July 1903

   RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – On Friday night, about seven o’clock, an accident occurred on the railway near the Industry Street bridge. A mineral train was coming past the Meiklehill siding when the engine left the rails at the south cross-over points. Fortunately the train was proceeding at a slow pace, and it was only the engine that left the metals. It is strongly suspected that the points had been tempered with, and there was some little evidence of that; otherwise the accident is unaccountable. The up line was blocked till half-past nine o’clock, at which hour the engine was replaced on the rails by the aid of the steam crane brought out from Cowlairs. The traffic had meanwhile been wrought on the single line between the station and Middlemuir. 

– Kirkintilloch Herald, Wednesday 1st July, 1903, p.4.




Two Men Killed.

   James Brown and Henry Owen, platelayers, were knocked down and killed by a train outside Carnarvon Station this morning. 

   Another account says:- A light engine dashed into some platelayers at work on the line. Two men were killed. They belonged to Bangor, and both were married men with families. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Friday 3rd July, 1903, p.5.


   STARTLING ACCIDENT NEAR DUNDEE. – An accident, which, but for the promptitude of the driver, would undoubtedly have had serious if not fatal results, occurred on Saturday afternoon on the railway line between Dundee and Perth. A picnic party from Dundee were enjoying themselves at Ninewells, a range of cliffs about a mile to the west of Dundee, when one of the number, a woman, ventured too near the edge of the incline, and slipped down on to the railway line. The woman, stunned by the fall, was unable to rise, and just at the time of the accident the 4.5 train from Dundee to Perth was approaching. The engine-driver fortunately observed the prostrate figure in the four-foot way, and applying the brakes vigorously, was able to bring the train to a standstill close upon the spot where the woman was. Beyond a severe bruise on the head, the woman was otherwise uninjured, although the passengers in the train were under the belief that she had been knocked down by the engine and killed. 

– The Scotsman, Monday 6th July, 1903, p.7.



   On Saturday morning George Smith (19), railway porter, residing in Station Buildings, Burghead, was seriously injured in the goods yard there while engaged in shunting operations. Several waggons passed over his legs, and he was dragged 30 or 40 yards along the permanent way. He was badly crushed, especially on the left leg. He was removed with all speed to Gray’s Hospital, Elgin, after being seen by Dr Monro, Burghead. In the hospital it was found necessary to amputate the left leg. Part of the right foot had also to be amputated. Despite his injuries, Smith was progressing favourably on Saturday night. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Monday 6th July, 1903, p.4.


   RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT BALLOCH. – A collision occurred on the Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line at Balloch Pier about nine o’clock last night. A goods engine was being shunted, but as the points were not connected in time the engine crashed into two empty carriages which were lying on the line. The carriages were derailed and badly shattered. The accident caused a delay in the traffic for some time. 

– The Scotsman, Wednesday 8th July, 1903, p.8.


   KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – William Petrie (40), railway shunter, who resided at 173 Auchentochan, Springburn. was early yesterday morning killed at his employment at Sighthill railway goods depot. He was engaged in shunting operations, and was knocked down by an engine. 

– The Scotsman, Thursday 9th July, 1903, p.4.


   SHOCKING RAILWAY FATALITY. – A young man, James Kidd, waggons examiner, Lumley Street, Grangemouth, died in Falkirk Cottage Hospital on Friday from the effects of injuries received on the railway at Grahamston. He was found on the four-foot way with his legs across the rails, and almost severed from the body. The limbs were amputated in the hospital, but he expired shortly after. 

   RAILWAYMAN KILLED AT CARSTAIRS. – A fatal railway accident took place at Carstairs Junction on Friday, by which John Cooper, brakesman, lost his life. Deceased was engaged coupling his van to a train of waggons, and the engine-driver of the train being surprised at receiving no signal, went to the rear of the train, and found Cooper lying lifeless on the six-foot way, having been apparently smashed between the van and waggon buffers. 

   A SIGNAL FITTER KILLED. – On Saturday afternoon, while Hugh McNaughton, a young unmarried man, employed as a signal fitter on the Caledonian Railway at Stirling, was walking along the line from the south signal cabin to the workshops, he failed to hear the approach of a train from Glasgow to Oban, which was coming up behind him, and stepping in front of it, he was knocked down and killed almost instantaneously, having been struck on the back of the head. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 9th July, 1903, p.4.


