June 1901

   FATAL ACCIDENT AT THE DOORS. – Edward McClusky, coal-trimmer, residing in Kerse Road, met with an accident at the docks on Monday night, from the effects of which he succumbed next morning. He had been going to his work about ten o’clock on Monday night. While crossing the railway line leading to the coal hoists he was run over by some coal waggons, and was so severely injured about the legs and lower part of the body that he died, as above stated, on Tuesday morning. he was 37 years of age, and leaves a widow and four family. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 1st June, 1901, p.5.





   Between four and five o’clock on Tuesday afternoon a rather alarming accident happened on the single line of railway in connection with the North British system running from Kipps to Thrashbush and other quarries, etc., in New Monkland. The line is on a very steep gradient, and it appears that an engine had been taking a train 16 waggons loading with road metal down the incline from Wellside Quarry (near Couther), there being a brake van in the front and another in the rear. When the train reached Thrushbush Quarry, which is situation in east side of the road to New Monkland, it brought to a standstill. The engine and front van were then detached and went into and went into Thrushbush Quarry to lift other six waggons, also loaded with road metal. The separation had not long taken place when the waggons and van left standing on the incline began to move away. Archibald Lamont, who was in the van at the rear, found it impossible to check the train by the brake, and, probably owing to the slippery nature of the rails, as it had been railing heavily, and also to the heavy load in the waggons, the latter gained in momentum until they now ran at a greatly accelerated speed. Lamont, seeing danger ahead, leapt from his van as the runaway train sped through the plantation before reaching Burnbrae. On learning that the train had gone, the enginedriver at once left the quarry with his engine in an attempt to overtake the waggons, but he was too late. The runaway train dashed on through Leaend till it ran on to the main line between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Here a terrific smash occurred. Three of the waggons were knocked into splinters and their contents strewed upon the lines of railway to Slamannan and Airdrie, these lines being thereby blocked for a considerable time. The waggons were piled up above one another as high as the telegraph wires, some of which were cut. Fortunately no one was hurt by the untoward occurrence. 

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, Saturday 1st June, 1901, p.4.


   ACCIDENT TO A BOY. – A boy named Daniel Brown (11), residing at 20 Burn Road, Parkhead, was removed to the Royal Infirmary yesterday afternoon, suffering from fracture of the skull, as the result of an accident. It appears that Brown was climbing over the parapet of the N.B. Railway bridge which spans New Road, Parkhead, when he over-balanced and fell to the ground, a distance of 14 feet. 

– North British Daily Mail, Saturday 1st June, 1901, p.4.


   ACCIDENT AT KIRTLEBRIDGE. – On Saturday morning a waggon inspector named McCracken, employed on the Caledonian Railway at Kirtlebridge, met with an accident there. His head was injured, and he was conveyed to the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle. Six doctors were sent for to attend the injured man when the train reached Carlisle, but not one of the medical men was at home. 

– North British Daily Mail, Monday 3rd June, 1901, p.3.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT BURNTISLAND. – Yesterday morning a serious accident occurred at the dock siding adjoining Harbour Place, Burnisland. A mineral train on being shunted, somehow missed the points, and was pushed into a “lie” used for coal storage. Surmounting the barrier or stopbuffer, the waggons knocked down the brick building enclosing a large gas meter for the Harbour,, and colliding with a telegraph post brought it to the ground. The train next came in contact with and demolished the crossing-keeper’s hut, and an old man named Hutchison, sheltering there, narrowly escaped with his life. Continuing their destructive course, the coal waggons passed over the level crossing, and were thrown against the masonry and railing bounding the public road, much of which was dislodged. The wreck of telegraph wires and dangerous escape of gas from the overturned meter, which had become severed from its connections, and could not at first be easily remedied, caused some anxiety, but a staff of workmen under the traffic superintendent and the gas manager soon put matters to right. 

   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Sunday a miner named David Jeffrey who resided in Bellshill, died in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, whither he was conveyed early in the morning, after having been found on the railway near Bellshill Station with both arms broken and his scalp torn. It is supposed that Jeffrey had strayed on the line, fallen asleep on the metals, and been run down by a passing train. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 4th June, 1901, p.4.


