[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]
WILLIAM (FORT), a fortress on the east side of Loch-Eil, overhung by Ben-Nevis, near the south-west end of the great glen, Inverness-shire. It stands contiguous to the village of MARYBURGH: which see. It was originally built by General Monk, during the time of Cromwell; took from an ancient castle in the vicinity the name of the garrison of Inverlochy; and had accommodations for about 2,000 men. But the original structure was chiefly earth-built, and altogether of a temporary character. The present fort was built on a smaller scale, with stone and lime, in the reign of William III., and took its name from that monarch. It is an irregular work of a triangular form, with two bastions mounting 15 twelve-pounders; and is defended by a ditch, glacis, and ravelin. It contains a bomb-proof magazine; and accommodations for 2 field-officers, 2 captains, 4 subalterns, and 96 privates. It withstood a siege of 5 weeks in 1745; yet cannot be regarded as a place of much strength.
6 thoughts on “William (Fort), p.817.”