September 1904

[Scottish Railway Incidents (1904) Contents]

   ACCIDENT. – Yesterday morning a somewhat serious accident happened to William Robertson, an engine-cleaner, who is employed of the Caledonian Railway engine shops. Robertson fell from his engine and sustained a broken leg, while his right ankle was twisted. He was removed to the Infirmary. 

– Perthshire Advertiser, Friday 2nd September, 1904, p.2. 



Railway Employee’s Good Services. 

   Events have occurred in Perth district lately that have been apt to instil in the minds of many a suspicion with regard to the accuracy of a statement made by Mr Dewar, M.P. for Inverness, at the Railwaymen’s Reunion, held in Perth several months ago, that the safest place on earth to be in was a railway train. Even though it was a meeting of those inseparably connected with the subject in hand, Mr Dewar’s assertion was astonishing. But “facts are chiels that winna ding,” and the popular and illustrious Perth speaker proved his asservation by quoting Board of Trade figures, which convey nothing but the naked truth. However, it is not with the wish either to further demonstrate the truth or try to disprove this contention that the present article is written. It might be well to give a brief outline of the work of the railway servants in preparing themselves to cope with accidents which happen on every railway system. With headquarters at Perth General Station, there is what is called the Perth Railway Ambulance Corps. Affiliated to this Corps are workmen of all grades employed by the Caledonian, North British, and Highland Railway Companies, and at the Joint Station. The strength of the Corps is about 80, and every year classes are arranged for the education of fellow workmen desirous of becoming qualified in the giving of first aid. Before going further it may be well to explain that 


and the lecturers and all others connected with the getting up of the classes give their time gratuitously, while the pupils themselves attend in their own time, mostly on Sunday afternoons. Several years ago there was erected on the Dundee platform by the Joint Committee of the Railway Companies a splendid Ambulance Hall, and in this well equipped building the tuition is given under the superintendence of Dr Stirling – whose father was instrumental in starting the ambulance work at Perth – Dr Parker Stewart, and Dr Taylor. The season starts in October, and is continued until after the New Year. Need it be said that in past years a large number of men have taken advantage of these classes, and the information derivable at them. When a recruit comes forward he is put through a course of ambulance training involving ten lectures. He is also the recipient of instruction from various members of the Corps. At the conclusion of this course he undergoes an examination in the work he had been engaged in, and, if successful, is presented with a certificate of efficiency, which makes him eligible to become a full fledged member of the Corps. During the second session he goes through a higher graded course of instruction, at the conclusion of which he again presents himself for examination, and, if successful, receives a medal testifying to his efficiency. At these classes, besides theory the students are instructed in practical work, it being demonstrated how to proceed in cases of accidents of every conceivable kind. Ever since the inception of these invaluable classes at Perth the keenest interest has been taken in them by the men. As a result Perth Ambulance Corps has taken a very active and creditable part in the various competitions, both open and local, carrying away many valuable prizes, including the following:- The Caledonian Railway Challenge Cup (open to railwaymen in the Company’s service from Carlisle to Aberdeen); the Scottish Challenge Shield (three occasions); the Perthshire Challenge Cup on the two occasions on which it has been competed for. Every encouragement is given by the heads of departments to the men to pursue this work, by their giving suitable prizes for competition. But there is one member who has for years stood out prominently in the Corps. Mr John McFarlane. To this old servant falls the melancholy yet self-imposed duty of attending to those whose misfortune it is to lose their lives on the line. The valuable services rendered by all the ambulance men are undoubtedly appreciated, and the railway servants deserve every commendation and encouragement in their good work. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Saturday 3rd September, 1904, p.3. 

   SERIOUS ACCIDENT. – A serious accident took place late on Saturday evening on the new railway near Kirkhill Station, Cambuslang. On the return journey of Noble’s explosives employees from Perth to Saltcoats the train stopped for the purpose of attaching a pilot engine. It appears that a man named Joseph Clark, 25 years of age, residing at Canal Place, Saltcoats, had got on to the rails, and was run over. Clark had his left foot cut off and other injuries, and was removed to the Royal Infirmary in the Cambuslang ambulance waggon. 

– Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, Saturday 3rd September, 1904, p.3. 

