Saints Getulius and companions, martyrs, 2nd century. St Landry, or Landericus, Bishop of Paris, confessor, 7th century. St Margaret, Queen of Scotland, 1093. Blessed Henry, or Rigo if Treviso, confessor, 1315.
Born. – James Short, maker of reflecting telescopes, 1710, Edinburgh.
Died. – Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, 1190, Cilicia; James Smith, promoter of sub-soil ploughing, 1850, Kinzeancleuch, Ayrshire.
On this Day in Other Sources.
Jocelin, Abbot of the Cistercian monastery of Melros, was the next bishop, “a clero, a populo exigente et rege ipso assentiente, ad ecclesiam Glasguensem presul eligitur, 10. kalendas Junii  apud Pert in Scotia; vir mitis et morigeratus, vir mansuetus et moderatus.”1
– Sketches, pp.29-70.
1 Chron. Mailr.
The King [James V.] now espoused, for his second wife, Mary of Guise, the widowed Duchess of Longueville, the eldest daughter of Claude, Duke of Guise, by Antoinette de Bourbon, a princess of the blood. Mary arrived, at Fifeness, on the 10th of June 1538. She thence proceeded to St. Andrews, where she was welcomed, by the King, who carried her to the new palace, within the Abbey. Here, did the King, and Queen, remain forty days, with great merriness, saith the contemporary Pitscottie: “Such as justing, running at the lists, archery, hunting, and hawking, with singing, and dancing, in masking, and playing at all other princely games, according to a king and queen.” Similar sports, and rejoicings, took place, in various other parts of Scotland, which show, at once, the hilarity of the people, and the manners of the age.
– Life of Mary, pp.9-15.
Mary of Guise, with a sorely diminished court, took up her residence in the fortress [of Edinburgh Castle]; she was received with every respect by Lord Erskine, who, as the holder of the Queen’s garrison, was strictly neutral between the contending parties. The Reformers were now in arms with the English auxiliaries, so the French, who had waged war through all Fife and the Lothians, were compelled to keep within the ramparts of Leith, the operations against which the fair Regent, though labouring under a mortal illness, which the cares of state had aggravated, watched daily from the summit of David’s Tower. Her illness, a virulent dropsical affection, increased. She did not live to see the fall of Leith, but died on the 10th of June, 1560.
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.32-47.
According to the usual policy in such cases, the government issued a proclamation commanding the possessors of grain to thrash it out before the 10th of June , under the pain of escheating, and that no person should keep more victual than was sufficient to serve him and his family a quarter of a year, the rest to be brought to the market within twenty days. It was also ordered, that no grain should be taken forth of the kingdom, but ‘strangers bringing in victual should be favourably enterteened and thankfully paid.’ – Cal. This proclamation, being entirely accordant with the prejudices of the masses, was ‘mickle commendit.’ – Moy.
– Domestic Annals, pp.56-80.
The 10th day of June, this year , Queen Anna, together with her eldest son, Prince Henry, took her journey for England; and the day after them, the Princess Lady Elizabeth took [her] journey.
– Historical Works, pp.340-416.
2366. Hampton (Christopher). A Sermon preached in the Cittie of Glasco in Scotland, on the Tenth day of June, 1610. London, 1611.
Dr. Christopher Hampton was one of the three English doctors who attended the Earl of Dunbar as King’s Commissioner at the General Assembly at Glasgow in 1610. In 1613 he became Archbishop of Armagh, and died 1634.
– Memorial Catalogue, Gallery 1.
Taken seriatim, the records of the Tolbooth contain volumes of entries made in the following brief fashion:-
“1662, June 10. – John Kincaid put in ward by warrant of the Lords of the Privy Council, for ‘pricking of persons suspected of witchcraft unwarrantably.’ Liberated on finding caution not to do so again.
“- June 10. – Robert Binning for falsehood; hanged with the false papers about his neck.
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.123-138.
Gossiping Wodrow tells us in his “Analecta,” that, on the 10th of June, 1712, “The birthday of the Pretender, I hear there has been great outrages at Edinburgh by his friends. His health was drunk early in the morning in the Parliament Close; and at night, when the magistrates were going through the streets to keep the peace, several were taken up in disguise, and the King’s health (i.e., James VIII.) was drunk out of several windows, and the glasses thrown over the windows when the magistrates passed by, and many windows were illuminated. At Leith there was a standard set upon the pier, with a thistle and Nemo me impune lacessit, and J. R. VIII.; and beneath, Noe Abjuration. This stood a great part of the day.”
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.174-182.
June 10 . – Occurred this day at Edinburgh a thunder-storm, attended with such remarkable effects, that an account of it was published on a broadside. It was little, perhaps, that it frightened the people off the streets, caused the garrison at the castle to look well to the powder-magazine, and killed a man and a woman at Lasswade. What attracted particular attention was the fate of a tavern company at Canonmills, where two barbers from the Lawnmarket had come to celebrate the Pretender’s birthday over a bottle of ale. They had just drunk to the health of their assumed monarch – one of the company had remarked with a curse how the bells were not rung or the castle guns fired on ‘the king’s birthday – when a great thunder-clap broke over the house. ‘The people on earth,’ cried one of the party, ‘will not adore their king; but you hear the Almighty is complimenting him with a volley from heaven.’ At that moment came a second stroke, which instantaneously killed one of the barbers and a woman, and scorched a gentleman so severely that he died in a few hours. ‘The rest of the company, being amazed, sent to Edinburgh for doctors to take blood of the gentleman; but the doctors told them they could do no good. They tried to let blood of him, but found none. their bodies were as soft as wool.’
– Domestic Annals, pp.390-397.
GLASGOW ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (10th June ). – The Rev. Dr. Metcalfe read a paper on “Celtic Ecclesiology,” limiting his remarks chiefly to the architectural style and arrangements of the Celtic church. He demonstrated that at the beginning of the fourth century there was a regularly organised church in the Roman provinces of Britain, and that previous to the beginning of the sixth century there were Scots or Irish who believed in Christ. Religious structures were of two kinds – those erected for public worship, and monastic buildings. Public worship was probably first conducted in the open air, as, e.g., in the case of S. Boniface in Germany. “Clach” signifies a stone, and “clachan,” stones, a church – as Clachan Michel, Michael’s Church. From the highlands of Perthshire to Harris, the Gaelic term signifying “the stones” was used as synonymous with “the church.” Caves or excavations were used as places of worship, with stone altars, so that in Ireland as well as in Rome there were underground churches, used at first probably during persecution. Churches were made of clay, more commonly of wood, and at a later period of stone. So early, however, as the beginning of the fifth century a stone church was built by S. Ninian at Whitherne with the aid of masons obtained from St. Martin of Tours. Stone did not come into general use until after the first invasion by the Danes, A.D. 794.
– Scots Lore, pp.335-340.