   BANFF – ACCIDENT AT HARBOUR STATION. – On Tuesday, George Rodger, porter at Banff Harbour Station, received pretty severe injury to his head by an accident which happened while he was assisting in the loading on waggons of the vans belonging to White’s switchback railway. The vans were drawn by the engine from the loading bank on to the waggon by means of a wire rope passed over the waggon. While loading one, the engine had been started rather suddenly, and the van instead of passing on to the middle of the truck was pulled along with the wheels of one side over one of the sides of the waggon. Roger, who was near the shafts of the van, was suddenly thrown, by the lurching over of the van, on the ground, and as stated was severely cut about the head. He was taken home, and his injuries were attended to by Dr Barclay. 

Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser, Tuesday 4th June, 1901, p.5.


   FATAL ACCIDENT. – A sad accident occurred on Monday night of last week on the Caledonian Railway between Garnkirk and Stepps Stations. What is known as the “North goods” leaves Buchanan Street Station every night at 11.30 p.m., and calls at Garnkirk and Gartcosh Stations if there be any north-going traffic. On this particular night, however, it did not stop at Garnkirk, but on arriving at Gartcosh a little after midnight it was found that the brakesman was missing. An engine was at once sent back, and the unfortunate man was found on the railway opposite Cardowan Fire Clay Works. He was dead, and the body was fearfully mangled. It is not known how the accident occurred, but it is thought that the deceased, in attending to his lamps, had lost his hold and fallen before the van, the wheels passing over his body. Deceased, whose name was Rose, was unmarried. 

– Kirkintilloch Herald, Wednesday 5th June, 1901, p.4.


   FALL FROM A RAILWAY WAGGON. – On Monday, a workman named Cossar, while engaged in unloading wood from a waggon in the railway siding of Messrs Patterson’s woodyard in Ladhope Vale, fell on to the railway and had his head badly cut, besides receiving a severe shock. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 6th June, 1901, p.3.


   THE irregularity of the train service between Ardrossan and Glasgow is the occasion for the resuscitation of a number of old but trite chestnuts. Such, for example, as the story of the man who went to commit suicide on a railway company’s main line, and how, finding the train was late, he lay down on the bank to wait for it, died of starvation. That might have happened on our local lines several times within the past few days. 

– Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Friday 7th June, 1901, p.5.


   Alleged Malicious Mischief. – A boy named Adam Chambers, residing at Main Street, was charged at the Burgh Court, on Monday, with maliciously placing a brick under a lever at the railway joints, near to Messrs Love and Stewart’s woodyard, leaving the points half open, causing an engine to be thrown off the line. A plea of not guilty was tendered, and the case was committed for proof. 

– West Lothian Courier, Friday 7th June, 1901, p.5.


   Two men were on Wednesday killed, and three injured, by an accident which occurred at Talla Waterworks. One of the wire ropes in connection with the aerial railway broke, and came down into the trench, striking the five men. 

– North British Daily Mail, Friday 7th June, 1901, p.4.


   FATAL ACCIDENT ON THE CALEDONIAN RAILWAY. – A sad fatality occurred on the Caledonian Railway between Carlisle and Glasgow on Friday night, Wm. Brown, engine driver, having been killed. While about a mile south of Ecclefechan Station, on a goods train. Brown jumped on to the tender in order to find out if the supply of water in the tank was sufficient to last out till Lockerbie was reached, when his head struck a bridge spanning the road, his skull being fractured. He was conveyed to the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, but died after admission. Brown belonged to Glasgow, and leaves a wife and two children. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 10th June, 1901, p.8.





   Yesterday, as the 12.20 p.m. train from Perth to Creiff was between Methven Junction and Balnagowan Station the driver of the engine observed a man walking on the railway, going in the direction of Balnagowan, about a quarter of a mile ahead. The driver at once blew the whistle, but the man seemed to take no notion, and before the train could be pulled up the engine had knocked him down and passed over his right leg, which was severed from the body, while one side of his head was badly bruised, caused by the fall. The train was brought to a standstill, and luckily the Police Constables Black and Rose, Crieff, were in the train, and they having some ambulance training did what they could for the injured man =, who was conveyed to Crieff by the same train. On arrival at Crieff the party was taken to one of the waiting-rooms, and Drs Dobie and Burnett, Crieff, attended to his injuries, and had him removed to Perth Infirmary by the next train. The man seems to be between 30 and 40 years of age, and gave the name of Jon Robertson, employed as a cattleman on the farm of Ross, Balnagowan, and is said to be a native of Shetland. 

– Dundee Courier, Tuesday 11th June, 1901, p.6.