   THE lamentable railway accident that took place near Dalchonzie siding last Saturday ought – although, alas! too late for the unfortunate victims – to induce the Railway Company to make a change in some way there. In the first place, when the railway was constructed, the cottage should never have been left where it is. For a family of young children to be residing there is very like to them a death-trap. Then, as pointed out by the Rev. Mr Watt, Comrie, in a letter by him to the “Scotsman,” the running of an engine with tender in front may be legal, but it is very awkward, and renders the driver unable to see what is immediately before him. While it cannot be said that blame is attachable to anyone, yet a remedy of the existing arrangement at that point of the railway is absolutely necessary. 



   Writing to the Press the Rev. A Crawford Watt, West U.F. Church Manse, Comrie, says:- In the sad accident which overtook Mrs Smith and her child on Saturday, the express was running with the engine turned tender first. At St Fillans, where this train stops and goes back to Glasgow, there is no means of turning an engine, accordingly the engine had to be turned at Comrie, that it might be in a correct position to begin the return journey from St Fillans. There is a curve in the line before the scene of the disaster is approached, yet after leaving a point about 200 yards west of Dunira Gates, a considerable stretch of railway opens out from which Dalchonzie siding can be seen and the overseer’s house on this side of it. If the engine had been running with tender coupled to the carriages the driver when operating his engine could frequently have swept the line with his eye and seen the child on the rails, where it stood, I am informed, for a considerable time. In that case there was a chance of pulling up and averting this sad fatality. As it was the train ran on to St Fillans without the men on the engine knowing that anything special had occurred. There is no reflection whatever made on those managing the train, but it will be felt widely that the practice of running trains tender first should be stopped. The Board of Trade should insist that at all stations where the outward journey finishes and a return journey has to be made, there should be a means of turning the engine so that the risks of such disaster should be minimised to the utmost. Everything that can protect children of helpless age and mothers ready to give their lives for them, even when rescue from death is practically impossible, should not be spoken of, then be allowed to drop, but taken in hand and put through at once. Will not the Directors of the Caledonian Railway of themselves take up this matter, and set an example of humane consideration to other Companies? 

– Strathearn Herald, Saturday 3rd September, 1904, p.4. 

   FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – About 8 a.m. on Monday last a surfaceman named John McShane, 22 years of age, residing at 40 Reid Street, Maryhill, was knocked down by the 8 a.m. passenger train from Milngavie to Glasgow, and received a fracture of the skull. McShane, along with the other surfacemen, was engaged levelling on the up line between Milngavie and Hillfoot Railway Stations, and at a point about 400 yards north of Hillfoot signal cabin, when the train approached, apparently unobserved by McShane. He was carried to Hillfoot Railway Station, and attended to by Doctor Wood, Bearsden, and afterwards conveyed to the Western Infirmary, where he died at 10.30 a.m. the same day. McShane is in lodgings, and his parents reside in Ireland. he has been working on the railway for 8 or 9 months. From the first it was seen that McShane’s injuries were so severe that there were no hopes of his recovery. 

– Milngavie and Bearsden Herald, Friday 9th September, 1904, p.2. 

   PRESENCE OF MIND is a grand quality to be possessed of, and the man who can keep a clear head when others would fling themselves about in a frenzy is to be envied. Just the other night a local railway man was recounting his escapes, and one which occurred within the last two months seemed really worthy of repetition. It appeared that an up-express and a down-express were due to pass through one of our local stations at the same time. The railwayman in question was busy on the metals, and before he had time to reach the platform the trains were on him. With great coolness he deliberately laid himself flat on the 4ft. way, and the two trains rushed harmlessly past. One trembles to think what the result would have been had the person in question lost his head in such an emergency. 

– Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette, Saturday 10th September, 1904, p.5. 

   BOY FALLS FROM A RAILWAY CARRIAGE. – (n Wednesday forenoon a boy named John Paterson, five years of age, residing with his father, Wm. Paterson, under manager, at 170 Eddlewood Buildings, was seriously injured by falling from a train on to the railway between High Blantyre and Hamilton West Stations. Mrs Paterson and three of her children were in the compartment on their way to Motherwell. The door appears to have been insecure, and at Auchinraith the little boy fell out. He clung to the outside of the carriage for some considerable distance, but eventually was obliged to relinquish his hold. He sustained a severe scalp wound, which was dressed by Drs Walker and Laidlaw, Burnbank. yesterday he had not recovered consciousness. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News, Friday 16th September, 1904, p.4. 






