St Pantaenus, father of the church, 3d century. St Felix, bishop of Nantes, confessor, 584. St Willibald, bishop of Aichstadt, confessor, 790. St Benedict XI., pope and confessor, 1304.
Born. – Emperor Nicolas of Russia, 1796.
Died. – John Huss, burned at Constance, 1415; Dr Thomas Blacklock, ‘the blind poet,’ 1791, Edinburgh; Richard Brinsley Sheridan, 1816, London.
On this Day in Other Sources.
From a very early period – long anterior to the present Cathedral – there must have been a church at or near the spot where Kentigern resided. The first church no doubt was a very humble structure, but we have no record of what it was previous to the twelfth century. David having refounded the see and appointed John to be bishop, that prelate proceeded to rebuild the old church which he found there, and the new structure was dedicated on the nones [7th] of July, 1136. A great part of it was probably of wood, and not long afterwards it was destroyed by fire. Bishop Jocelin, who was consecrated in 1174, probably repaired this original structure. He certainly added to it, and he founded a society to collect funds for the purpose. For this he obtained the royal sanction and protection, by a charter granted by William the Lion in 1190, in which the king states that the original erection had been destroyed by fire “in these our days.” In the year 1197 the new Cathedral was dedicated.
– Old Glasgow, pp.104-116.
We know, that on the nones [7th] of July 1136, the newly built church of Glasgow was dedicated. On that occasion the king, David I., gave to the church the land of Perdeyc, which was soon afterwards erected, along with the church of Govan, into a prebend of the cathedral.
– Sketches, pp.29-70.
The year 1294, being the 3rd year of the reign of the Emperor Adolf, on the 7th of July, Peter of Morrone, Abbot of St. Benevento, was elected Pope, by the name Celestine V., one not fit for affairs. He willingly resigned the Papacy, the 13th day of December this same year; and in his place, the 24th day of the said month, Cardinal [Benedetto] Caetani was elected Pope, by the name of Boniface VIII.
– Historical Works, pp.77-88.
King Edward by this time had reached Carlisle, and thinking his health improved he hung up his litter in the cathedral, and once more mounted his war-horse. He reached Burgh-on-the-Sands in sight of Scotland, and there died on the 7th of July, 1307. When near his end he gave orders that his flesh should be stripped from his bones, and that these should be carried before the English army till Scotland was subdued. His son did not carry out his wishes, but caused him to be buried in Westminster, and put this inscription on his tomb, “Here lie the hammer of the Scots.”
– A History of Scotland, Chapter II.
Mons. D’Essé, with five, or six thousand French troops, arrived, in Scotland. The representations of the dowager Queen had obtained, from the wisdom of Henry II. [of France], this aid, at a critical moment. The English had seized, and fortified Hadington. And, the presence, of the French troops enabled the Queen mother to obtain the unanimous assent of the Estates, for offering their sovereign in marriage to the Dauphin, as well as, her personal residence, in France. To effectuate those purposes, the Governor assembled a Parliament, in the abbey of Hadington, on the 7th of July 1548. In this meeting of the Estates, in which the Queen dowager was present, they “all in one voice,” adopted the beforementioned resolutions. The French gallies, which then lay in the harbour of Leith, were ordered to proceed round to the Clyde; pilots being collected, from the eastern ports of Scotland, for conducting them, through an intricate navigation, on this deceptive voyage.
– Life of Mary, pp.9-15.
The last onslaughter on its soil, though little else than the hasty squabble of irascible men at a Border tryst, was followed by consequences of pacification which invest it with interest and importance. On the 7th of July, 1575, some Scotsmen, resenting the unprovoked or unjustifiable slaughter of one of their countrymen, made a vengeful attack on the offenders, and were repulsed. But meeting in their flight a body of the men of Jedburgh who joined them, they wheeled round on their pursuers, completely routed them, killed Sir George Heron, an eminent Northumbrian, and carried prisoners to Dalkeith, Sir John Forster, the warden, and some considerable persons, his attendants. Elizabeth of England being enraged at the event, the Earl of Huntington as her envoy, and the Regent Morton on the part of Scotland, met at Foulden in Berwickshire, and arranged a general pacification. The scene of the conflict was the Reid Swire, one of the Cheviot hills on the boundary with England, – the word ‘swire’ meaning ‘a neck,’ and being used in the nomenclature of Scottish topography to denote the neck of a hill. The skirmish has supplied the Border minstrels with a subject for song, entitled ‘the Raid of the Red Swire.’
– Gazetteer of Scotland, Jedburgh, pp.60-67.
The fair began on the 7th of July [from 1577], and continued for eight days, and during that period, as I have already mentioned, no one frequenting the fair could be taken for debt, nor could a runaway serf be seized by his master during “the peace of the fair.” The proclamation of the fair was an important ceremony, and in Glasgow it continued to be made till at least the early part of the eighteenth century – probably till a later period.
– Old Glasgow, pp.276-289.
‘Upon the seventh of July , the corpse of the Earl of Athole being convoyit to Dunblane, was carried forth thereof the direct way to Dunfermline, where they remained that night. Upon the morn, they passed forth to Edinburgh , where a great number of friends were convenit to the burial. Upon the tenth day, [the body of the earl] was honourably convoyit with his friends from Haliroodhouse to St Giles’ Kirk, where he was buried on the east side of the altar on the south side of the church.‘
– Domestic Annals, pp.56-80.
On July 7th, 1602, the Convention of Burghs adjourned till the following convention a complaint by Renfrew against Glasgow for uplifting from the inhabitants of the latter burgh sixpence on every thousand herrings coming to the bridge.1
– Scots Lore, pp.15-29.
