Portraits (continued.), pp.41-63.
Lent by Sir David Carrick-Buchanan, K.C.B., of Drumpellier.
155. ROBERT CARRICK of Braco.
Born, 1737; died, 1821.
Banker. Son of the Rev. Robert Carrick, minister of the parish of Houston. his mother was a daughter of the Rev. John Simson,Professor of Divinity, Glasgow College, from 1708 till 1740. She was a sister of the wife of Dr. John Moore, consequently Mr. Carrick and Sir John Moore were first cousins. He entered the service of the banking firm of Dunlop, Houston & Co., otherwise the “Ship Bank,” at the age of fifteen, under the auspices of Provost Andrew Buchanan of Drumpellier, in whose family his father had been tutor. He rose step by step in consequence of his attention to his duties and financial ability, till he became manager and partner of the bank about 1775, and the title of the firm became Moore, Carrick & Co. Subsequently it became Carrick, Brown & Co., and continued under that firm till 1836, when the “Ship Bank” was amalgamated with the “Glasgow Bank” under the style of the “Glasgow and Ship Bank,” which in its turn was in 1843 merged in the “Union Bank.” He was a bailie in 1796, and Dean of Guild in 1802, 1803.
Lent by Sheriff Hubert Hamilton.
161. Thomas HAMILTON.
Born at Glasgow, 1790; died at Pisa, 1842.
An officer in the 29th Regiment of Infantry. Author of “Cyril Thornton,” “Annals of the Peninsular Campaign,” and “Men and Manners in America.” Brother of Sir William Hamilton, Bart., of Preston (No. 341A), and son of Dr. William Hamilton, Professor of Anatomy in the University of Glasgow, by Elizabeth, daughter of William Stirling, founder of William Stirling & Sons. (See Nos. 96, 97.)
PAINTER – Sir John Watson Gordon, R.A., P.R.S.A.
Lent by John Murray, Publisher, London.
162. THOMAS CAMPBELL, LL.D.
Born at Glasgow, 1777; died at Boulogne, 1844.
Poet. Son of a Glasgow merchant. Born in the High Street of Glasgow, and educated at the Grammar School and College of Glasgow. In 1799 he published “The Pleasures of Hope,” his first poem, and subsequently took his place in the foremost rank of the poets of the day. In 1826 elected Lord Rector of the University of Glasgow; and honour enhanced by his re-election three successive terms. The Senatus Academicus conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Laws. (See Nos. 1476, 1841, 2577-2579, 2606, 2693.)
PAINTER – Thomas Phillips, R.A. This picture has been engraved in stipple.
Lent by Mrs. Cameron.
306. HUGH MACDONALD.
Born, 1817; died, 1860.
Descriptive author, and poet. Reporter on the staff of the Glasgow Citizen. A poetical and prose writer of much graphic power and sentiment, principally known for his “Rambles round Glasgow,” “Days at the Coast,” and his characteristic Scottish lyrics. (See Nos. 397, 1673-1675.)
PAINTER – A. S. Mackay.
Lent by Lieut.-General Sir William Stirling Hamilton, Bart.
341A. SIR WILLIAM HAMILTON, Bart., of Preston and Fingalton.
Born at Glasgow, 1788; died at Edinburgh, 1856.
Advocate. Professor of Logic and Metaphysics in the University of Edinburgh. Son of Dr. William Hamilton, Professor of Anatomy and Botany in the University of Glasgow. His mother was Elizabeth, daughter of William Stirling, merchant in Glasgow, heir male of the Stirlings of Bankier and Lettyr. Sir William’s grandfather, Dr. Thomas Hamilton, and his granduncle, Dr. Robert Hamilton, were medical professors in the University. They were of the family of Hamilton of Airdrie – a cadet of that of Preston, which again was the oldest branch of the ducal house of Hamilton. Through this relationship Sir William established his right to the baronetcy of Preston, which was assigned to him by a jury before the Sheriff of Edinburgh in 1816. Sir William Hamilton studied at the University of Glasgow, and proceeded to Balliol College, Oxford, as a Snell Exhibitioner in 1807. His career at Oxford is one of the most brilliant on record. He was appointed to the chair of Universal History in Edinburgh in 1821, and to the chair of Logic and Metaphysics in 1836, and this he occupied until his death, in 1856.
Coloured chalk drawing, 1854.
Lent by the Mitchell Library.
522. WILLIAM MOTHERWELL.
Born, 1797; died, 1st November, 1835.
Editor and author. His first literary occupation was assisting in the compilation of the “Bibliotheca Britannica.” In 1827 he edited a valuable collection of ballads, under the title of “Minstrelsy, Ancient and Modern.” He was editor of The Paisley Advertiser and of a high-class literary work called The Paisley Magazine. In 1830 he became editor of The Glasgow Courier, which he conducted till his death with great ability and success In 1832 he published a volume of original pieces entitled “Poems Narrative and Lyrical,” which was most favourably received. About the same time he supplied his friend Andrew Henderson with an excellent preface for a collection of Scottish Proverbs. Besides other work, Motherwell edited, with James Hogg, the Ettrick Shepherd, and edition of the poems of Robert Burns. (See Nos. 1337, 2588.)
Wax Medallion by James Fillans, W.S.A.
Domestic and Miscellaneous Articles (continued.), pp.350-354.
Lent by George R. Alexander.
1640. Walking Stick. Used by the late John Henry Alexander. (See No. 415.)
Lent by John Denholm of The Mains.
1671. Rapier Cane.
Lent by J. Barclay Murdoch of Capelrig.
1677A. Silver-headed Malacca Staff, with engraved Setoun Coat of Arms.
Lent by Mrs. Maxwell.
1696. Walking Stick. Belonged to Captain Patoun (No. 344B) in 1796.
Lent by John Denholm of The Mains.
1926. Brown Silk Umbrella. Used in last century.
Lent by Thomas Morton.
1930. Gingham Umbrella. Used early in this century.
Lent by John Denholm of The Mains.
1931. Green Silk Umbrella. Used in last century.
Lent by Alexander Muray.
Lent by W. S. Macdonald.
1992A. Ancient Caledonian Harp. Replica made by Glen of Edinburgh.
The only specimens of the Ancient Caledonian Harp now in existence are the two in the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries, Edinburgh, known respectively as the “Lamont Harp” and “The Queen Mary Harp.” The harp was the principal musical instrument of Western Scotland in “Ossianic” times. It was played by the bards both o the battlefield and in the banqueting hall, but as an instrument of martial music it was eventually superseded by the bagpipe. (See “An Historical Enquiry respecting the Performanceon the Harp in the HIghlands of Scotland, from the earliest times until it was discontinued, about the year 1734. By John Gunn, F.A.O.E. Edinburgh, 1807.”)
Lent by the Trutees of the late Adam Sim of Cultermains.
1993. Organ built by James Watt, 1762.
This instrument was originally constructed by James Watt for his own use, and was left in Glasgow when he removed to Birmingham in 1776. About 1815 it came into the hands of James Steven, a music-seller in Wilson Street, and was then in the form of a small table about 3 feet square, without any external appearance of a musical instrument. Mr. Steven added an organ front, with gilt pipes and sides. It was shortly afterwards purchased by the late Archibald McLellan (No. 225), who placed in it an additional reed stop. At his death the instrument was brought by J. G. Adam of Denovan and, on his decease, it passed into the possession of Adam Sim of Cultermains, whose trustees are the lenders.
In Entrance Hall., pp.354-355.
[No Illustrations for this Section]