the present cord communication will be continued in addition thereto until complete trains can be formed with the new apparatus. The instructions applicable to the new system of communication are – When a train is stopped between stations by application of the continuous brake, it must be protected by signals as prescribed in the company’s regulations. Should there be only one guard with the train, the fireman must go back and protect it whilst the guard attends to the requirements of the passenger who used the communication. Steps must thereupon be taken to find out whether the stoppage had been caused by a defect in the break itself or by the action of a passenger in pulling the chain placed over the quarter light in each compartment. This can be readily learned by examining the red disc placed at the end of each carriage, which, if standing in a vertical position, denotes that the brake has been applied from that vehicle. It will, thereupon, be the duty of the guard to examine the inside of each compartment, and from the deflection of the chain over the quarter light – and which cannot be replaced from the inside – the particular compartment from which the brake was applied can be at once ascertained. Before the train can proceed on its journey the guard must turn the disc back to the horizontal position, which will have the effect of closing the air valve. Guard’s must report all cases of unnecessary use of the apparatus, giving the name and address of the offender, so that proceedings may be instituted. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Thursday 31st January, 1901, p.3.

Leave a Reply