1 Convention Records, ii. 151.
In July , the famine ‘increased daily, till at last many, both in burgh and land, died of hunger. Many poor came to Edinburgh for succour, of which number some died in the streets.’ A fast was held on account of the calamity; ‘the sermons began every day in the week at seven hours, and ended at nine. Immediately after the fast was ended, that same night, 7th of July, there was such a fire in the heaven, with thunder and fire-flaught, that the hearers and beholders thought verily that the day of judgment was come.’ – Cal.
– Domestic Annals, pp.177-227.
July 7 (Sunday) . – A solemn fast and humiliation was kept throughout Scotland, on account of backsliding from the Covenant and the prevalence of vice and godlessness; as also to entreat the favour of Heaven for the Parliamentary arms, and to pray for the filling of the king’s heart with the love of reformation. A fast in those days was a reality. In Old Aberdeen, the people entered the church at nine o’clock, and continued hearing prayers and sermons till two. They might have then dismissed for a space, but they sat still hearing ‘reading’ till the commencement of afternoon service, which ended at six. Then the bell rang for evening prayers, which continued till seven. – Spal.
– Domestic Annals, pp.257-277.
The Royal arms, with the date of 1650, suggest that it must have been provided to do honour to the visit which Charles II. made to Aberdeen, 7th July 1650, or on the 25th February following, while he was still King of Scotland.
– Sketches, pp.254-324.
This summer was remarkable for clear, dry, warm weather, parching up the herbage, and producing exceedingly light crops on the best lands. The harvest commenced in June, and in a field near Dundee there were stooks on the 7th of July .
– Domestic Annals, pp.278-301.
M’Ure in his View of the City states that the bridge remained entire till 7th July, 1671 – the day on which Glasgow fair was held – when, about twelve o’clock, the southermost arch fell…1
– Scots Lore, pp.15-29.
1 View of the City of Glasgow, p.15.
July 7 . – The Bank of England, projected by the same William Paterson, amidst and by favour of the difficulties of the public exchequer during King William’s expensive continental wars, may be said to have commenced its actual banking operations on the first day of this year. Considerable attention was drawn to the subject in London, and the establishment of a similar bank in both Ireland and Scotland became matter of speculation. There was in London an almost retired merchant named John Holland, who thought hereafter of spending his time chiefly in rural retirement. To him came one day a friend, a native of Scotland, who was inspired with a strong desire to see a bank established in his country. He desired that Mr Holland would think of it. ‘Why,’ said the latter, ‘I have nearly withdrawn from all such projects, and think only of how I may spend the remainder of my days in peace.’ ‘Think of it,’ said his Scottish friend; ‘and if you will enter into the scheme, I can assure you of having an act of our parliament for it on your own conditions.’
Mr Holland accordingly drew out a sketch of a plan for a bank in Scotland, which his friend, in a very few days thereafter, had transfused into a parliamentary bill of the Scottish form. He had also spoken, he said, to most of his countrymen of any mercantile importance in London to engage their favour for the scheme. Mr Holland was readily induced to lend his aid in further operations, and the project appears to have quickly come to a bearing, for, little more than six months from the opening of the Bank of England, the act for the Bank of Scotland had passed the native parliament.
– Domestic Annals, pp.355-378.
“Yesterday (July 1st) an Express came from Scotland.
One Clifton is taken into Custody for Printing a scandalous Libel, called a Hymn, to the Victory in Scotland, and several of the Hawkers have been taken up and sent to Bridewell for Crying them about the Streets.”
– Pue’s Occurrences, Tuesday 7th July, 1719.
– Treaty of Union Articles, 1700-1750.
“Mr A. MORTON was not at all satisfied that all had been done that was necessary to prevent Stirling Castle from going to decay. So far as he could understand, the only amount in the votes relating to the Castle was £1000 for ordnance store buildings, including the purchase of land. Did the Secretary for War intend to do anything more to restore that castle, and to prevent it being destroyed? With regard to the other castles in Scotland, he saw an item of £300 for Edinburgh Castle, but he regretted that he had been unable to get the Office of Works to do what was right. No doubt some work was in progress at Edinburgh, but so far as he could judge from personal inspection, the right hon. gentleman did not propose to spend enough to put the castle in a satisfactory state, either for its preservation or for the comfort of the troops. Another historical castle was Blackness, which appeared to be allowed to go to ruin; and the only sum for it was to be spent on the reconstruction of a pier. Dumbarton Castle was another historical castle that his attention had been called to. He did not see it mentioned, unless it was included in the lump sum of £1000. He wanted to know whether the right hon. gentleman intended to do something to prevent it going to ruin. These castles were the keys of Scotland, and it was provided in the Treaty of Union that these castles and the two Royal Palaces, to which he had alluded on a former occasion, should be kept up at the expense of the United Kingdom, and they had been grossly neglected by the British Government. Now, however, that they had the War Minister and so many other members of the Government, who, though not all Scotsmen, represented Scottish constituencies, one would think that at last these buildings would be taken proper care of. (Hear, hear.)
Mr WEBSTER called attention to the condition of the old Parliament House of Scotland. At present he thought that the room that was used by the old Parliament of Scotland was being used as dormitory for soldiers, and he thought that instead of that building being so used the Government ought to build other dormitories and keep that historical building for purposes similar to those for which it was originally used – public meetings or for a future Parliament of Scotland. (Laughter.)
– Scotsman, Saturday 7th July, 1894.
– Treaty of Union, 1875-1900.
One thought on “7th of July”