August 1906

[Scottish Railway Incidents (1906) Contents]

   FATAL ACCIDENT AT NEWBATTLE. – James Tully, a banksman employed by the Lothian Coal Company (Limited), Newbattle, was fatally injured in the railway sidings at the Lady Victoria colliery yesterday, several waggons which were being shunted knocking him down as he was crossing the railway lines. Tully, who was about sixty years of age, resided in Dalkeith. 

– Scotsman, Wednesday 1st August, 1906, p.8. 

   There are few more prolific sources of accidents on the railway to children especially, than the sudden and unexpected opening of a carriage door against which they have been leaning. It is interesting, therefore, to observe that the ingenuity of a Falkirk man has been directed to the matter, with the result that he has invented an apparatus, by means of which carriage doors are automatically locked on the starting of the train, and unlocked by the guard when necessary. It is to be hoped that this invention will prove successful where so many have failed, and that thereafter it will be adopted by the railway companies. 






   An alarming motor car accident occurred to ex-Provost and Mrs and Miss Cockburn, Falkirk, on Monday afternoon. The circumstances attending the accident were such that the ex-Provost’s escape, as also the escape of those who shared the car with him at the time, cannot be regarded as other than marvellous. 

   It appears that in the afternoon ex-Provost Cockburn, accompanied by his wife and daughter, left his residence, Vermont, Falkirk, for a run in his steam motor car in the district to the south of Falkirk. The car, which was driven by Mr John Kerr, had reached a point on the Avonbridge and Shieldhill Road between California and Blackbraes, and was about to pass over a mineral railway crossing which crosses the public road, when a somewhat serious accident happened. 

   The crossing is not protected by gates where it passes over the public road, and it is alleged there was at the time no one on duty at it to warn anyone approaching that a train was about to pass. Be that as it may, the car was almost at the crossing when the chauffeur observed a mineral train coming along the railway line, with the engine behind. 

   He immediately applied his brakes, and tried either to reverse the car or bring it to a standstill, but before he could do either, the front portion of the car had got on to the crossing rails just as the goods train came up at a good pace. The impact was a most violent one. The two front wheels of the car were knocked off it as the first waggon pushed it to the one side and off the rails. 

   The occupants were naturally in a state of intense alarm when they he held the frightful position in which they were, but fortunately they escaped without any visible injury, although ex-Provost and Mrs and Miss Cockburn suffered much from shock. 

   They were able to walk into Blackbraes Co-operative Store, where they rested a little until the excitement from which they suffered had in a measure passed away. A machine was then furnished by Mr Watson, grocer and carriage-hirer, California, and his son, Mr Alex. Watson, drove ex-Provost and Mrs and Miss Cockburn to their residence, where they have been attended to by Dr Clarkson. 

   The wrecked car was hoisted on to a lorry and conveyed to Falkirk. 

– Falkirk Herald, Wednesday 1st August, 1906, p.4. 

   Dr John M. Stewart, one of the house surgeons of Smithson Poorhouse and Asylum, Greenock, died at Carlisle Infirmary on Tuesday from injuries sustained by falling from a corridor train on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway. Dr Stewart left St. Enoch Station, Glasgow, on Monday night for London, where he intended to spend his holidays. It is supposed that on nearing Carlisle he opened the carriage door on the non-corridor side, and stepped on to the line, where he was afterwards found in an unconscious condition. At the inquest held on Tuesday in Carlisle, the jury, in returning a verdict of accidental death, added a recommendation that the outer doors of corridor trains should be locked. 

– Kilmarnock Herald and North Ayrshire Gazette, Friday 3rd August, 1906, p.7. 

   A RAILWAY ACCIDENT. – An unfortunate accident occurred at Maud Junction railway on Thursday afternoon of last week. A fireman named James Smith overbalanced himself when prepared to water his engine and fell off the tender of the engine on to the couplings. He sustained a rather severe wound on the forehead, and for a time was rendered unconscious. Smith’s foot appears to have got fastened in the coupling, and he was dragged a distance of 25 yards. Mr Gordon, the stationmaster, did everything to alleviate the sufferings of the unfortunate man, and a telephone message was despatched to Dr Mitchell, New Deer. Dr Christie Woodside, who happened to be at the Station Hotel, was promptly called, and afterwards Dr McLeod, New Deer, came on the scene. The injured fireman was conveyed from Maud in the afternoon by the goods train, and is now in the Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen. 