   An alarming accident in which a seaman named John Flannigan had a miraculous escape, took place on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway yesterday evening. It seems that Flannigan, who resides at 16 Walkinshaw Street, Johnstone, was a passenger on the train which leaves Princes Pier Station at 5.40, and that shortly after the train had left, and when it was going at a fair rate of speed, he conceived the idea of passing along the footboard from one compartment to another. Notwithstanding the danger involved in this proceeding, he got outside the carriage, and in endeavouring to work his way along lost his hold of the hand rail, with the result that he was precipitated over the parapet of the viaduct at Upper Ingleston Street. He alighted on the roadway, falling a distance of about thirty feet, but, strangely enough, his injuries, so far as can be ascertained, are of a comparatively slight nature, as beyond some bruises about the head he appears to have escaped without any serious consequences. the man was consequently removed to the Infirmary. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Tuesday 11th June, 1901, p.2.


   KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – On Monday afternoon a man named Robert Park, a reservist of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, fell from a north going passenger train near Enterkinfoot. about half way between Sanquhar and Thornhill, and was instantaneously killed, having sustained dreadful injuries to his head. A surfaceman was on the other side of the line at the spot when the train passed, but although he was immediately at Park’s side life was extinct. Park’s identity was established by papers in his possession, and the sum of £3, 8s. 9d. was found in his pockets. It was evidently a pure accident, the inference being that for some purpose the deceased had opened the door, and been jerked out as the train swept round the sharp curve. 

– The Scotsman, Wednesday 12th June, 1901, p.10.


   A FARMER KILLED IN GLASGOW. – On Saturday forenoon, while on the platform at St Enoch Station, Glasgow, Symington McMaster, Calloch Farm, Dunragit, fell between the engine and the break of a train in motion, and was killed instantaneously. The engine driver, the stationmaster, and others saw the occurrence, but nothing could be done to save the man. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 13th June, 1901, p.4.


   On Saturday a Wigtownshire farmer named Symington McMaster committed suicide in St Enoch’s Station, Glasgow, by throwing himself in front of a railway engine. 

– Montrose, Arbroath and Brechin Review, and Forffar and Kincardineshire Advertiser, Friday 14th June, 1901, p.7.


   SAD TRAGIC FATALITY AT LINLITHGOW OIL WORKS. – On Sunday morning a gloom was cast over the Kinscavil and Linlithgow district by the intelligence that a young man, named John Dewar, aged 25, an engaged as an engineer at the Champfleurie works, had met his death under somewhat tragic circumstances. It appears that the deceased had gone to do some repairs about the machine on the Sunday morning. Before proceeding to work, he naturally went to the machine t see what was required, and on ascertaining this he left the engine-house at the breaker to go to the shop for his tools. in doing this he had occasion to cross the line and pass between two empty waggons. When in the act of doing this a loaded waggon came down and struck the empty one. The young man was caught between two of the waggon, and so severely injured that death ensued almost instantaneously. It seems that the moving of the hutches was so sudden and unexpected that there was no chance of escape. The body was conveyed to the house of deceased’s father, who is foreman engineer, and expressions of profound sorrow were heard on all hands. It may be mentioned that the deceased was only married about the end of last year, and to the young widow, as well as the father and mother, much sympathy has gone out in the sad bereavement which has befallen them. The funeral, which was a large one, took place in Linlithgow Cemetery, and was attended by officers and brethren of the Willow Tree Lodge British Order of Free Gardeners, of which the deceased was a member. 

Linlithgowshire Gazette, Friday 14th June, 1901, p.4.







   An accident of a rather serious character befel one of the engines that conveyed the Caledonian train that left Dundee Station at seven o’clock last night bound for Glasgow. the train was heavy and very long, and two engines conveyed it. As the train was passing Bannockburn Station it came to a sudden stop. Excited passengers immediately began to look out of the carriage windows to discover the cause. It turned out that the lift hand coupling rod of the pilot engine had broken in two, and had split up and broken one side of the engine, the driver and fireman having a very narrow escape. It was found impossible to proceed with the train until the broken engine was detached and conveyed to a side. Prior to this being done, the engine-drivers had to detach part of the broken coupling rod, their efforts being watched by most of the passengers, who had alighted. Examination of the permanent way showed that the rod had broken up many of the sleepers, though, happily, the rails were uninjured. A Glasgow engineer, who was amongst the passengers, expressed the opinion that had the rod split nearer the cylinder instead of in the centre, considering the speed at which the train was travelling, the engine would undoubtedly have capsized, pulled its neighbour over, and consequently have endangered the lives of drivers and passengers. In consequence of the accident, the train arrived at Buchanan Street Station nearly an hour late. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 15th June, 1901, p.4.


