Augustus (Fort), p.78.

[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]

   AUGUSTUS (FORT), is situated on a small triangular plain, at the western extremity of Loch Ness, in the parish of Boleskine, Inverness-shire; 13 miles north of Garviemore-inn; 32¼ south-west of Inverness; 29 north-east of Fort-William; 5¼ miles from the north-east end of Loch Oich; and 144 from Edinburgh. It was erected on a part of the forfeited estate of Lord Lovat in 1729, and is a regular fortification, with 4 bastions, defended by a ditch, covert-way, and glacis, and barracks capable of accommodating 300 soldiers. It was until late years garrisoned by a company of soldiers, and supplied with provisions from Inverness; but the guns have been removed to Fort-George, and there are only a few soldiers stationed here. The fortifications are in good repair; but as the whole is commanded from the neighbouring hills on every side, it is by no means, capable of long resistance. It is a neat-looking place; the surrounding plantations, and the rivers Tarffe and Oich which run by it, give it very much the appearance of an English country-seat. “Looking down from the glacis,” says Miss Spence, “the eye commands the whole length of the lake, 24 miles. On the south side, bordered by lofty and precipitous rocks as far as the eye reaches, without any interruption except the hanging gardens of Glendoe. On the north, a softer and more varied prospect forms a happy contrast to the rude grandeur of Suidh Chuiman, and the dark heights of Stratherick. Verdant bays retire from the view; wooded heights gently rising, and peopled glens of the most pastoral description, intervene, – each divided by its blue narrow stream pouring in to augment the abundance of the lake. This last, in calm weather, holds a most beautiful and clear mirror to its lofty and varied borders. In wintry storms its agitations ‘resemble Ocean into tempest wrought.’ The eddying winds, which rush with inconceivable fury down the narrow opening in the hills, make navigation dangerous from their violence and uncertainty. The east wind – which sometimes prevails in winter for more than a month – raises tremendous waves, yet it is not so dangerous as the impetuous blasts which descend from the apertures between the mountains.” [‘Letters.’ London, 8vo. 1817, pp. 178, 179.] Fort Augustus was taken by the rebels in 1745, who deserted it after demolishing what they could. The Duke of Cumberland established his head-quarters here after the battle of Culloden. Immediately behind the fort is a small village called Killiecuming, or Cill Chuiman. The Caledonian canal here passes through a series of five locks. There is a small church here, and a missionary clergyman, who is supported from the Royal bounty. See BOLESKINE. 

One thought on “Augustus (Fort), p.78.

Leave a Reply