   This afternoon the railway officials at Dundee reported, on the arrival of the four o’clock train from Glasgow, that a terrible accident had occurred. 

   The train was nearing Falkirk when a young boy opened, accidentally, the door of one of the compartments in a rear carriage. the wind sweeping in carried the boy right out, and as the train was going at full speed at the time fears are entertained that the child will have been killed. 

   The mother who was in the compartment went into hysterics, and a most painful scene ensued. So excited was she that she never thought of stopping the train, and it was not until Falkirk had been reached that the officials were acquainted with what had happened. 

   A search party was at once sent back. 

   The boy fell out on the inner side of the carriage on to the rails, and not much hope is therefore held that he will be found alive. 

   The poor mother was in a terrible state of anguish, and when the accident happened her shrieks were heard all over the train, long though it was. 

   The spectacle at Falkirk Station when she got out was of a most heartrending description. 

   The couple, it may be mentioned, were in the Dunfermline portion of the train. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Friday 16th September, 1904, p.3. 







   An accident of a most distressing character occurred yesterday afternoon on the North British Railway at a point known as Rough Castle Brick Works, between the stations of Bonnybridge and Falkirk, as the result of which a child of four and a half years of age lost his life. 

   The child, Robert Thomson, was the son of Thomas Thomson, builder, Foundry Street, Falkirk, who, along with his wife and three children, was travelling by the train which leaves Queen Street Station, Glasgow, for Dundee at 1.28 p.m. 

   The Thomsons were the only occupants of the compartment, and their intention was to change at Falkirk High Station. The train rattled through Bonnybridge, and Falkirk was being rapidly approached when the unfortunate accident occurred. As the train, going at express speed, passed the Roughcastle Brick Works, the door of the carriage suddenly flew open, and the unfortunate child, before his parents could prevent it, was precipitated on to the metals beside the embankment, and sufficiently near the line to be run over by any train that might subsequently pass. 


   Stunned for the moment, the parents apparently forgot to pull the alarm cord, and it was not until the train drew up at Falkirk that any definite action was taken. All that the poor mother was able to realise was that her child had fallen, and was probably killed, and bursting into hysterics her shrieks were heard from end to end of the train. Indeed, on arrival at Falkirk High Station she was so much overcome with grief that she fainted, and had to be carried into a house in the neighbourhood of the station. 


   The affair was reported to the stationmaster at Falkirk, and steps were at once taken to recover the child. At the time the 11.45 train from Dundee to Glasgow was at the opposite side of the platform, and by this train a search party proceeded to Roughcastle. By the time the party had reached the spot, however, the child had been recovered, and was lying in the office at the Brickworks. Medical aid was at once summoned from Camelon, and on the arrival of Dr Brown it was found that the skull of the child had been fractured. The medical gentlemen ordered his immediate removal to Falkirk Infirmary, but, unfortunately, the injuries sustained were of so serious a character that the child succumbed shortly after being admitted. 

   The utmost sympathy was extended to the parents by those who travelled by the train, and who witnessed the mother’s terrible grief. 






   Another account states:- The child was playing with the window strap, when the door of the compartment suddenly opened, and the boy fell out of the train, which was going at full speed at the time. The parents in their excitement neglected to pull the communication cord, and consequently the accident was unknown to the driver or the guard until they reached the first station – Falkirk – a mile and a half distant. 

   The father of the boy in his frenzy attempted to jump from the train after his child, and was only restrained by the efforts of his wife, who clung frantically to his clothing. 

   On reaching Falkirk Station the parents, accompanied by a number of the railway officials, hurried along the line, and found the child on the embankment opposite Roughcastle Brickworks. The poor boy was very badly injured about the head, and was quite unconscious. He was carried to Camelon, the nearest village, and driven to the Falkirk Infirmary, but expired at 5.20, about an hour after admission, in presence of his parents, who were distraught with grief. 

– Dundee Courier, Saturday 17th August, 1904, p.4. 

   Shortly after nine o’clock last night, Charles Philip, a number-taker in the employment of the North British Railway Company in Aberdeen, met with a serious accident while working in the Goods Station, Guild Street. He was walking towards the goods shed when he fell over the ball of a point-shifter, and his left foot, going under the wheels of an outgoing goods train, was severely crushed. The man was conveyed in the station ambulance to the Royal Infirmary, where it was found necessary to amputate his foot. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Saturday 17th September, 1904, p.4. 




