BALLOCHNEY RAILWAY. This is an extension of one of the branches of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway, or rather a prolongation of that railway, by two arms which run into the interior of New Monkland parish, so as to embrace the coal and iron-stone works in the rich mining districts on both sides of Airdrie. The company of proprietors was incorporated in 1826 by 7° Geo. IV. c. 48. The original capital was £18,000, which was increased, in 1835, to £28,000; and by an act passed in July 1839, to £70,000. It commences at Kipps colliery, about 2 miles west of Airdrie, runs from thence in an easterly direction, and passing Airdrie about a quarter of a-mile to the north, terminates at Ballochney colliery, about 3 miles to the north-east, sending out in its course several branches to the town and to the different collieries. This is but a short railway, not exceeding 3 miles of length in the main line, and about as much in the branches; but it is remarkable for two beautiful self-acting inclined planes, which form part of the line, and are the first of the kind that have been constructed in Scotland on any great scale. The gravity of the ascending and descending trains of waggons, are nicely balanced against each other, and their velocities regulated throughout the different parts of the line by varying slightly the inclination of the plane from top to bottom, by which means undue acceleration is prevented. The Ballochney lower inclined plane is 1,100 yards in length, and rises 118 feet perpendicular; the inclination varies from 1 in 22 at the top to 1 in 32 at the bottom; the upper inclined plane is also 1,100 yards in length, and rises 94 feet perpendicular, varying in inclination from 1 in 25 at the top to 1 in 36 at the bottom.