– Peterhead Sentinel and General Advertiser for Buchan District, Saturday 4th August, 1906, p.8. 


   A somewhat serious accident happened just outside St Enoch station of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway this forenoon. A pug engine ran into a train leaving for Kilmarnock, derailing one of the carriages. The passengers were much alarmed, and several refused to travel by the new train that was made up. Owing to the accident occurring at the points, traffic was dislocated till well into the afternoon. Fortunately no person was injured beyond the shock. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 6th August, 1906, p.3. 

   Leith, Monday. – A fatal accident occurred at the goods yard of the North British Railway, North Leith, this morning. An engine-driver named Mustard was standing between the engine and the tender when the engine came back on him, and he was crushed between it and the tender. At the hospital life was found to be extinct, and the body was removed to the police mortuary. Deceased was thirty-one years of age, married, and resided at 16 Edina Place, Edinburgh. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Tuesday 7th August, 1906, p.3. 


   As the locomotive belonging to the Forth Collieries’ Prestonlinks and Bankton Collieries was bringing down twelve dross-laden trucks and six empties this forenoon to the first-named colliery for getting dross washed, the brakes failed to act a little to the south of the bridge under which the railway goes to the station, and the weight behind pushed the engine forward till it collided with some trucks, the impact tumbling the engine over, and doing much damage to several trucks and to the engine. Fortunately, the engineman and stoker were able to leap in time, but the latter got his arm hurt. The miners were thrown idle for want of trucks. A steam crane had to be got to clear the line of wreckage. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Wednesday 8th August, 1906, p.2. 

   TRAGIC DEATH IN MONCREIFFE TUNNEL. – William Fleming, a draper in South Africa, who, along with his wife, was on a holiday home, died suddenly in the London train due at Aberdeen at 10.20 last night. Mr and Mrs Fleming were on their way to Maryculter, Deeside, where they had some friends. He had been in excellent health in London, and nothing appeared wrong with him until Stirling had been passed. When he was dining in the saloon in the train, Mrs Fleming observed that he looked ill, and when the train emerged from the Moncreiffe Tunnel, near Perth, she was startled to find that he had expired. The remains were carried to Aberdeen, and on arrival there they were conveyed to the police mortuary. Mr Fleming was about 60 years of age. 

– Perthshire Advertiser, Wednesday 8th August, 1906, p.5. 


      Through a fall of rock in a deep cutting on the West Highland Railway near Ardlui an alarming accident occurred yesterday afternoon. The fall occurred at a sharp curve near the Pulpit Rock, and into this mass of rock dashed a goods train from Glasgow. The result was disastrous. The train which consisted of a powerful goods engine, tender, and a number of laden trucks, was completely wrecked. The engine-driver, named McKinnon, was very seriously injured, and was conveyed by motor car to the Victoria Infirmary, Helensburgh. The fireman, a married man named McLean, escaped with less serious injuries, and was conveyed by train from the scene of the accident to the Helensburgh Infirmary. McKinnon, the driver, is not married, and resides with his mother in Glasgow. The guard escaped without injury. 

   The breakdown gang was summoned from Cowlairs, and lost no time in hurrying to the scene and commencing clearing operations. The traffic was much disorganised, the passengers who had booked for Fort-William breaking the journey and returning to the city either by Loch Lomond or Helensburgh. It was very late before the passengers returning from Fort-William reached their destinations. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Thursday 9th August, 1906, p.2. 

   RAILWAY SERVANT’S NARROW ESCAPE. – A carriage inspector at the Upper Station, named Robert McGoram, had a narrow escape yesterday. While in the act of stepping off the south platform, and unaware that a train was approaching, he struck a portion of the passing engine in his descent, and fell between the moving train and the platform. he lay still on about two feet of ground between the line and the side of the platform, and when the train had been shunted back he rose practically uninjured. He suffered considerably from shock, but after a time was able to resume duty. 

– Dundee Courier, Thursday 9th August, 1906, p.3. 