   FIRST TURN-OUT OF THE FIRE ENGINE. – Last Saturday fire broke out on the lyes at the goods station. On the alarm being raised, the Fire Brigade turned out with their new “steamer.” Only eight-minutes elapsed from the time it left the engine-house till it reached the station, and in another four a full head of steam was on, making a total of twelve minutes, which was commendably smart. Luckily the straw shed and truck containing fibre, which had been ignited, it is supposed by a spark from an engine, were the only things destroyed, owing to the absence of wind, and the fire was put out by means of buckets of water, the engine not being used, owing to the nearest hydrant being as far away as Gibson Place, the station being outwith the burgh boundaries. 

– St. Andrews Citizen, Saturday 15th June, 1901, p.4.


   FATAL ACCIDENT TO A CHILD. – On Saturday a little boy, five years of age, named Thomas Stirling, son of Alexander Stirling, miner, was run over by a coal waggon in Crofthead, near to the Palace Pit. the poor child’s legs were almost severed from his body. The child was taken to the Falkirk Cottage Hospital, where, however, it succumbed to its injuries on Monday evening. 

– Falkirk Herald, Saturday 15th June, 1901, p.5.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT ELIE. – Yesterday afternoon, while the four o’clock express train from Anstruther to Edinburgh was going into Elie station, the engine jumped the points and went off the rails. Its impetus sent it racing up the slope of the platform, where it toppled over and fell on the rails on its broadside. The carriage next the engine was hauled off the rails, but the other carriages remained standing. the engine-driver named Jamieson, belonging to Edinburgh, and his fireman, leapt off the engine as it rushed up the platform slope. Jamieson in his fall was cut on the face and bruised, but the stoker escaped unhurt. None of the passengers suffered any injury. The accident was immediately noted to Burntisland, and a breakdown gang arrived in an hour with a special train, which was despatched to Edinburgh with the passengers. The line was blocked for a couple of hours. Late last night the engine was lifted, and the damaged carriage taken away. Several yards of the platform were torn up, but otherwise the damage was slight. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 18th June, 1901, p.7.


  MAN KILLED AT A RAILWAY STATION. – About a quarter past ten on Saturday night a post office telegraph linesman, named James Prentice (62), fell down the centre stair of the new subway at Stirling Station, and received fatal injuries. His wife was in the station at the time, and Prentice is supposed to have been following a woman who had snatched his watch, when he fell from the middle landing on to the cement floor. The woman who took the deceased’s watch is also alleged to have stolen his wife’s purse. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 20th June 1901, p.4.






   Last night a serious detention was caused to the eight o’clock Aberdeen London express on account of an alarming burning accident. It appears that shortly after leaving Stonehaven several of the passengers felt a strong smell of burning, and attempts were at once made to have the train stopped. It was eventually got to a standstill between Laurencekirk and Marykirk. On examination, it was found that the sleeping saloon and a corridor carriage were on fire, flames issuing from the roof of the saloon. It was resolved to take the train to Marykirk, where the burning carriages were shunted into a siding. Nothing could be done to extinguish the burning vehicles, as no water was available, and the carriages were completely burned, nothing but the wheels remaining. It was learned that there were about a dozen passengers in the saloon, while the corridor carriage contained a number of men, and when the fire broke out the passengers became alarmed, and had to make their escape from the carriages by means of opening the door and walking along the footboard. Although severely shaken, none of them were injured. Several explosions of gas took place at Marykirk Station, one or two portions of the cylinders being thrown a considerable distance, and one or two of the passengers had very narrow escapes. The damage done is considerable, the saloon, which was estimated to cost about £3000, and the corridor carriage, which was also expensive, being completely destroyed. One of the ladies – Miss Nellie Donaldson, Aberdeen, well known as a vocalist in Huntly and elsewhere – who occupied a seat in the saloon, was on her way to London to be married, and her wedding trosseau, along with a purse containing her ticket and £40 of money, were burned. 

– Huntly Express, Friday 21st June, 1901, p.5.


   An engineer named John Thrushill met with a shocking accident in the Glasgow and South-Western Railway store, Graeme Street, Glasgow, yesterday. He was engaged repairing a hoist, and fell from a height of 60 feet to the bottom of the well, where his lifeless body was picked up by several workmen who heard the thud, and proceeded to the spot. It is not known how the accident occurred. 

