[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]
COATBRIDGE, a village in the parish of Old Monkland, 2½ miles west of Airdrie, on the Monkland canal. Population, in 1831, 741. Inhabited houses 107. – The following statement serves to show the astonishing increase in the price of landed property, in the vicinity of Coatbridge, which is mainly to be attributed to the extension of the iron trade in that nourishing neighbourhood. Some years ago, the father of Mr. R. C. Buchanan, the present proprietor of Drumpeller estate, purchased the lands of Dundyvan, of some 50 acres in extent, for about £3,500. In the year 1833, the Dundyvan Iron company feud part of them from Mr. Buchanan, for which they pay upwards of £200 yearly feu-duty; and Mr. John Wilson, now sole proprietor of Dundyvan Iron works has purchased another part of them, for which he pays £14,000. In addition to this, the Monkland Canal company feued part of the property, which, taken in connection with other feus to smaller holders, has raised the value of the whole to somewhere about £22,000.