   Railwayman’s Shocking Death. – William Peattie, a railway shunter, in the employment of the N.B. Company, and who was well known in Montrose, where he worked as a goods guard and yardsman for some years, was killed yesterday morning at Sighthill Goods Station, Glasgow. He was about to couple a moving waggon, when he was knocked down, and a wheel passing over his head, it was crushed into pulp. Deceased was middle-aged, and he leaves a widow and family, who reside in Wharf Street. 

– Dundee Courier, Thursday 9th July, 1903, p.4.








Serious Detention to Traffic.

   A railway accident of a disquieting character occurred at Stanley, on the Highland Railway, between nine and ten o’clock this morning, involving serious damage to a goods train and the permanent way, besides causing a great amount of inconvenience to the travelling public. While a goods train from Aviemore was proceeding towards Perth, and just at the point where the Highland joins the Caledonian system at Stanley station, several of the waggons left the metals. As the train was proceeding at a fair rate of speed, the permanent way was badly cut up. Ere the heavy train could be brought to a standstill both sets of rails were completely blocked. Information of the mishap was at once wired to Perth, and Mr J. D. Lang, the district superintendent of the Caledonian Railway, along with Mr Prentice, the locomotive foreman, and a breakdown squad, left by special breakdown train for the scene at once. 

   The fact that both sets of rails were blocked precluded all the trains proceeding northwards, and, as the passenger traffic is unusually heavy on Saturday morning the inconvenience and discomfort caused was great. 

   The officials at Perth did their utmost, and the 9.15 a.m. express from the South to Aberdeen was despatched via Dundee. At half-past eleven the 9.25 Highland train from Perth was still standing at Strathord unable to proceed, and passengers on the local trains to Blairgowrie, Coupar, Angus, Aberdeen, and intermediate stations had to be transferred on to another train at Stanley on the east side of the smash. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Saturday 11th July, 1903, p.4.




Accident at Inverkeithing Station.

   On Saturday night Catherine Young, a domestic servant, employed at Seafield Farm, St David, met with an accident at Inverkeithing Railway Station. She was travelling with the 9.40 train from Dunfermline. While the train steamed into Inverkeithing Station, she was leaning against the carriage door, which suddenly opened. She fell on to the platform, alighting on her head, and sustained somewhat serious injuries. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Monday 13th July, 1903, p.4.




Traffic Delayed.

   This foreman a serious railway smash occurred at Aberdeen joint passenger station, resulting in considerable damage to several Caledonian carriages. A train was being backed out of the station, when the front carriages jumped the points and fouled the engine at the crossing. The two leading carriages were telescoped. The goods van at the other end of the train was considerably damaged, while one of the buffers of the engine was smashed. The accident caused a delay of over half an hour. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Monday 13th July, 1903, p.5. 



   A shocking fatality occurred on the Caledonian Railway at Dundee this afternoon. A man whose name is unknown threw himself in front of the express from Perth, and was cut in two. As the train approached, the driver saw him sitting on the signal wires, and he was seen about the line by two other persons. The feet and lower part of the trunk were caught in the signal wires, but the head and the rest of the body were carried about 20 yards away. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 14th July, 1903, p.3.


   The recklessness of some folks who frequent railway stations is positively amazing. At Broughty Ferry last night an incident occurred which for a time created the greatest alarm amongst the railway officials and the public. 

   Shortly before seven o’clock a goods train was approaching Broughty Ferry from the east. It had almost reached the station when a young gentleman, despite the warnings addressed to him by several bystanders, started to cross the rails from the south side. 

   On seeing the dangerous position in which the foolhardy youth was about to place himself the driver shut off steam and applied his brake, with the result that the buffer of the engine just missed the young man’s shoulder. 

   Here a fresh danger presented itself. A passenger train from Dundee had meantime steamed into the station, and the youth now found himself sandwiched between the two trains. 

   Until the goods train had passed the greatest excitement prevailed in the station, but happily the young man had managed to stand erect in the narrow way, and now left his perilous position for safer quarters. 