   The other morning about half-a-dozen skeps of bees had to change trains at Irvine G. & S.-W. Station on their way from Ayr to Brodick. The unloading from the Ayr train was managed without mishap, but when the loading on to the Ardrossan train was about half-way through something went wrong with the internal arrangement of one of the skeps, and out buzzed the bees in thousands, enveloping the van, porters, station officials, and one or two bee experts who were travelling along with the consignment in a perfect cloud. The passengers had fortunately all been seated in their carriages before the mishap took place, but amongst other folks, who were on the platform at the time the incident naturally caused something of a sensation. The railway officials and experts, however, kept cool and collected in a manner that was most creditable at least to the officials, who were not experienced men in the matter of handling bees, and continued to pack the remaining skeps into the van, which, like the atmosphere round it, contained a pretty dense bee population to the cubic foot. The skep which caused the trouble was replaced on the platform, and one of the experts went into the van beside his hives, and a proportion of his loose bees, to look after them on the journey. After the train had left the platform the remaining hive was transferred to an adjacent field, and a goodly proportion of the insects made their way back to it. 

– Kilmarnock Herald and North Ayrshire Gazette, Friday 10th August, 1906, p.4. 


   While James Watson, 404 Great Northern Road, Woodside, was engaged in shunting operations at Kittybrewster Railway Station yesterday morning, he was struck and knocked down by a passing engine, which he failed to observe coming in his direction. Fortunately, Watson escaped with a few bruises to his head and back. Dr Christie, Woodside, was early in attendance, and attended to the injuries, after which Watson was taken home. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Friday 10th August, 1906, p.4. 

   FATAL ACCIDENT ON HIGHLAND RAILWAY. – Another accident occurred on Saturday afternoon at Dalnacardoch, on the railway between Dalwhinnie and Dalnaspidal station, by which a foreman surfaceman on that section, Angus Mackenzie, was run down by a pilot engine, and was so severely injured that he died shortly afterwards. Deceased was about fifty years of age, and leaves a widow and family. 

– Scotsman, Monday 13th August, 1906, p.7. 



   A railway smash occurred yesterday on the Caledonian Railway at Kilwinning on the departure of the 10.15 from Glasgow Central to Ardrossan from Kilwinning Station. The engine of the Irvine branch train was shunting with a view to picking up carriages. Instead of taking the points for the Irvine branch line where they lay, the engine continued on the main line, with the result that it crashed into a goods train coming up from Ardrossan direction. Both engines were much damaged, the goods engine together with several waggons, leaving the metals. The drivers of the trains escaped with trifling injuries, driver Johnstone of the Irvine train suffering most. He sustained a bad cut on the face, but declared himself fit to continue his duties. The main up line was completely blocked, and the traffic had to be conducted on the single down line. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Tuesday 14th August, 1906, p.6. 

   A remarkable accident, resulting in more or less serious injury to eleven persons, occurred on the Caledonian Railway line near Uddingston on Monday night. A fruit van, which had been detached at a previous station, followed the train – a passenger one – down an incline for several miles, and when the train stopped the van dashed into it with terrific force. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 15th August, 1906, p.4. 



   Renton, Friday. – On the Dumbarton and Balloch joint railway line at Dalreoch last night a man named John McAltear, larbourer, William Street, Dumbarton, was accidentally knocked down by an express train coming from Rutherglen to Balloch. McAltear had been crossing the metals near Dalreoch Station, when the accident occurred. he was taken to Dalreoch Station, where he succumbed to his injuries within half an hour, never regaining consciousness. his body was terribly mangled. 

   Glasgow, Friday. – A shocking accident occurred this morning at the Gushetfaulds depot of the Caledonian Railway off Cathcart Road, Glasgow. A fish porter named Samuel Hendry (twenty-nine years of age), residing at 122 Charlotte Street, was crossing the line and failed to observe the approach of a light engine, with the result that he was knocked down and killed. The unfortunate man’s head was completely shattered, and death was instantaneous. the body was conveyed to the mortuary at the Southern Police Office. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Friday 17th August, 1906, p.2. 