   An alarming railway collision took place on Saturday night, at Clyde Bridge Junction, on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway, close to St Enoch Station. It is little more than a year ago since the terrible accident to a train with excursionists from the Isle of Man, when 15 persons were killed. The collision of Saturday night, fortunately, was much less serious, involving no loss of life. Nineteen persons were injured, and of these seven were detained at the Royal Infirmary. It appears that about nine o’clock a pilot engine, driven by Thomas Glover, left the No. 1 mid road, St Enoch Station, the destination being Corkerhill. About the same time a local train for Kilmarnock, the engine-driver of which is named Macrae, left No. 5 dock. Near the junction at Clyde Bridge there is a sharp curve. The pilot engine was on a loop line which runs for some distance parallel with the main line. It is conjectured that the driver of the pilot engine had taken as meant for him a signal made for other train, with the result that both went forward, and the pilot engine ran into the carriage third from the engine, knocking it across the rails of the immediately adjoining main line. At the same moment a ‘bus train from Barrhead, which was approaching St Enoch Station, came along the main line. The signal for the Barrhead train had been given, but the signalman, who seems to have apprehended that something was wrong, reversed the signal. The change was made just too late, and the Barrhead train continued its journey, colliding with the overturned carriage of the Kilmarnock train, and also with a carriage of first-class compartments. Apparently there were no passengers in this portion of the train, which, like the other, was wrecked. Happening in the darkness, the shock of the collision naturally caused great alarm among the passengers. Several of them, it is said, got out of the train, and sustained injury in stumbling across the rails, while some, it was stated, were knocked down by the derailed carriage as it sustained the second shock. Mr Gilmour, the stationmaster, was quickly on the scene, and medical and police assistance was telephoned for. The injured passengers were in the first place taken into the engine shed at the junction, and were afterwards conveyed to St Enoch Station. Examination showed that most of them were suffering from shock and slight bruises. The twelve who were least injured were able to travel home by the 10.45 train to Kilmarnock. the others after having their injuries temporarily dressed were conveyed in ambulance waggons to the Royal Infirmary. St Enoch Station was crowded at the time, and news of the accident rapidly spread. Three of the most badly injured passengers were taken into the general waiting room, which was surrounded by a crowd of somewhat excited spectators. the following is a list of the injured: 

   At the infirmary – George Henry Bruce (46), Central Station Hotel – left leg severely bruised below the knee. James M. Campbell (34), Glendouran, Crookston – fractured left arm and bruises. Jeanie Ferguson (18), 18 Jackson Villa, Kilbirnie – slight spinal injury. Catherine McCall, or Hughes (39), 4 Stirrat Place, Dalry – shock. Mary McInnes or McFarlane (39), 8 Dovecothill, Barrhead – fractured ribs and severe bruising. Marion Stewart or Smith (34), 1 Bankside Avenue, Johnstone – shock. Hugh Ward (33), Oakbank, Crookston – compound fracture of left leg below the knee. 

   Able to go home – Grace Anderson, Auchinhead, Brookhill, Johnstone – shock. Robert Frater (42), 20 Hazelbank, Kilbarchan – collar-bone fractured. Jeannie Scott or Frater (42), wife of the above – shock. John Garden (33), Auchinhead, Johnston – shock. Ellen Wright or Johnstone (29), Kirkland Terrace, Glengarnock – shock. William Robertson (43), Kirkland Terrace, Glengarnock – shock. Mrs Robertson, wife of above – fracture of right arm. John Telford (39), 27 Causewayside Street, Paisley – bruised forehead and right eye. Helen Shannon or Telford (36), wife of above – shock. Malcolm McNeil (68), 8 Park View, Kilbarchan – shock. Agnes Gilmour or McNeil, wife of above – shock. Arthur Wardlaw (32), 165 Kennedy Street – slight injury. 

   On inquiry at the Royal Infirmary late last night it was stated that all the injured accommodated there were progressing favourably. the most serious cases are considered to be those of Mrs McFarlane and the man Ward. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 19th August, 1904, p.2. 







Alarming Affair in East Lothian. 

   Early this morning a goods train from Perth to Berwick met with a serious mishap near Innerwick, East Lothian. 

   The couplings of one of the waggons gave way, and the foremost portion of the train, when slowing down on a steep incline, was run into with great force by the rear portion, causing considerable damage to rolling stock. 