   His was indeed a providential escape, and it is to be hoped that he will have more sense than place himself in such a tight corner again. 

   A railwayman informs me that incidents of this kind are becoming quite common on the Joint Line. the other week one occurred at Carnoustie. 

   In crossing the railway line a fishwife had misjudged the distance between herself and an approaching train, which struck the creel she carried on her back. 

   The impact threw the lady to the ground, and scattered her burden of fish to the four winds of heaven. 

   To say that the lady was ungrateful for her miraculous escape would be incorrect, but to suggest that she was pleased at her fish being strewn around would be still farther from the truth. 

   After collecting herself she gathered up the “harvest of the sea,” and went on her way, bemoaning the fact that by such rough usage the market value of the “haddies” had deteriorated. 

   Cautious people, even though pressed for time, will use the bridges provided by the Railway Company for the purpose of crossing. In escaping mutilation the time thus occupied is surely well spent. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Wednesday 15th July, 1903, p.2.







   One of the most determined and melancholy cases of suicide which have occurred in Dundee for some time took place on the Caledonian Railway at Dundee yesterday, when a man named Andrew O’Brien, residing in Lowden’s Alley, threw himself before an express train, and was cut to pieces. 

   The tragedy took place at the distant signal about 200 yards west from the Magdalen Green Station. It appears that shortly before the approach of the 11.54 train from Perth a man was seen standing in a crouched position beside the signal. Immediately afterwards the train rounded the corner, and several bystanders were horrified to see the body of the man tossed in the air above the engine. When the train had passed a shocking spectacle met the gaze. The body of the unfortunate man was hacked in two pieces, which lay at either side of the rails, while the features were battered to a pulp, and bloods strewed the line. 


   The body, it was discovered, had been carried a distance of about forty yards by the engine. Meanwhile the train passed on, and on entering the platform the passengers beheld a shocking spectacle. Sticking to the engine were pieces of flesh and clothing, while the wheels of the engine were covered with blood. the body of the man was brought to the waiting-room at the station, and from thence to the mortuary. In the pocket was a pawn ticket in deceased’s own name, and another in the name of a man living in the same locality. O’Brien, who was twenty-nine years of age, leaves a young wife. 

– Dundee Courier, Wednesday 15th July, 1903, p.4.




Alarming Accident Near Forfar.

   Early this morning an accident of a distressing nature occurred just outside Forfar Railway Station, whereby a young boy named William Molyneux, 3½ years of age, son of John Molyneux, lead worker, Skene Square, Aberdeen, met with injuries of a very serious nature. It appears that Mr and Mrs Molyneux along with their family consisting of other two lads older than the injured boy, left Aberdeen between five and six o’clock this morning with an excursion train for Glasgow. Forfar Station was passed without stopping about seven o’clock, and when almost one mile beyond, the door of the compartment, which had an inside handle, somehow or other suddenly got open, and the boy, who was at that time close by, was, to the astonishment of his parents, seen to swing out, clinging to the handle. He remained in this position for a moment, but the jerk of the train caused him to loose his hold, and he was precipitated from the fast moving train on to the outside set of rails. Steps were at once taken, and the train drew up some distance away from the scene of the accident. The father of the unfortunate boy at once went back to his son’s aid, but in the interval the fast postal train for the west passed from the opposite direction, and by this time word of what had happened was conveyed to the Station officials at Forfar and the ambulance party was immediately sent out. When found by his father the boy presented a painful spectacle, his head being severely smashed. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 18th July, 1903, p.5.


   ACCIDENT AT THE GOODS STATION. – On Wednesday, while several of the employees of Messrs James Reid & Son, carting contractors, were engaged transferring logs from a railway waggon to a log truck, one of the logs slipped or broke from the chain of the crane, and fell on George Scott, the foreman, seriously injuring him about the head. Scott, who was rendered unconscious by the blow, was removed to his home, and his injuries, which turned out to be very serious, were attended to by Dr Davidson, who found he was suffering from concussion of the brain. 

Peterhead Sentinel and General Advertiser for Buchan District, Saturday 18th July, 1903, p.4.


