Collection of Views and Maps of Glasgow, pp.234-239.

[Scottish National Memorials Contents]

Lent by MATTHEW SHIELDS. (Nos. 867-912). 

   ENGRAVING, ‘Ye Prospect of ye Town of Glasgow from ye North End.’ Slezer, 1693. 

(867) 

   ENGRAVING of the College of Glasgow, bearing the inscription, ‘Most humbly inscribed to the Reverend Mr. John Stirling, Principall of ye Coledge of Glasgow.’ Slezer, 1693. 

(869) 

   VIEW of the Trongate of Glasgow from the East, about 1770. (See Fig. 166.) 

(873) 

   ENGRAVING, ‘The Prospect of the Town of Glasgow from the South.’ Slezer, 1693. (See Fig. 167.) 

(868) 

   VIEW of the Broomielaw about 1760. 

(870) 

   VIEW of Glasgow from the South-east. R. Foulis, 1762. 

(871) 

   VIEW of the Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace of Glasgow. 1783. T. Hearne. 

(874) 

   VIEW of Kirk Street, Old Trades Hospital, and Infirmary, 1795. 

(875) 

   VIEW of Glasgow from the Green, about 1795, by T. Williams. 

(876) 

   VIEW of the Cathedral from the North, 1797. 

(877) 

   VIEW of the Cathedral from the South-east, 1807. 

(878) 

   VIEW of Glasgow from the Green in 1810. 

(879) 

   WATER-COLOUR DRAWING. The Broomielaw about 1800, from an old print by D. Small. 

(880) 

   THE BROOMIELAW about 1810, by D. Small, from an old painting. 

(881) 

   THE BROOMIELAW about 1805, by D. Small, from an old painting. 

(882) 

   VIEW of the Cathedral of Glasgow from the South. J. Knox, 1825. (See Fig. 168.) 

(885) 

   PLAN of the City of Glasgow, and of the villages of Calton and Gorbells, with a part of the adjacent country, 1777. 

(888) 

   MAP of the City of Glasgow and Suburbs. P. Fleming, 1808. 

(889) 

   MAPS of the Barony, Parish, and Royalties of Glasgow in 1832, by James Cleland. 

(893) 

   PLAN of Glasgow in 1840. 

(896) 

   BIRD’S-EYE VIEW of Glasgow in 1853. 

(912) 

———————————————

   VIEW of the Trongate of Glasgow about 1760. 

(913) Lent by GEORGE ROUGH. 

   SOUTH-WEST VIEW of the City of Glasgow about 1780. 

(914) Lent by GEORGE ROUGH. 

   TOPOGRAPHICAL ILLUSTRATIONS of Glasgow, consisting of a series of eleven early views of the city, and of three plans and maps. 

(937) Lent by DAVID MURRAY, LL.D. 

   SEPIA DRAWING of the ‘Broomielaw in 1807.’ (See Fig. 169.) 

(795) Lent by JAMES BARCLAY MURDOCH. 

   WATER-COLOUR VIEW of the Cathedral about 1800, by H. W. Williams, F.R.S.E., author of Select Views in Greece

(796) Lent by ALEX. B. McGRIGOR, LL.D. 

   ORIGINAL CHINA INK DRAWING, by J. Elridge, of the Archbishop’s Castle and Cathedral as they stood in 1790, being the original of the plate (No. 5, p. 13) in Swan’s Select Views of Glasgow and its Environs, Glasgow, 1828. 

(797) Lent by ALEX. B. McGRIGOR, LL.D. 

   VIEW of the Cathedral and Molendinar Burn from the South, in glazed oak frame made of wood of the pulpit of the Cathedral. 

(935) Lent by MRS. LAWSON. 

   THE CATHEDRAL AND CITY OF GLASGOW, from the Necropolis, about 1840, after the original in the Corporation Galleries by John A. Houston. R.S.A. 

(939A) Lent by JAMES PATON. 

   VIEW OF CLAYSLAPS MILL, bought by the Incorporation of Bakers from the Town of Glasgow in 1771, and resold by the Incorporation to the Town in 1873 for an extension of the Kelvingrove Park. The Exhibition stood on the site of it and of the village of Clayslaps. 

(1570) Lent by J. O. MITCHELL. 

   VIEW OF BUNHOUSE MlLL (anciently Quheit Mylne), feued by the Incorporation of Bakers from Walter Stewart, Commendator of Blantyre, in 1588; rebuilt in 1849; finally burnt down in 1886. It stood on the north side of the old Dumbarton Road, between Yorkhill Gate and the Old Bridge of Partick, 

(1571) Lent by J. O. MITCHELL. 

   VIEW of Partick Castle (of which now no trace remains), drawn in 1817 by the late James Denholm, author of the History of Glasgow

(1578) Lent by JOHN PARKER. 

   PICTURE of the Cunningham Mansion, over which the Royal Exchange was built, and still forming part of that structure. Sewed in silk on black velvet. 