   All the English trains were delayed three hours. 



   A later telegram says the foremost portion of the train was slowing down to the west of the railway station at Dunbar, when the rear portion, which was travelling at a high rate of speed, dashed into it. but for several waggons mounting the tender of the engine a greater part of the train must have gone over the steep embankment. 

   Fortunately the driver, stoker, and guard escaped. The three London trains were delayed three hours, and those of the Edinburgh route one hour. 



   Another account says:- Shortly after three o’clock this morning a long goods train was partly wrecked near Dunbar Railway Station. 

   It was running down an incline some miles east of the station, when it divided owing to a coupling breaking. 

   The two parts afterwards collided, and 13 of the trucks were wrecked. the driver and guards had a narrow escape. The mishap caused much delay to traffic. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Tuesday 20th September, 1904, p.2. 


   Last evening John Jamieson, clerk, in the employment of the Great North of Scotland Railway Company, met with an accident, which, fortunately, was not of a serious nature, at Murtle station. He had gone towards a carriage of a suburban train – which was leaving the station – to adjust the handle of a carriage door, when he missed his footing and fell between the footboard and the platform. The guard of the train, who observed the accident, applied the air brakes and pulled the train up. Jamieson, it was found, had had his left leg severely injured. He was taken to Aberdeen and conveyed in the Joint Station ambulance to the Royal Infirmary. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 21st September, 1904, p.5. 




   Early this morning the terribly mutilated body, in a semi-nude condition, of a woman named Macdonald, residing at Morgan Cottage, Bankhead, near Aberdeen, was found on the railway to the north of Bankhead Station by the engine-driver of an early northgoing train. It remains a mystery as to how the unfortunate woman wandered to the railway. She had been in delicate health for some time. 

– Dundee Evening Post, Wednesday 21st September, 1904, p.3. 





   Yesterday the mutilated body of a woman was found on the Great North of Scotland Railway at Bankhead. The body has been identified as that of Mrs McDonald, Morgan Cottage, Bankhead Village. The discovery was made by the engine-driver of an early outgoing train, whose attention was attracted by the unusual sight of some object lying on the down line about 200 yards north of Bankhead. He immediately applied the brake, and pulled up the train, to find that the object which had attracted his attention was the body of a woman fearfully mutilated, and in a semi-nude condition, the unfortunate woman apparently having only been partially dressed. For some time past, it is understood, Mrs McDonald had been in delicate health. 

   Our Bucksburn correspondent, referring to the lamentable occurrence, says:- The driver of the suburban train which leaves the Joint Station at 5.25 a.m. on its way to Dyce, on leaving Bankhead Station, observed something lying on the line. He immediately pulled up, and along with several passengers proceeded along the line and found the body of Mrs McDonald lying on the four-foot way between the up and down line. The head was almost severed from the body, and part of the right forearm was nearly torn off. There were several bruises about the body, and death must have been instantaneous. The police were at once informed of the sad occurrence, and they hurried to the spot. Sergeant Chalmers and Constable Adams took charge of the remains, and immediately sent information to the parents of the deceased, who also reside in the village. The body was identified by deceased’s sister, and it was then removed in the ambulance procured from Stoneywood Works to the house of the deceased, Morgan Cottage. The husband of the unfortunate woman, James McDonald, quarry-worker, went to America about 18 months ago, and recently Mrs McDonald has been in poor health. She leaves one son, nine years of age. It is not yet known when the fatality occurred, as several trains pass during the night. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Thursday 22nd September, 1904, p.4. 

   SHOCKING RAILWAY FATALITY. – On Thursday morning the body of a man was found on the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway near Easthaven, about five miles from Arbroath. The body was fearfully cut up. The head was entirely severed, and the legs and arms were terribly mutilated. the features were unrecognisable. 

– Southern Reporter, Thursday 22nd September, 1904, p.4. 