   SERIOUS ACCIDENT. – On Saturday night a woman named Mrs Main, who resides at 29 Melville Drive, Motherwell, had a narrow escape with her life at  Motherwell Railway Station. She stepped out of a late train from Wishaw before it had stopped, and fell between the platform and the carriage, sustaining fractured ribs and severe internal injuries. The foot board had to be sawn off before she could be extricated from her perilous position. 

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, Saturday 18th July, 1903, p.6.



   What appears to have been a case of attempted suicide occurred on Saturday on the Deeside Railway. A woman, who was afterwards discovered to be Mrs Hay, 275 Hardgate, Aberdeen, was observed sitting by the embankment on the Deeside Railway between Ruthrieston and Pitfodels suburban station. As a train approached towards Aberdeen, the woman was seen to throw herself in front of it. She was struck by the engine and knocked down on the railway. It was generally believed that she had been killed, but on assistance being sent, it was discovered that she had simply been injured. She was conveyed to Aberdeen at 11.35, and taken in the railway ambulance, under the charge of Mr Robert Duguid, stationmaster, to the Royal Infirmary, where, after her wounds were dressed, she was removed to the Royal Lunatic Asylum. It was found that the woman had sustained a cut on her head, but, apart from this there was no injury. In view of the fact that the train was running at a rapid rate, the woman’s escape is marvellous. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Monday 20th July, 1903, p.4.


   A boy, aged six, named Hynds, whose parents reside at Motherwell, was thrown out of the window of a fast passenger train on the Caledonian Railway, near Newton, on Saturday, and instantaneously killed. 

– Strathearn Herald, Saturday 25th July, 1903, p.3.













   An appalling holiday disaster occurred this morning, involving terrible loss of life and injury to many persons. 

   The scene of the catastrophe was St Enoch’s Station, Glasgow, the terminus of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway, and one of the busiest stations in Scotland. 

   The platforms were busy this morning with business people and returning holiday-makers when the disaster occurred. 

   The cause is yet unexplained. 

   The “Isle of Man Express,” a very fast train which conveys passengers from Ardrossan who have arrived by the Manx steamer, was due, and was seen sweeping towards the station at a faster pace than usual. Onlookers, however, did not at first suspect that anything was wrong. 

   But in a moment it was apparent that either the brakes had refused to work, or that the driver lost control. On swept the train, its speed unabated until it dashed into the stop-blocks at the end of the platform. 

   Instantly there was a scene of wildest confusion, but as quickly as possible assistance was procured, and the work of rescue – and terrible work it proved – was begun. 

   The engine and two carriages had been telescoped, and from the mass of wreckage the dead, dying, and wounded were with difficulty extricated. 

   By about ten o’clock the bodies of eight men, three women, and two children had been recovered, while the number of injured was great, for the train was a well-filled one. 

   Already 14 people have been removed to the Hospital, and the work of succour is still going on. 










GLASGOW, Eleven o’Clock.

   A terrible accident occurred at No. 7 Platform, St Enoch Station, Glasgow, this morning. A special Isle of Man express from Ardrossan came into the station about eight o’clock, and before the brakes could act the engine dashed into the buffers at the end of the platform. the first two carriages, which were full of passengers, were smashed, and eleven passengers were killed, while two have since died in hospital. About a score of passengers have been injured. 

   The train consisted of 11 carriages (four first class, seven third class) and a van. The two third class carriages in the front of the train were the ones which suffered, and the second of them contained the passengers most seriously injured. The bodies of six men, five woman, and two children have up till now been taken from the wreckage. 


   Among the killed are:- 

  Robert James, 25 years of age, 47 Oswald Street, Glasgow. 

   Marion James (32), a sister, residing at the same address. 

   George Darroch (35), Byars Road, Glasgow. 

   William Hunter (42), 14 Cadogan Street, Glasgow. 

   Several of the bodies have not yet been identified. 

The Injured.

   Among the injured are:- 

   Samuel Knox (44), 323 Stirling Road, Glasgow. 

   Mathilda Bruce or Knox, 323 Stirling Road, Glasgow. 

   Elizabeth Brown (43), 38 King Street, Glasgow. 

