August 1901

   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT IN GLASGOW. – George Dallas, sixteen years of age, residing at 108 Garngad road, was knocked down at St Rollox Station on Tuesday night by an express train from Aberdeen, and killed instantaneously. The deceased was in the employment of the Caledonian Railway Company. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 1st August, 1901, p.4.


   SURFACEMAN KILLED AT CARLUKE. – On Wednesday morning between eight and nine o’clock a fatal accident befel a railway surfaceman named William Mulholland (25), Law Crossings, Carluke. He was repairing the line along with three others, and stepped on to the down line to let an up train pass, when an express came down on the opposite line. His body was cut into pieces and carried along about 90 yards. Deceased leaves a widow and young family. The other three men who were working beside him had a marvellous escape, only managing to clear in time. 

– Bellshill Speaker, Saturday 3rd August, 1901, p.3.


   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT PAISLEY. – Early yesterday morning some workmen were shifting a steam navvy from a cutting at the new railway at Jenny’s Well, Paisley, when the shear-legs fell, striking a foreman mechanic, named Thomas Stewart, whose injuries were so severe that death ensued almost immediately. Deceased, who was thirty-six years of age, leaves a widow. 

– The Scotsman, Tuesday 6th August, 1901, p.4.


   Mishap Near Dundee West Station. – Yesterday morning an unfortunate accident occurred on the Caledonian Railway Company’s system near Dundee, whereby an engine and van were derailed. Early in the morning a mineral train arrived at Lochee from Gushetfaulds Depot, Glasgow, and shortly before eight the engine and van left Lochee for Dundee West Station. At Buckingham Junction, near the enginesheds at the Esplanade, the driver slowed down a little in order to go into the mineral yard, but on passing from the main down line on to the siding, the engine jumped the points. The engine and tender went off the rails, but the rear wheels of the van kept the line. After leaving the rails the engine travelled about 20 yards, causing considerable damage to the permanent way and twisting the rails, besides breaking several chairs. Mr James McNaughton, agent at the West Station, was communicated with, and was promptly on the scene. Although the main down line was blocked there was no serious delay, as the trains from Perth were run on the up line from Ninewells. A breakdown gang, under Mr Robert West, from the West Station, were soon on the spot, and set to work to get the engine and van on the line, while Mr John Keith, inspector of the permanent way, was also on the scene. Work continued the whole forenoon, and not until about twa o’clock was the engine again got on the rails and traffic resumed on the main down line. 

– Dundee Courier, Tuesday 6th August, 1901, p.3.


   Accident to a Surfaceman. – Yesterday George McLaggan, aged 66, a surfaceman on the North British Railway, who resides at Kettlebridge, was severely injured while at work near Ladybank Junction. The accident was caused by the train which leaves Ladybank for Kinross at 8.10 a.m. when shunting out of the siding at Ladybank Station to get on the Kinross Railway, and happened near the Heatherinch Signal Cabin. The train shunted slowly backwards. and it is believed that McLaggan’s attention was taken off it by a goods train that was passing to the south, and that he stepped too far back, and was struck by the footboard of the carriage and knocked down. Dr Mudie, Ladybank, was sent for, and after examination had the unfortunate man conveyed home to Kettlebridge, when it was found that he had received a severe injury to the spine and left kidney. 

– Dundee Courier, Tuesday 6th August, 1901, p.4.




   On Saturday evening a number of waggons of the goods train timed to arrive at Dufftown between five and six o’clock became detached from the main portion of the train at a point on the line near Parkmore siding, with the result that two of them became derailed, while one in crossing the Fiddich Bridge knocked the coping stones almost entirely off one side, throwing them into the valley below, a distance of 100 feet. The other waggon was tilted off the main line and was completely smashed. A breakdown gang arrived from Keith, and the line was cleared for traffic after a delay of two hours. Beyond the damage to the rolling stock and the bridge, there was no other mishap. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 7th August, 1901, p.5.



   A fatal accident of a very sad character came to light last Sunday morning, when the dead body of James Wyllie, postman, 32 years of age, was found on the line of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway some distance above Barrhead station. The deceased resided at Barshagra, near Gateside, and, as he is known to have been in the habit of going home along the line, it is thought that he was doing so on Saturday night when he was overtaken by an up-train and killed. The unfortunate man was in the post office in Main Street at 9 o’clock on Saturday night, and left with the intention of proceeding to the station where he expected to meet a friend. He was last seen about 10.30, and it is supposed must have gone on to the line about that time. An examination of the body showed that one of the arms had been wrenched from the socket and was almost severed at the shoulder, but otherwise there was practically no mark or wound, with the exception of a slight bruise on the face, sustained probably when the deceased had fallen. Dr Calderwood, who examined the body, was of opinion that death must have taken place within a few minutes after the accident. Deceased was a married man, and leaves a widow but no family. He was buried in Neilston cemetery on Wednesday, and the funeral was very largely attended by members of the post office staff and other friends. 

Barrhead News, Friday 9th August,1901, p.3.


