CHARTER AND GIFT BY KING ROBERT III., of a yearly payment of one hundred shillings out of the Customs of Dundee to the Altar of St. Salvator in the Parish Church of Dundee, to celebrate Mass for the repose of the soul of his son David, Duke of Rothesay, who was murdered in Falkland Palace, dated 8th February 1401-5. The Charter is reproduced in facsimile at page 26 of Charters, Writs, and Public Documents relating to Dundee. Dundee, 1880.
(1016) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
ANCIENT SEAL OF THE BURGH OF DUNDEE, affixed to Charter in favour of the Chaplainrie of St. Salvator, dated 21st March 1555. This is the only pre-Reformation document existing in the repositories of the city to which impressions of the ancient seal yet remain attached. See Charters, etc., relating to Dundee, p. 260, where it is figured. (See Fig. 148.)
(1009) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
REMISSION, by King James IV. (bearing his signature), to the Town and Inhabitants of Dundee, of all transgressions and offences respecting weights and measures, etc., dated 20th March 1511-12.
(1013) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
LICENCE, by Queen Mary, granting to the Town of Dundee the right of burying their dead in the Grey Cordelier Friars’ Yard, now known as ‘The Howff; dated 11th September 1564. This document, with Mary’s signature, is reproduced in facsimile in Mr. Hay’s Charters, etc., relating to Dundee, p. 40. Both sanitary knowledge and acquaintance with continental practice are displayed in the licence, which, after narrating that the kirk-yard of the town is ‘in ye myddis yairof,’ burial in which engenders ‘pest and uther contagius seikness… and maks ye sam to perseveir and contineu to ye grit hurt nocht onlie to ye inhabitants of oure said burt, but alsua of ye haill Realme. And wtin the realme of France and uther forn pts thair is na deid bureit wtin borrowis and grit townis, but hes thair bureall places and sepultures outwt ye sam for evading of ye contagius seikness forsaids,’ etc.
(1017) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
ORDER, by King James VI., and bearing his signature, ordaining a Grant to be made in favour of the Town of Dundee, of Shore Dues and Duties on shipping within the river Tay, for improving the navigation of the river Tay and repairing the Harbour, dated 1580. The town was empowered to levy an impost on ‘ilk twn of guidis transportit be sey within the said rever of Tay tuelf pennyes at the incuming, and at the laidnying and outganing tuelf penneis.’ Facsimile at p. 53 of Charters, etc., relating to Dundee.
(1014) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
LETTER, signed by King Charles II., to Mr. Alexander Wedderburn, Town Clerk of Dundee, dated Brussels. 6th July 1649. It states that His Majesty has ‘been duely informed of the faithfull service you have performed to the King our late father, of blessed memory; and we intreate you to continue the same good affection to us; assuring you that we are very sensible, not only of your particular desert, but of the good affection of the whole Towne of Dundee,’ etc. Facsimile at p. 91 of Charters, etc., relating to Dundee.
(1018) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
ORDER, by the Privy Council and Estates of Parliament, to the Town of Dundee, to send 200 men to defend Burntisland, dated 28th June 1651. Signed by Lords Hamilton, Argyll, Craford and Lindesay, Balcarres, Balhaven, etc. See facsimile in Charters, etc., relating to Dundee, p. 93.
(1010) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
RECEIPT OR DISCHARGE, by Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee, to the Town of Dundee, for his duty on malt, dated 11th March 1689. A facsimile of this receipt is given at p. 114 of Charters, etc., relating to Dundee. Graham of Claverhouse succeeded the Earl of Lauderdale in the Barony of Dudhope, to which the office of Constable of Dundee was attached. The constable had for centuries exercised the power of interfering with and superseding the functions of the provost and magistrates, and his authority frequently clashed with that of the elected magistrates. Against the succession of Claverhouse to such power the burghal authorities protested with great vigour; but he was confirmed in the office with all its privileges by James II., whom he served so well. His resolute exercise of the powers of his office led to open conflict with the citizens, and it was only the necessity for his services in a larger field which relieved the town from the armed enforcement of his oppressive rights. The office of constable after Claverhouse’s death descended to the Douglases, and the Duke of Douglas received £1800 as compensation for the abolition of the ancient privileges and jurisdiction.
(1011) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
THE COUNCIL PIRLEY-PIG OF DUNDEE, a pewter box, for receiving fines for non-attendance at the Council, 14th March 1602. The box is cylindrical with depressed top, two ring handles (one ring gone), and elaborately engraved with four shields within circular bands and guilloche ornaments, etc. On the first shield is inscribed ‘Sir James Schrimzeour, Provest, Anno 1642, 14 May,’ and on the surrounding band, ‘Lord Blesse the Provest Baillzies and Counsell of Dundie.’ Second shield, the Scottish Arms, and on band, ‘Feare God and obey the King, 16 R.’ Third shield, the Dundee Arms, the pot of lilies, with motto ‘DEI DON.’ Fourth shield, initials of bailies, and date: in surrounding band, ‘Payment for not comeing to the Counsell of Dundie.’ Figured in Hay’s Charters, etc., of Dundee, p. 2606. (See Fig. 149.)
(1012) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
NOMINATION, by the Duke of Argyll, Commander of the Government Forces in Scotland, of Six Burgesses of Dundee to be Managers of the Burgh in respect that the Magistrates had sided with the Pretender, dated 3d February 1716. The Town Clerk, with most of the magistrates, fled on the approach of the Government troops under the Duke of Argyll, leaving the town without any regularly constituted authority. In March following the King granted authority for the popular election of councillors, and the new council promptly deposed Mr. Alexander Wedderburn from the office of Town Clerk, and Mr. Patrick Lyon from the Mastership of the Grammar School for their share in the Jacobite rising. The Duke of Argyll’s Nomination is reproduced in Charters, etc., relating to Dundee, p. 131.
(1019) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
TWO FRAMES, CONTAINING CHURCH MUSIC, printed in large type. Early sixteenth century. These sheets were found as stiffening inside the parchment cover of a Protocol Book in the Charter Room of Dundee, written by Robert Wedderburn about 1580. They form part of a Roman Missal, which is believed to have been in use in the Church of St. Mary in Dundee before the Reformation. See Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot., N. S., vol. xi. p. 164.
(1015) Lent by the TOWN COUNCIL OF DUNDEE.
PORTRAIT, of Admiral Viscount Duncan. Small gem profile by Brown, 1 ¼ inches by 1 inch. Admiral Duncan (born 1731, died 1804) was born at Dundee.
(1026) Lent by A. C. LAMB.
PORTRAIT, of Admiral Viscount Duncan. Wedgwood plaque, 4 ½ inches by 3 inches.
(1027) Lent by A. C. LAMB.
PORTRAIT, of Admiral Viscount Duncan. Medallion by James Tassie, 4 ½ inches by 3 inches.
(1028) Lent by A. C. LAMB.