(939C) Lent by DAVID ROBERTSON. 

   SERIES OF WATER-COLOUR DRAWINGS of Old Buildings and Views of Glasgow, as existing about the middle of the nineteenth century. By Thomas Fairbairn. 

   Thomas Fairbairn, the author of this important series of Pictures of Old Glasgow, was a local water-colour painter of good repute, who died at Hamilton in 1884, aged sixty-four years. The drawings were undertaken primarily at the instance of Dean of Guild Bogle of Glasgow, and the greater proportion of them were published in chromo-lithographic reproductions, with letterpress descriptions, in 1849. A few additional views were drawn at a later date, and with the original set, these were included in a re-issue of the work, with plates in black and white by T. and R. Annan of Glasgow in 1885. 

   (a) The Cathedral, and View of Glasgow from Garngadhill, 1848. 

   (b) The Old Town’s Hospital, and Residence of R. Dreghorn, Esq., 1849. 

   (c) Castle Street, with Cathedral Clock Tower, 1849. 

   (d) Tombs in High Church Yard, 1849. 

   (e) The Drygate, 1849. 

   (f) The Duke’s Lodge, Drygate, 1849. 

   (g) Valley of the Molendinar, Town Hall at bottom, 1849. 

   (h) View of the Monkland Canal bank, near Millburn Bridge, 1848. 

   (i) Ladywell Street from Duke Street, 1848. 

   (j) The College Gate, High Street, 1849. 

   (k) The Outer Court, College, 1849. 

   (l) The Fiddler’s Close, 75 Duke Street (looking down), 1844. 

   (m) The Fiddler’s Close, 75 High Street (looking up), 1844. 

   (n) The Laigh Kirk Close, 1849. 

   (o) Close at 77 Saltmarket, 1849. 

   (p) The Old Washing-house, Glasgow Green, 1849. 

   (q) Hutchesontown Bridge, from near Arn’s Well, 1850. 

   (r) Court of Old Mansion, Main Street, Gorbals, 1848. 

   (s) Elphinstone Tower, Main Street, Gorbals, 1848. 

   (t) Old Mansion House, Stockwell Street, 1849. 

   (u) The Stockwell Bridge, 1848. 

   (v) The Buck’s Head Hotel, 1850. 

   (w) The Old Bridge, Partick, with Stepping-Stones over the Kelvin, 1845. 

   (x) The Clyde at Govan Ferry, 1848. 

   (y) Govan Village, 1848. 

(939B) From the CORPORATION GALLERIES. 

   PAPERS in the process of William Fleming Wright in Glasgow against the Magistrates and Town Council of Glasgow relative to the removal of his saw-mill, with plan of the course of the Molendinar through the town of Glasgow, etc. This is the first published plan of part of Glasgow, being dated 1764. 

(838) Lent by GEORGE GRAY. 

   MAP of the Shire of Lanark, taken from a Survey. Scale 1 inch to the mile. By Charles Ross of Greenlaw. Engraved by George Cameron, 1778. These sheets contain the earliest published complete plan of Glasgow. 

(939) Lent by PETER FORBES. 

   ‘PLAN of the City of Glasgow, Gorbells, and Caltoun, from an actual survey by John McArthur, Surveyor in Glasgow. Engraved by Alexander Baillie and James Lumsden, 1778.’ Contains the names of principal owners of property in the city. 

(1563) Lent by GEORGE GRAHAM THOMSON. 

   PLAN of the City of Glasgow, engraved by J. Lumsden. Marked 1772, but not older than about 1780. 

(1564) Lent by GEORGE GRAHAM THOMSON. 

   ‘PLAN of the City of Glasgow, Gorbells, Caltoun, and Environs, with an exact delineation of its Royalty, from an actual survey by James Barry, Surveyor in Glasgow.’ Engraved by Alexander Baillie, 1782. 

(1565) Lent by GEORGE GRAHAM THOMSON. 

   PLAN of the City of Glasgow, from a survey in 1797. Contains references to the principal public buildings in the city, which are darker in the shade than the other houses. 

(1566) Lent by GEORGE GRAHAM THOMSON. 

   COLLECTION OF ROMAN REMAINS, found in 1867 on the lands of Yorkhill, Glasgow, embracing several coins, among them a great brass of Trajan, a silver coin, and some bronze coins. There was also a small quantity of wheat, and fragments of Roman pottery and glass. Yorkhill is an eminence rising from the Kelvin near its confluence with the Clyde. About its summit there were faint traces of earthworks, and in 1867 the ground was dug into and trenched, when the remains enumerated above were unearthed. These remains are assumed to indicate that there was planted on this eminence a small Roman fort or out-station to guard the ford at the junction of the Clyde and Kelvin, by which communication was maintained with the great camp of Vanduara (Paisley), distant little more than four miles from Yorkhill. The soldiers of this small garrison, as well as their supplies, would be drawn from the Paisley camp by way of the ford. 

(85) Lent by D. M. CRERAR-GILBERT. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s