   A SELKIRK WOMAN GIVES BIRTH TO A CHILD IN A RAILWAY CARRIAGE. – On Monday forenoon a most unusual event occurred at Galashiels Station, a young married woman from Selkirk giving birth to a child in a railway carriage there. The woman, along with her husband, had travelled with one of the forenoon trains from Edinburgh to Galashiels on her way home to Selkirk. She had changed carriages at Galashiels, and had, with her husband, taken a seat in one of the compartments of the train to Selkirk when the event occurred. A doctor was sent for, and after some delay the carriage which contained the woman was detached from the train and shunted to the opposite platform, and the mother was accommodated and properly attended to in one of the waiting rooms. The incident, which was the cause of a good deal of delay to the Selkirk train, created considerable stir in the station. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 15th August, 1901, p.2.


   KNOCKED DOWN BY A TRAIN. – On Thursday morning a surfaceman named Joseph Breslin was seriously injured at Queen Street Station, Glasgow. He was employed picking up pieces of paper from between the rails, and was knocked down by a passing train, one of the wheels passing over both legs. Breslin was at once removed to the Royal Infirmary, where it was found necessary to amputate the right leg. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 15th August, 1901, p.4.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Saturday evening, at Gilmour-street Station, while a farm servant named William Morrison, fifty-five years of age, residing at Gleddoch Farm, Bishopton, was waiting on a train, he fell on to the line in front of a goods train. Fortunately, he fell on to the four-feet way completely inside the rails, and the train passed over him. When he was picked up, it was found that he had escaped with a badly cut head. He was conveyed to the Police Office and examined by Dr. Walker, and afterwards removed to the Infirmary. 

– Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette, Saturday 17th August, 1901, p.4.


   ENGINEDRIVER KILLED ON HIGHLAND RAILWAY. – On Saturday forenoon, George Michie, enginedriver, fell off his engine when the train was at full speed, between Dunphail and Dava. There were two engines on the train and it is understood that he slipped when stepping from one to the other. He died shortly after the accident. Michie was a young man, and leaves a widow and child, who reside in Inverness. His brother is an enginedriver in the same service. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 19th August, 1901, p.4.


   FATAL ACCIDENT ON HIGHLAND RAILWAY. – A sad accident happened on Saturday. A surfaceman, named Macdonald, who was working near the viaduct about a mile and a-half beyond Dunphail Station, noticed something lying on the railway after the train had passed. On examining the object he found it to be the body of a man, and he at once conveyed the corpse to Dunphail railway station, where it was identified as George Begg Michie, engine-driver, Waterloo Place, Inverness. Dr. Hay, Forres, was soon in attendance, and said that death must have been instantaneous, the skull being fractured, and there being various other cuts about the head. Deceased had left in charge of the 11.18 passenger train, and had fallen off his engine. Deceased was only 27 years of age, and leaves a widow and one child. 

Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser, Tuesday 20th August, 1901, p.9.


   RUNAWAY RAILWAY CARRIAGES AT MANUEL. – What might have been a very serious accident occurred to the 8.52 P.M. passenger train for Bo’ness, while standing at Manuel Station on Tuesday night. The engine had taken yeast vans up on to the main line, and the carriages left behind at the usual platform glided out of the station just as the train from Edinburgh arrived. There were several passengers on the runaway train, including a woman with an infant, besides several children. As soon as the passengers realised the danger to which they were exposed, a good deal of excitement prevailed. Fortunately the “runaway” was observed by the signalman at Manuel, who, with great presence of mind, threw open the points. Otherwise the train must have gone down the incline leading to Bo’ness at a terrific speed, with serious consequences. by opening the points the two front carriages left the rails, and acted as buffer for the others, which were brought to a standstill. Fortunately these front compartments were unoccupied. the five or six passengers in the rear got a bad fright, but they were thankful that their train was so successfully stopped. A portion of the permanent way was torn up and the line blocked till an early hour the following morning. 

– The Scotsman, Friday 23rd August, 1901, p.4.


   AN INEBRIATE’S ADVENTURE. – On the arrival of the passenger train due at Dalkeith at 7.48 p.m. on Saturday night, the driver reported that a man was lying on the railway between Millerhill and Glenesk Junction. It was thought he had been knocked down by the engine. Two constables and a signalman from Glenesk Junction proceeded to the spot, and found the man lying at the side of the line guarded by a dog, which would not allow the constables to approach. It had first of all to be secured and the man was conveyed to Dalkeith police station. He was not hurt, but under the influence of drink. He had wandered on to the line at Millerhill Station. It is lucky that he escaped injury. He turned out to be a New Craighall miner named Robert Selkirk. 

Musselburgh News, Friday 23rd August, 1901, p.5.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT SALTCOATS. – On Saturday a gatekeeper who was station at the Canal Street level crossing of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway was struck by the buffer of the engine of a goods train, and so severely injured about the head that he died shortly afterwards. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 26th August, 1901, p.4.