   Robert Pirie (25), 740 Rutherglen Road, Glasgow. 

   Robert Anderson, 11 High Street, Springburn. 

   Robert Scott Shaw, Coatbridge. 






   Telegraphing at 12.30, our correspondent says: – The excursion train was usually run into platform No. 9, but a change was made, and it is supposed that the driver, presuming that he was running into the latter, kept on a considerable way, with the result that there was a collision with the buffers with tremendous force, smashing the platform, telescoping the two front carriages, and killing 13 people and injuring a number of which is now estimated at about 50 or more. At the sound of the collision, which banged through the entire station, the officials and travellers in the vicinity rushed to the scene. They saw an appalling sight. The passengers in the heavily laden train who had recovered from their first shock hurried to the front portion of the train, where death had been dealt with such terrible profusion. At once a willing band of workers set to extricate the unfortunate beings who were wedged in the broken carriages. Messages were sent in all directions, including the carious police stations, for medical assistance. Many of the passengers were found 

Beyond All Human Help,

not a few having had a mercifully speedy death at the first impact. Most heartrending it was to see two little children – a boy and a girl – among the corpses, those who handled them not knowing whether their parents were dead or alive. How it comes that so many women happen to be among the killed seems at the moment quite inexplicable, but there are no fewer than six among the number. Five men complete the list of killed. It is impossible, however, to say how seriously the injured have been wounded, and it is not without the bounds of possibility that the fatal list may be further augmented. It would be impossible to describe the horror of the scene. The passengers, returning joyfully from their holidays, were busily engaged gathering their traps together. Suddenly a tremendous shock of the impact, dealing damage to the platform instead of sustaining any, and the first carriage, protected by it, also remained on it bogey. But the second carriage, unprotected by and of less powerful resistance that the engine, crashed through the first carriage, and raising itself high, telescoped it almost half of its entire length. the driver, named Norfolk, and the guard, named McCallum, escaped uninjured with their engine. When the unfortunate driver saw the scene of devastation and death which had been caused 

He Broke Down Utterly.

The injured having been attended to in temporary fashion and sent off for treatment, the dead were removed to the first class waiting-room on Platform No. 1. By this time a large number of police were on the ground keeping order. 

   The identification of the bodies at St Enoch’s Station proceeded slowly since news of the accident takes time to travel, and it is quite possible that some of the  

Dead Belong to Towns Outside Glasgow.

There are marks in several cases that would be almost sufficient to lead to the identification, but due care is being exercised, and no identification is announced till it is complete. There is of course the greatest curiosity on the part of the public to visit the scene of the disaster, but a strong guard of police keeps the curiosity-monger at bay, and only those with business in the vicinity are allowed to near the spot. For a little distance the platform has been torn up, the planks of wood being badly broken. It is quite easy from the situation of the two front carriages to see how human life had suffered so greatly. Two carriages lie interlocked with each other. The first has stood stationary, but the second has forced itself half way through the other, and lies high off the bogey. But for a small portion at the back the second carriage has been smashed practically to atoms. A litter of broken wood lies in the neighbourhood. In the carriages springs have been laid bare, cushions are torn, the roofs are broken to fragments, and scarcely any of the glass is whole. 



   Jeanie Ewart. Address unknown. 

   Mary Duff, 3 Bell Street, Calton. 





   Mr Gilmour, stationmaster at St Enoch’s in the course of a brief and naturally guarded statement to the “Evening Telegraph” reporter, said the driver of the ill-fate train – Henry Northcott; was well acquainted with the platforms and signalling arrangements at the station, and had driven trains from Ardrossan for a number of years. Northcott, it is said, declared that the cause of the accident was failure of his brake. It is now stated that 15 persons have been killed. 





GLASGOW, 11.30.

   The Central News Glasgow correspondent telegraphs:- A terrible railway disaster occurred at St Enoch’s Station this morning. A train carrying a large number of excursionists was returning from the Isle of Man, and when running into the station did not slow up soon enough and dashed into the buffers with immense force. the engine and the two leading coaches were badly damaged. Eleven passengers in the leading coach were killed. The victims include a whole family. Twenty other passengers were more or less seriously injured. 

Twelve o’clock.