– Dundee Courier, Saturday 22nd June, 1901, p.4.


Boy Injured at the Railway.

  On Thursday evening Robert Ferguson, a lad of ten, received injuries at the Great North Railway station which necessitated the amputation of his left arm above the elbow and two or three fingers of the right hand, and he further sustained a wound on the back of his head. The accident occurred about eight o’clock. While the lad was crossing the railway from Ashgrove to the station with his father’s tea – Geo. Ferguson, fireman, in the company’s service – he was caught unawares by an engine, with the above result. The engine by which the boy was injured belonged to the Highland Railway Company, which was on the Great North line transferring through waggons at that time. 

– Northern Scot and Moray & Nairn Express, Saturday 22nd June, 1901, p.5.





   An inquiry was held at Dumfries yesterday by Sheriff Campion and a jury regarding the fatal accident to William Brown, engine-driver, belonging to Glasgow, which occurred near Ecclefechan Station, on the Caledonian railway, on the 7th inst. The deceased had, it appeared climbed over the coals on the tender in order to ascertain whether they could run to Beattock without a fresh supply or would require to stop at Ecclefechan to take in water. While on the tender he was struck on the head by an overhead bridge, three-quarters of a mile south of the station, and he died the same evening in Carlisle Infirmary from fracture of the skull. Donald Cameron, the fireman, was asked by the Sheriff if that was the usual way to proceed when a driver wanted to see how the water in the tank stood. Witness – They usually look when they are at a standstill somewhere. Mr Young, a juryman – Is there no indicator in the centre of the engine where the driver us standing to show whether there is sufficient water or not? Witness – No. Mr Young – And you have to go to the back of the tender? Witness – Well, that’s the only means you have of seeing the water in the tank. The jury added to their formal verdict of the cause of death a rider suggesting that the Railway Company should place an indicator on the engine, thereby protecting the lives of its servants. The Sheriff – Well, I think that is a suggestion which after the evidence to-day suggests itself. It seems a scarcely up-to-date idea that a driver should have to crawl over the tender to see what the supply of water in the boiler is. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 22nd June, 1901, p.3.


‘Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office,’ Vol. 95; Meikle, Wilson R., Glasgow, Scotland, Automatic coupling for railway or like vehicles, no. 676,903, June 24 [1901].



   Last night fire broke out in the goods shed of Inverkeithing Railway Station and considerable damage was done to the building and to rolling stock before the burning was extinguished. the building was a wooden one, and the fire spread so rapidly that the flames caught the waggons that were standing in the siding adjoining the shed, and as many as eight waggons laden with bales of paper were completely destroyed. telegraph material, pictures, grates, and different classes of goods were stored in the shed, and most of the goods were reduced to ashes. The damage is estimated at £1000. the fire is supposed to have originated from sparks from an engine. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Tuesday 25th June, 1901, p.4.



Thomas Henry, railway surfaceman, married, and residing in Mitchell Street, Rutherglen, was killed on the line in the vicinity of Rutherglen Station. It appears that Henry, while in the act of stepping off the van of a goods train, was overtaken by the 8.45 morning express train for Edinburgh, being struck on the side of the head and body, and killed instantaneously. Deceased was married only about eight months ago. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Wednesday 26th June, 1901, p.3.


   ALARMING ACCIDENT TO A BLAIRGOWRIE TRAIN. – The passengers by the last train from Blairgowrie to Dundee on Thursday had an unhandy experience. As the train approached the gates at the level crossing, at Coupar-Angus the driver observed that the gates were closed against him. What was worse still a horse and cart were just in the act of passing. Realising the gravity of the situation the railwayman at once did his best to bring his engine to a standstill. Unfortunately, he was too close to the crossing to bring the locomotive to a stop, and the train crashed through the gates, scattering them apart, and knocking the wood to splinters. Luckily the horse and cart had just got clear, but another minute would have sealed the fate, not only of the carter, but of the animal he was driving. As it was, the passengers in the train were somewhat alarmed by the exciting occurrence. A couple of first-class carriages containing a marriage party had been coupled on to the engine and the flying splinters from the gates struck these carriages, and carried away parts of the woodwork. 

Perthshire Advertiser, Wednesday 26th June, 1901, p.3.