   RAILWAY MISHAP NEAR KIRRIEMUIR. – Considerable detention to traffic was caused by an accident which befell the 6.7 P.M. train from Arbroath to Kirriemuir on Saturday evening. The train had reached to within a mile of its destination, when in going round a sharp curve the front wheels of the locomotive failed to hold the metals. Fortunately the speed was not great at the moment, and the train was immediately brought to a standstill. The passengers, including the Countess of Airlie, who was returning to Cortachy Castle after attending a public function at Arbroath, in which her ladyship presented copies of “The Muster Roll of Angus” to those from the county who had taken part in the war, proceeded on foot to the station. Little damage was done to the line, and the passengers suffered no inconvenience beyond the shaking. A breakdown gang proceeded to the scene from Forfar, but it was almost three hours before traffic could be resumed. 

   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT ARBROATH. – On Saturday evening James Lindsay, railway surfaceman, while on duty at St Vigean’s Junction, near Arbroath, was run over by a North British train and decapitated. He had stepped from one line on to another to avoid a passing train, and was evidently unaware that another train was coming in the opposite direction. The sad accident was seen from the signal-box, and from thence information of the occurrence was wired to the stationmaster, who had the shattered remains removed to the deceased’s house in [11] Russel Street. He was between forty and fifty years of age, and leaves a widow and four of a family, mostly grown up. Lindsay had only been in the employment of the railway company a few weeks. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 26th August, 1901, p.6.




   Last night while a pug engine was conveying home a number of navvies employed in constructing the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway it overturned near Lugton. Michael Burns (25), and James McCann (21), were killed instantaneously, while McCann’s brother, Michael (19) died from injuries sustained this morning. Other 17 men were slightly injured, but were able to proceed home. The new railway on which the accident occurred is being constructed to facilitate the traffic from the Lanarkshire coalfields to Ardrossan harbour. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 27th August, 1901, p.3.



   Shortly before one o’clock his afternoon, whilst a goods train on the Penicuik railway was between Auchendinny and Eskbridge Stations, the guard observed two of the waggons on fire. Each had for contents esparto grass for the paper mills in the vicinity. The waggons were uncoupled and run into a siding at Harpersbrae, and the fire brigade at Esk Mills was summoned to save the waggons from destruction. A spark from the locomotive is believed to have caused the fire. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 27th August, 1901, p.3.



   Three navvies have been killed and 17 injured by an accident on the new Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, between Barrhead and Lugton. It appears that about twenty of the contractor’s workmen were returning home on a pug engine, when the engine overturned at a curve in the line and fell down an embankment. All the men were thrown off. Two were instantly killed, their names being Michael Burns, 25, residing at Uplawmoor, and James McCann, 21, of Neilston. McCann’s brother Michael, 19, also died from his injuries. Another navvy was seriously injured, and the remaining 16 were scratched and bruised. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 28th August, 1901, p.8.


   This morning a railway surfaceman named James Brannigan, lodging at 15 Salisbury Street, Glasgow, was killed on the G. & S.-W. Railway near Eglinton Street Station. He was at work between the two sets of lines when an engine struck him on the back and knocked him down, the wheels passing over his head and body, and killing him instantaneously. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Thursday 29th August, 1901, p.3.


   ACCIDENT AT KYLE OF LOCHALSH. – At Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station on Friday last, a man named John Gunn, night watchman, met with severe burning injuries to his face and hands through an explosion caused by entering the gas house with a hand lamp. Fortunately Gunn’s eyes have escaped burning, and no serious results are anticipated. He was taken to the Dingwall Hospital. 

– Ross-shire Journal, Friday 30th August, 1901, p.5.



   Early this morning while an engine was passing Kinbuck a connecting rod snapped, throwing the engine off the rails. Some time elapsed before it could be repaired, and the North and South-going trains were worked on a single line. Fortunately no one was hurt. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Friday 30th August, 1901, p.5.


   RAILWAY GATEKEEPER KILLED AT SALTCOATS. – On Saturday evening Peter Craig, who kept the gates at Canal Street level-crossing of the Glasgow & South-Western Railway, was run down by a goods train and killed. Craig was crossing the line when a goods train from Ardrossan caught him. He was thrown forward, and the buffer struck him on the head as he fell in the four-feet way. His injuries were so severe that he died a few minutes after the accident. Craig was a long time stationed at this crossing. He leaves a wife and family. 

– Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Friday 30th August, 1901, p.5.




   Yesterday afternoon Thomas Anderson, goods guard, in the employment of the North British Railway Company, met with a severe accident at St Andrews. He had brought a cattle train from Leuchars Junction, and it was while engaged in shunting operations at the Links Station that the accident occurred. Anderson was seen to fall against a waggon, which evidently passed over his left arm, shattering it in a frightful manner. He was conveyed to the Cottage Hospital without delay, where it was found necessary to amputate the limb above the elbow. Anderson resides in Golf Place, and is well known. 

– Dundee Courier, Saturday 31st August, 1901, p.6.

Leave a Reply