   Two  more of the injured have succumbed making 13 deaths. 

   The train was filled with happy holiday-makers who had returned from a week or a fortnight’s stay in the Isle of Man. Many of the poor victims are well bronzed with the sun and the sight of these, many of them little children, crying in agony the moment after the accident, tried the feelings of the onlookers to the highest degree. Many of them went at the awful sight. Doctors were hastily summoned and all the officials at the station devoted their energies to taking out the dead and the maimed passengers. 

The Spectacle was Heartrending and Sickening.

Some were removed minus their limbs, and all the dead were shockingly mutilated. Ten were killed on the spot, and of the injured some were so shockingly hurt that very little hope was entertained of their recovery. All the wounded have been conveyed to the Infirmary. 

   A full list of the dead and injured will be issued officially later. 


   The train which met with the disaster at St Enoch’s Station this morning was a special train from Ardrossan packed with a large number of holidaymakers, who were going home from the Isle of Man, and who had landed at the port from the Isle of Man Steam Packet. the train, which was very heavily freighted was due at St Enoch’s at eight o’clock that morning. Everything went well until they reached St Enoch’s Station. It was being brought up alongside No. 8 platform, and the passengers were preparing to alight, many of them standing on their feet and taking their wraps and bags in their hands. Instead of pulling up as the passengers had anticipated, the engine ran with great force into the buffers at the end of the platform. A terrible and most indescribable scene ensued. the passengers who were standing were overthrown many being dashed with force against the woodwork of the carriages. The first two coaches were telescoped, and these, unfortunately, were well filled with passengers. 


   On inquiry at Perth Station this forenoon we were informed that the smash had caused no dislocation of traffic so far as Perth was concerned. Owing to a number of Perth people being on holiday at the Isle of Man considerable anxiety prevails. 





GLASGOW, One o’clock.

No other victims have yet been identified. Four of the dead – a man, a woman, a boy, and a girl – are believed to form a whole family. The locomotive shows no sign of damage, despite the force with which it struck the stops. 







GLASGOW, Eleven o’Clock.

   The Press Association’s Glasgow correspondent wires:- 

   This morning an excursion train of ten carriages with a brake van from Ardrossan crowded with excursionists from the Isle of Man was entering St Enoch’s Station when the driver, unaware that his train was looped on to one of the short platforms, did not reduce speed, with the result that the train crashed into the buffers. 

   The two foremost third-class carriages were smashed. The greatest excitement ensued. The injured called out for assistance, and passengers who were unhurt alighted and quickly went to the rescue. It was soon found that the accident was of a most serious description, for in a short space of time 13 dead were taken out. Some had literally to be 

Cut from Amongst the Debris.

  Eight women, three men, and two children were removed to the waiting-room, but up to eleven o’clock only two bodies had been identified – namely, those of 

   Robert James (35), of 48 Oswald Street, Glasgow, and his sister Marian (32). 

   Ambulances were telephoned for, and fifteen injured persons were removed to the Infirmary, suffering principally from compound fractures and injuries to the skull and back. the injured and dead mostly belong to the working class, and the train was unusually heavy, as it brought back the last of the Glasgow Fair holidayseekers. 

The Dead as They Lie

in the waiting-room present a sad spectacle. reposing apart from the group of men and women are a boy and a girl of 13 years of age or less. Many persons have been admitted to try to identify the dead, and have turned away relieved upon not finding their relatives or friends. By eleven o’clock much of the debris had been cleared. The engine of the train escaped with little or no damage. the whole of the damage to the train was confined to the two foremost carriages. The list of injured is not yet available, but it is stated that the following were among those removed to the Infirmary:- 

[The article ends without providing said list.]

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Monday 27th July, 1903, pp.4 & 5.






Highland Train Run Into.

  A railway mishap of a rather alarming nature, but which fortunately was attended with very slight damage, occurred near Perth General Station on Saturday night. 

   It appears that about eleven o’clock a goods train was passing through Moncreiffe Tunnel, when, by some mistake, a number of Highland carriages attached to an engine were standing on the same line at the mouth of the tunnel. It being dark, the driver of the goods train failed to notice the carriages standing in front, and consequently his train, which was not going at a very high rate of speed, ran into the carriages. The damage, as stated, was slight. 