   ENGINE-DRIVER’S TERRIBLE DEATH. – frank Robertson, engine-driver, 176 Denbeath, Methil, met with a terrible accident on Friday night. He had been walking on the Wemyss Coal Company’s railway line near the level crossing known as Lambert’s Gate, when he was knocked down by a passing engine. He sustained fearful injuries, one of his arms and one of his legs being completely severed from the body. Dr Anderson had him conveyed in the ambulance to Kirkcaldy Cottage hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries early on Saturday morning. He was 30 years of age, unmarried, and resided with his mother, for whom great sympathy is felt. 

– Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian, Saturday 18th August, 1906, p.3. 

Level Crossing Accident. 


   On Wednesday forenoon about 10.45 an accident of a somewhat serious nature took place at the level crossing at Home Farm Rows. A lad, Jack Burrows, and two other boys named Kelly and Gardiner, had crossed the line with furniture for people residing in one of the houses at the top of the incline which descends to Home Farm Colliery. When returning, the lads stopped the pony and van to wait till the 10.40 a.m. train from Larkhall Central would pass. On the pony getting restive, Burrows stuck to the horse’s head, but despite his efforts he was dragged on to the line, with the result that the horse was struck by the buffers of the engine, while Burrows was tossed on to the embankment. The other two lads, who were seated in the van, managed to scramble off, and escaped with a few slight bruises. 

   The horse was killed, and the van smashed. Dr Morrison of Larkhall, who happened to be in the train, attended to the wounded lad. He was very seriously injured, his head being badly smashed, while he received injuries on other parts of the body. He was taken to the Infirmary, and is progressing favourably. 

   In the past several accidents have occurred at the same place – one well-known individual in the town losing an arm here when a boy. A number of years ago, while proceeding to his work at Home Farm Colliery one dark morning, a miner had the misfortune to get both his legs taken off at this same place. The miner in question is frequently to be seen in the streets of Hamilton seated on a pram and playing a small organ, by which he makes a livelihood. The gates here are very seldom used. Messrs Hamilton McCulloch & Co.’s carts being almost the only traffic. There is a stile for the convenience of the workers at Home Farm Colliery, and those residing on the north side of the railway. 

   There are four level crossings between Larkhall and Ferniegair – one at Summerlee, which is never used for vehicular traffic at all; while the others are at Merryton, Home Farm, and Allanton. Accidents, however, have been very rare, considering the large number of people who use these crossings. 

– Hamilton Herald and Lanarkshire Weekly News, Saturday 18th August, 1906, p.5. 







   One of the most alarming railway accidents which has taken place for some time in the West of Scotland occurred at the Saltcoats Station of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Company about four o’clock on Saturday afternoon. The primary cause was the breaking on an axle of the engine of a mineral train, which blocked the up line from Stevenston to Saltcoats. The passenger traffic, which was very heavy, had in consequence to be worked by hand signalling on the down line. Among the trains delayed were the 2.10 and 2.25 p.m. from St Enoch to Largs. The firstmentioned ran past the platform at Saltcoats, and was then shunted back. A number of the passengers had left the train, but the compartments still contained many more, when, through some cause which has not yet been ascertained, the 2.25 came round the curve and dashed into the rear of the stationary train. 

   The crash was great, and the rear coach of the stationary train, a “bogey brake third,” consisting of a guard’s van and two third-class compartments, was telescoped into the one preceding it – a third-class coach – and badly wrecked. Fortunately for him, the guard was on the platform at the time, just about top signal his train away, or there is little doubt he would have been seriously injured if not killed, for his van was wrecked. The other compartments of the coach were also badly damaged – so much so that one passenger, Henry Young, Duke Street, Glasgow, was jammed in the woodwork. He was caught under the seat, and terribly injured about the legs, and it was with the greatest difficulty that the woodwork was broken down sufficiently to allow of his extrication. James Young, a brother, was also seriously injured. 

   The station staff lost no time in attending to the injured and pacifying the other passengers; but the station, which is centrally situated, was soon the scene of consternation and excitement, a crowd struggling to get to the damaged carriages. Mr Robert brown, the stationmaster, who secured the assistance of some of the cooler heads, also sent a hasty message to the police station; and in response there were soon several police officers busy amongst the wreckage which strewed the line. the station was a mass of confusion, and the efforts of those able and willing to help were hampered by the crushing of the inquisitive crowd, eager to see what was to be seen. Several doctors were soon on the scene, and with the help of the station staff and their bandages and stretcher, the wounded were speedily attended to, the more seriously hurt being placed in the station offices until they could be removed. 