   BOY KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – At Irvine yesterday, a little boy named Harry Johnstone, twelve years of age, son of Harry Johnstone, residing at Black’s Land, Fullarton Street, lost his life on the railway. He had been putting puns on the line of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Kilmarnock branch, over which a train passed. The little fellow then went to pick up the pins, and failed to see an engine coming in the opposite direction, which ran over and killed him. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 27th June, 1901, p.4.


   PUG LEAVES THE RAILS. – Last Friday afternoon a rather alarming accident occurred on the Cross Arthurlie section of the new Paisley, Barrhead, and District Railway. A pug engine was coming down the line towards Glen Street with a string of 10 or 12 loaded waggons in charge, when in some way the brake on being applied failed to act. The engineman made several efforts to slow-up, but without avail, and realising that an accident was inevitable he leapt off the engine, escaping, fortunately, unhurt. Left to itself the train dashed down the line, and when opposite the head of Mill Road it plunged over the embankment, dragging two of the waggons with it. the force of the impact piled the other trucks and their contents on the top of each other in the greatest confusion. the accident attracted considerable attention, and on Friday night the scene was visited by large crowd of people. A clearing gang was immediately set to work on the debris, and in a comparatively short space of time they began to evolve something like order out of the chaos. the engine and a number of the trucks were considerably damaged, but by Saturday the former was back in position on the rails, and by Monday all signs of the accident had been removed. 

Barrhead News, Friday 28th June, 1901, p.3.


   On Tuesday morning a platelayer named Thomas Hendry, residing at 12 Mitchell Street, Rutherglen, was in the act of stepping from the brake van of a ballast train standing on the loop line at Rutherglen when he was struck on the right side of the head by a passing train. His skull was fractured and death was instantaneous. 

   A sad accident occurred at the level crossing on the North British Railway at Lennoxtown on Friday night. A man named Hugh Kelly attempted to cross in front of the 9.20 train for Glasgow, and was caught by the buffer of the engine and killed almost instantaneously. Kelly was the only support of a widowed mother. 

– Bellshill Speaker, Saturday 29th June , 1901, p.3.


   FATAL ACCIDENT. – A distressing accident occurred at the Alum Works level crossing on Friday night last week. A man, named Hugh Kelly, attempted to cross the line in front of the 9.20 train to Glasgow, and being caught by the buffers of the engine was killed almost instantaneously. Kelly, who was about forty years of age, was the sole support of a widowed mother, He was a machine printer to trade, and lost his situation on the closing of Kincaid print-works in the Vale of Leven, and latterly was employed as a surfaceman on the railway. Deceased being of a civil and obliging disposition was much respected in the locality. He filled the position of half-back in the now defunct Campsie F.C., and was not unknown in cricket circles. He was exceedingly popular among his fellow players. the sad accident cast a gloom over the east end of the village, where he resided. 

– Kirkintilloch Gazette, Saturday 29th June, 1901, p.3.


   FATAL ACCIDENT. – On Wednesday afternoon, David Douglas, a surfaceman, met his death on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway between Johnstone and Elderslie. Deceased stepped out of the way of a goods train, when he was struck by the engine of a passenger train, which he did not observe approaching. He was killed on the spot. The body was removed to his house in Collier-street. Deceased was forty-nine years of age, and leaves a large family. 

   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – A serious railway accident happened at the South Sidings, Johnstone, on Saturday night. At half-past eleven, Samuel Welsh, shunter, was found there in an unconscious condition. the injured man had been engaged in shunting operations, and it is supposed the end of his pole had been struck by the buffers of a waggon, causing the other end to strike him on the lower part of the body, injuring him internally. He was attended to by Dr. Taylor, who ordered his removal to the hospital. 

– Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette, Saturday 29th June, 1901, p.6.

One thought on “June 1901

  1. Hello Jenny
    My name is Gary Squire and live in Sydney Australia. The article above entitled Fatal Accident On the Caledonian Railway dated 10 June 1901 is about my great grandfather, WIlliam Brown, who family folklore has said was killed as a locomotive engine driver. He was in his early forties. Aside from another very brief newspaper note, this is the first really informative confirmation of that accident having actually occurred. Not only that, but it identifies the date and location. With the help of an historical map of Ecclefechan compared to the current Google Map, I believe I can identify the location of the very bridge that killed him. My grandfather was 8 at the time, and migrated to Australia in 1923 where he died in 1946; I was born 1951.

Leave a Reply