   The railway officials are very reticent in regard to the matter. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Monday 27th July, 1903, p.3.










   A terrible accident occurred on Monday morning at St Enoch station, the Glasgow terminus of the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company, by which 13 persons were killed on the spot, one has since died, and 25 passengers were more or less severely injured… 


   The following is a list of the killed and injured:- 


   Robert James (35), 47 Oswald Street, and his sister, Marion James (32). 

   William Hunter (40), painter, 14 Cadogan Street, Glasgow. 

   George E. Darroch (35), draughtsman, Byres Road, Glasgow. 

   Jeannie Ewart (24), clerkess, address unknown. 

   Mary Duff (27), tailoress, Bell Street, Calton. 

   Alexander Knutt, tailor, Butterbiggins Road, Govanhill. 

   John L. Wilson (29), mine manager, Kilsyth. 

   Hannah Patterson (24), 100 Watt Street. 

   Charles Wilson (39), packer, 29 Simpson Street. 

   Mary Campbell or Wilson (39), wife of above. 

   Charles and Mary Wilson (4 and 7 years of age respectively), children of above. 

   Jeannie McEwan, address unknown. 


   A later telegram says:- Bella Carmichael, one of those injured, died in the Royal Infirmary last night. This makes the fifteenth death. the other patients are progressing favourably. 


  John Thomson (21), 127 Comely Park Street – compound fracture left leg. 

   William Turnbull (22), 27 Richmond Terrace, Aberdeen – compound fracture left leg. 

   Edward Archard (39), 187 Comely Park Street – both legs fractured, right compound and left comminuted. 

   James Revie (19), 13 Auchentorlie Street, Partick – scalp wounds and comminuted fracture of left leg. 

   George Kennett (29), 19 Rupert Street – scalp wound and shock. 

   Robert Anderson (23), 11 Hill Street, Springburn – general bruises and shock. 

   William Smith (50), c/o Ross, 40 Cowcaddens – scalp wounds and general bruising. 

   John Smith(45), brother of above William Smith, 51 Montgomerie Street, Kelvinside – lacerated wound of head. 

   Duncan Darroch (25)m 31 Sussex Street – bruises of both legs. 

   Peter Seaton (7), 22 Merkland Street, Partick – lacerated scalp wound. 

   John Scott Shaw (27), 13 Torrisdale Street, Coatbridge – fracture of the right thigh. 

   Bella Carmichael (31), 72 Napiershall Street – compound fracture of both thighs and compound fracture of right arm. 

   Bella Wilson (19), 29 Simpson Street – fractured leg and bruises. 

   Mrs Hisson (31), 5 Humpden Street – bruises on legs. 

   Mrs Darroch (21), wife of the above Duncan Darroch, 31 Sussex Street – bruised legs. 

   George Priestley (29), Glenview, Paisley – bruised body and arms. 

   William Gifford (25), 21 Clark Street, Airdrie – compound fracture right leg, simple fracture left leg, and scalp wound. 

   Samuel Knox (44), 325 Stirling Road – injuries to back; and 

   Matilda Knox, his wife (40) – severely injured about the head. 

   Elizabeth O’Brien (42), shop assistant, 48 King Street – injuries to left side and back. 

   Robert Prince (25), 740 Rutherglen Road. 

   Thomas McKenzie (28), 49 Springbank. 

   George Nutt (21), 152 Butterbiggins Road. 

   Elizabeth Hudson (26), 39½ Pollock Street, Pollockshaws. 

   J. F. Straw, Blairhill, Coatbridge.

   James Brown, 702 Gallowgate – flesh wound on left leg and left eye. 

   Alexander Wood, 21 Deer Park, Tollcross – spine injured and cut on left side of head. 


   The doctors state that the most serious of the remaining cases is that of George Kennett, a Glasgow architect, who is suffering from shock. The others are progressing. James Hesson was able to be sent home, but his wife is still detained in the infirmary. 