   So far as is known, all the more seriously injured, with the exception of the two men Henry and James Young, were removed to their homes. The Youngs were conveyed to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, and on inquiry at that institution yesterday it was learned that Henry Young was going on as well as could be expected, while the other patient, who had no bones broken, was making very satisfactory progress. James McNill, who was removed to his home in Mount Florida, was yesterday reported to be in a somewhat critical condition. The list contains the names of many whose injuries were comparatively trifling, and the majority of these passengers proceeded to their destinations. One of the doctors who was called to the scene of the accident a few minutes after it occurred stated to a representative that the first thing that attracted his attention after the pile of wreckage was the crows of passengers on the platform holding handkerchiefs to their heads. 

   John Freer, son of Walter Freer, manager of the Corporation suite of halls, had a remarkable escape with only slight injuries. He was a passenger with the ten minutes past two train from Glasgow, and when the accident occurred he was pitched through the open window of the compartment on to the station platform, sustaining bruises to his thigh and hands. 

   Mr T. C. Watson, house painter, 160 Kent Road, Glasgow, was in the carriage which was telescoped, and had a marvellous escape. He is practically uninjured. He says that when the train ran through Saltcoats he heard a whistle, which he took to be some signal. He was near the door, and looked to see what was wrong, and kept looking out until the train stopped. Just at that moment he saw another engine coming round the curve, and he leapt on to the platform. When he looked round, the carriage which he had been in was wrecked, and nearly all the occupants were injured. there were ten in the compartment when the train left Paisley, but at Kilwinning four more passengers entered making a complement of fourteen. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Monday 20th August, 1906, p.3. 


   A miner named James Neilson, 60 Dean Cottages, Newtongrange, employed by the Newbattle Coal Company, while walking along the railway line near Dalhousie Station yesterday, was knocked down by a passing train. He was immediately removed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where he was found to have received a compound fracture of the left leg. He died in the Infirmary about half-past eight last night. 

– Edinburgh Evening News, Tuesday 21st August, 1906, p.2. 



   Alexandria, Thursday. – A shocking accident occurred on the Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Railway line at Alexandria Station between last night and this morning, whereby a man named Laurence McKenzie, thirty-eight years, Main Street, Balloch, was killed. He was returning home from visiting the shows at Dumbarton Fair, and is supposed to have come out of the train at Alexandria Station instead of Balloch. His body was discovered this morning on the up line, dreadfully mutilated, the head being off, while the face was badly smashed. Deceased was married, and leaves a wife and two of a family. He was employed at Balloch Station. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Thursday 23rd August, 1906, p.2. 

   FATAL ACCIDENT AT LIVINGSTONE. – Early on Monday morning Patrick Gillespie, labourer (24), residing at 205 Pumpherston Rows, Mid-Calder, was run down by an express train and killed on the North British Railway about half a mile east of Livingstone railway station. The unfortunate man, who had only come from Ireland quite recently, had been walking in a westerly direction along the line, with the intention of reaching a point where some platelayers were working, in the hope of receiving employment, when he was overtaken by the train. A curve in the line made it impossible for the engine-driver to see Gillespie until he was close upon him. He, however, sounded the whistle and endeavoured to pull up the train. In the case of the deceased it is supposed that the prevalence of a strong wind prevented him hearing the whistle. When he was discovered life was extinct, and it was found that one of his legs was almost severed from his body, his right arm broken, and his head badly injured. The police had the body removed to the mortuary at Livingstone, and communicated with deceased’s friends in Ireland. 

– Linlithgowshire Gazette, Friday 24th August, 1906, p.4. 


   Daniel Harkins (22), railway surfaceman, who resided at the Glen, near Falkirk, was found on Saturday night lying in an unconscious condition on the Caledonian Railway, near the entrance to Dobbie’s Loan tunnel. It was found that both legs were severed from the body, and he is believed to have been run over by a passing train. He died on Sunday. 