   FATAL ACCIDENT. – On Thursday morning the body of a man named David Cuthbert Duthie, who was employed as an agent on the Dundee branch of the Prudential Insurance Company was found lying in a fearfully mutilated condition on the Dundee and Arbroath Railway about a mile and a quarter above Easthaven. The body was found by a shoemaker named Norrie, who was proceeding along the line, shortly before six o’clock, to his work at Carnoustie. Norrie acquainted the railway officials with the news of his gruesome discovery, and had information conveyed to Sergeant Alexander of the County Constabulary. The remains were gathered up and conveyed to the mortuary at Arbroath Police Office. From the fact that portions of the man’s clothes were found in various places along the line it is concluded that he had been dragged along the rails. Deceased had been visiting his sister and brother-in-law, who reside in Abbey Street, and he parted from his sister in Millgate the previous evening about 6.45, stating he was to visit a friend at Elliot. it is surmised he had started to walk to Carnoustie by the line to catch the last train for Dundee and had been run down by one of the late express trains. He resided at 54 Blackness Road, Dundee. The remains were interred in the Eastern Cemetery, Arbroath, on Saturday. 

– Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs, Thursday 22md September, 1904, p.4. 

   LOCAL ANGLER KILLED. – A distressing accident occurred on Friday night on the Caledonian Railway, near Broughton, whereby Lindsay Smith, miner, Braidhurst Rows, lost his life. It appears that Smith and some companions were on a fishing expedition on the upper reaches of the Tweed. During the night the party had separated, and on the following morning Smith’s mutilated remains were found on the railway; deceased having evidently been run down by a passing train. Smith leaves a grown-up family. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News, Friday 23rd September, 1904, p.6. 

   ACCIDENT AT DALMENY STATION. – On Friday evening last, at Dalmeny Station, a serious accident befel Alexander Flockhart, locomotive fireman. He had been filling the engine tank, and on coming over the tender he slipped and fell with great force on the brake handle, severely bruising his side. Mr Murray, stationmaster, had the young man promptly sent to his home in Dunfermline, where, under medical care, he is progressing slowly but favourably. 

– Linlithgowshire Gazette, Friday 23rd September, 1904, p.5. 

   Alexander Currie, a labourer, of no fixed abode, was run down and fatally injured on the railway at Cowdenbeath early on Friday morning last week. He had disregarded a warning not to walk along the line in the darkness. 


   On Sunday the body of a man was found lying in a mutilated condition on the side of the Caledonian Railway at Ferrydykes, between Old Kilpatrick and Bowling. It was identified as that of James graham, seventy-five years of age. 

– Strathearn Herald, Saturday 24th September, 1904, p.2. 




   ON the arrival of a train from Edinburgh at Thornton Junction on Tuesday, an old lady handed to the railway officials a parcel which she stated had been left in the compartment in which she was travelling. The parcel on being opened was found to contain the dead body of a newly-born child. 




   ON Tuesday a serous railway mishap occurred at Innerwick, near Dunbar. The couplings of one of the waggons of a goods train from Perth gave way, and the foremost part of the train, when slowing down on a steep incline, was run into with great force by the rear portion. Serious damage was done to rolling stock, many trucks being wrecked. 

– Strathearn Herald, Saturday 24th September, 1904, p.6. 


   Yesterday morning the body of Francis Campbell, surfaceman, 9 Tobago Street, Greenock, was found in the tunnel of the Caledonian Railway about half a mile west of Greenock West Station. Circumstances point to deceased having been knocked down and killed by a passing train. He was 38 years of age. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Tuesday 27th September, 1904, p.6. 

   KILLED ON THE RAILWAY. – About three o’clock on Sunday morning the body of John Curran, surfaceman, residing at Mount Vernon, was found lying on the Caledonian Railway about ten yards east of Daldowie signal-box. It is supposed that Curran had been taking a near road home and been struck by a passing train. He was twenty-five years of age, and unmarried. 

– Scotsman, Tuesday 27th September, 1904, p.5. 


   Information reached Perth General Station this morning that a man had been run over and killed by an express train near Forgandenny. The circumstances attending the sad accident are now known. Alexander Fraser, residing near Earn Bridge, Forgandenny, and gamekeeper with Mr C. L. Wood, of Freeland, had been taking, it is conjectured, a near cut from his house to Freeland, and had ventured on the line. The 7.40 express train from Glasgow to Dundee, arriving in Perth about 9.13 was due, and Fraser, not observing the approach of the train, had been accidentally run over and instantaneously killed. On the arrival of the engine at Perth, the driver noticed that it had lost one of the buffers, while bloodstains were discernible. The driver stated that he never saw any person on the permanent way, but felt the locomotive shake when passing Forgandenny. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Thursday 29th September, 1904, p.3. 

Leave a Reply