   Immediately after the collision two police officers took the driver of the engine, henry Northcote, into custody, and conveyed him to the Central Police Office, where he is meantime detained pending inquiry. It is said that his statement is that the brake of the locomotive failed to act in time. As stated elsewhere, Northcote is 35 years of age, and resides at 2 Paisley Street, Ardrossan. It is understood that he has been 14 years in the company’s service. When the driver saw the scene of devastation and death he broke down utterly and wept, and, it is stated, expressed a fervent wish that he himself had been among the killed. 


   Samuel McShea, who was covered with blood but escaped with a scratch, states that he was in a smoking compartment of the second carriage when the crash came. the door flew open, and he was thrown on to the platform, but for which he must have been killed. He at once assisted in the rescue of those who were penned in, and brandy and water was poured down the throats of the injured who could not be immediately freed. 


   The Glasgow Royal Infirmary, whither the injured were taken, has been the scene of many sad spectacles. A representative of the Press Association was conducted through the various wards by Dr Thom. On one bed lay a poor fellow with one of his legs already amputated, and suffering from other injuries. He appeared to be sensible, but to be suffering from inexpressible pain. In another bed lay a woman suffering from compound fractures of both legs. Another sufferer was moaning for water, and all received most sympathetic attention in order that their pain might be relieved as much as possible. 


   No further deaths have occurred in connection with the Glasgow railway smash, the death roll remaining at fifteen; and all the injured at the infirmary are reported to be out of danger. George Kenneth, whose case gave the most concern, is also improving. 

   Henry Northcote, the engine-driver, appeared at Glasgow Police Court yesterday, and was remanded for two days. He appeared most dejected. 


   It transpires that one elderly man, after being released from the wreckage on Monday was cheered by a kindly policeman, who said he appeared to be better off than many. The man smiled, and suggested that others should be attended to first, and then almost immediately expired. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 29th July, 1903, p.8.





   Colonel Yorke, on behalf of the Board of Trade, to-day held an inquiry into the circumstances attended the disaster at St Enoch Railway Station on Monday. One of the witnesses examined was Henry Northcote, driver of the engine of the ill-fated train, who is out on bail. The platform and rails at which the accident occurred as well as the engine and wrecked carriages, were carefully inspected. The inquiry was conducted in private. 

   Some sad scenes were witnessed to-day when the funeral of several of the victims took place. There were few dry eyes in the large crowd which witnessed the bodies of Mr and Mrs Wilson being placed in one hearse, and two little coffins containing the bodies of their children in a second. The funeral of William Hunter, painter, also took place to-day, and the remainder of the bodies will be interred to-morrow. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Wednesday 29th July, 1903, p.3.




   SIR, – The cause of railway accidents are generally very simple. Neither is it the speed alone that brings about disastrous effects to life, which was clearly proved in the case of the late Cupar Angus accident, where the speed was over 50 miles an hour, yet no passengers received injuries to prevent them continuing their journey; in fact, the passengers in the rear portion did not know that any accident had occurred. This was due to the fortunate circumstance that the engine swerved to the side, entirely out of the line of motion, thus allowing the train to proceed amongst the debris until it got time to stop. Should the buffer stop have given way in the case of St Enoch’s, doubtless there would have been no collapse of the carriages and no loss of nor injury to life. Buffer stops are all right so far as to mark the end or to resist the stroke of shunting operations, but they should give way to the deadweight of a locomotive, and there should be a clear space ahead to allow the engine to embed itself on “terra firma.” – I am, &c., 


– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Thursday 30th July, 1903, p.4.


   In endeavouring to push a passenger into a carriage at Hamilton Station, N.B., Police-sergeant George Gibson dropped dead from heart failure. 

– Northern Times and Weekly Journal for Sutherland and the North, Thursday 30th July, 1903, p.6.


  CHILD FATALLY INJURED ON THE RAILWAY. – Last Thursday Mary McCabe, the two-year-old daughter of Mr John McCabe, Carnie Cottage, Millerhill, wandered on to the main line of the Waverley route between Millerhill and Niddrie. She was knocked down by the mid-day train from Galashiels and very severely bruised about the head and body. the child was taken home and medical aid procured, but she succumbed to her injuries on Tuesday. 

– Dalkeith Advertiser, Thursday 30th July, 1903, p.3.

Leave a Reply