   On Saturday morning the driver of a goods train discovered the body of a man lying a little beyond the No. 2 signal box of the Glasgow and South-Western railway, near Irvine. It was identified as that of William Perie, one of the Company’s employees at Irvine. He was twenty-eight years of age. 

– Strathearn Herald, Saturday 25th August, 1906, p.2. 



   A signalman named John Craigie, who is employed at Kelty Cabin, and resides at the Station Cottages, ran a very narrow escape of serious accident at Kelty Station on Saturday. Craigie had just been relieved, and was passing in front of the twelve o’clock train on his way home, when he was taken unawares by the pilot engine shunting, and knocked down on the metals. Fortunately the driver of the pilot engine had noticed the danger Craigie was in, and applied the brake, and Craigie, having the presence of mind to draw his legs clear, escaped with bruises to his arms and legs. As showing the narrowness of his escape, the sole of one of his boots was torn off. 

– Fifeshire Advertiser, Saturday 25th August, 1906, p.3. 



   A man was found yesterday morning in an unconscious condition on the six-foot way of the North British Railway at Whitrope Tunnel, near Riccarton Junction, Hawick. He had been travelling with the express train which left Edinburgh on Thursday night, and it appears that when the train entered the tunnel he rose and open3ed the door, apparently under the impression that he was going into the corridor, and he fell out of the carriage. The other passengers brought the train to a stop by using the communication cord, and a search party found the man in the tunnel lying bleeding, with serious injuries to his head and face. He was removed to Hawick Station and hence to Hawick Cottage Hospital, where it was found that he was suffering from a serious compound fracture of the skull, with part of the brain protruding, and a smashed nose. He is still in an unconscious state, and his condition is very critical. Papers in his possession showed that he is W. A. Pike, professional to Heriot Cricket Club, Edinburgh. he is a native of Nottinghamshire. 

– Aberdeen Press and Journal, Saturday 25th August, 1906, p.6. 

   RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT MONTROSE. – On Saturday afternoon the six rear vehicles of a North British goods train left the rails between Montrose station and the north cabin on her way to Aberdeen. The accident is supposed to have been caused by the vehicles missing the points. One of them consisted of a truck laden with cattle, while the other five consisted of three empty cattle trucks, a meat van, and a guards van. The permanent way was seriously damaged for a distance of over 100 yards, and the points on both sides were all rendered useless. Although happening on the main line to the North, the loop has fortunately escaped, and traffic was conducted along it while a squad from Dundee were engaged repairing the damage. 

– Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Monday 27th August, 1906, p.2. 

   ACCIDENT TO DUNDEE FIREMAN. – As the 4.15 p.m. train was leaving St Andrews Station on Saturday a fireman named George Louden, of Dundee, was knocked down. he had been walking along the line, and failed to observe the approach of the train. The engine-driver, however, saw him, and was able to slacken speed considerably ere Louden was struck. As it was, Louden was thrown heavily on to the bank. Dr Orr was speedily on the spot, and the patient was removed in the ambulance to the Cottage Hospital, where he was found to be suffering mainly from shock. 

– Dundee Courier, Monday 27th August, 1906, p.4. 



Police Inspector Cut to Pieces. 

   About four o’clock this morning the driver of a passenger engine going westward observed the body of a man who had been cut to pieces on the line at Dunbar. He reversed his engine and informed the station authorities. Mr Bruce, stationmaster, and his night staff went at once in search of the body, which they identified as that of Police-Inspector John Scott by his uniform and pocketbook. 

   The inspector had been patrolling the line ever since the outrage at Beltonford some two months ago, and he was known to have done that duty last night. Apparently he had just got on to the line at the bridge where the mailbag apparatus stands, when he was cut down. His remains were carried along the line for sixty yards. 

   Inspector Scott had been about 37 years in the force, and was much esteemed. 

   Another message from Dunbar says:- Inspector Scott, who was one of the best-known police officials in Scotland, was run down by the London East Coast express. Recently an attempt was made to wreck a London train by placing several heavy obstacles on the metals, and since then it had been the inspector’s custom with a detachment of his men to patrol the line almost nightly. 

   Mr Scott would shortly have been entitled to a pension. 

– Dundee Evening Telegraph, Tuesday 28th August, 1906, p.2. 

Leave a Reply