St Bertille, abbess of Chelles, 692.
Born. – Hans Sachs, German poet, 1494, Nuremberg.
Died. – Maria Angelica Kaufmann, portrait-painter, 1807, Rome.
THE REVOLUTION OF 1688: POLITICAL SERVILITY.
On 5th November 1688, William, Prince of Orange, landed in Torbay,.. The privy-council of Scotland express themselves thus: ‘We shall on this, as on all other occasions, shew all possible alacrity and diligence in obeying your majesty’s commands, and be ready to expose our lives and fortunes in the defence of your sacred majesty, your royal consort, his Royal Highness the Prince of Scotland, &c.’ Nor were the Scottish peers, spiritual and temporal, behindhand on this occasion, concluding their declaration as follows: ‘Not doubting that God will still preserve and deliver you, by giving you the hearts of your subjects, and the necks of your enemies.’
To the like effect, there were addresses from Portsmouth, Carlisle, Exeter, &c. Nay, so fond was James [VII.] of this sort of support to his government, that he was content to receive an address from the company of cooks, in which they applaud his ‘Declaration of Indulgence’ to the skies: declaring that it ‘resembled the Almighty’s manna, which suited every man’s palate, and that men’s different gustos might as well be forced as their different apprehensions about religion.’
A very short period elapsed before James was made to comprehend, by fatal experience, the value of such addresses, and to discriminate between the voice of the majority of a nation and the debasing servility of a few trimmers and time-servers.
On this Day in Other Sources.
The 5th of November this same year, [1215,] likewise, died Philip de Valognes, [Lord] Chamberlain to King William, and was interred at the abbey of Melrose.
– Historical Works, pp.38-57.
To the Roman see was elected, [on] the 5th of November , Guillaume de Grimoard, abbot of St. Victor of Marseille, a [Toulousain], born in France; and was called Pope Urban V.
– Historical Works, pp.104-124.
This year, 1414, the 5th of November, began the council of Constance, whereat was present the [King of Hungary] Emperor Sigismund, and Pope John. The occasion of this council’s meeting was to abolish the [papal] schism.
– Historical Works, pp.144-152.
On 5th November, 1497, [John Morrow] had a grant from the king of the lands of Cranston-Riddale. He was then John Murray, Esquire, of Fallohill.1
– Scots Lore, pp.364-374.
1 Reg. Mag. Sig. Scot. ii. 1927.
The two sons of Huntley, with many respectable men of the name of Gordon, were condemned. Sir John Gordon, who was said to be the author of all those troubles, was executed. His brother Adam was pardoned; as he was still under the age of manhood: this boy lived to be a successful commander, on the Queen’s side, during the subsequent civil wars, between her authority, and Murray’s usurpation. But, for Mary’s misconduct, Huntley, and his sons, would have been towers of strength to the Queen, during her troubles, if they had not been thus thrown down, by her own imprudence. And, the body of Huntley, after some debate, was preserved, for the purpose of trial, before the Parliament, and for the benefit of forfeitures to those, who might be favoured, by Murray, with donations of the spoils. All the great objects of this northern tour being thus accomplished, by giving possession of Moray to Mar, and effecting Huntley’s ruin, the Queen, and her suite, returned southwards, on their progress to Edinburgh. At Aberdeen, the Queen, remained, from the 22d of September, till the 5th of November, [1562,] when she departed for Dunnoter, where she slept:..
– Life of Mary, pp.62-77.
A few years later the presbytery claimed to have the custody of the bell and the nomination of the party intrusted with the ringing of it, as being more within their province than that of the magistrates, and on 5th November, 1594, there is the following entry in the records of the presbytery:- “Quhilk day the presbiterie declairis the office of the ringing of the bell to the buriall of the deid to be ecclesiastical and that the electioun of the persone to the ringing of the said bell belongis to the kirk, according to the ancient canonis and discipline of the reformit kirk.” Whether anything followed on this resolution does not appear.
– Old Glasgow, pp.19-29.
Nov. 5 . – On the evening of this day, when the Gunpowder Plot was to have taken effect, a high wind produced some effects in the north of Scotland, which seemed in harmony with that wild affair. ‘All the inner stone pillars of the north side of the cathedral church at Dornoch (lacking the roof before) were blown from the very roots and foundation, quite and clean over the outer walls of the church; which walls did remain nevertheless standing, to the great astonishment of all such as have seen the same. These great winds did even then prognosticate and foreshadow some great treason to be at hand; and as the devil was busy then to trouble the air, so was he busy, by these his firebrands, to trouble the estate of Great Britain.’ – G. H. S.
The Privy Council issued sundry proclamations ‘anent the Poulder Treason,’ one for the apprehension of Percy, the prime conspirator.
– Domestic Annals, pp.177-227.
This fall in the rent [in 1646] was doubtless occasioned by the existence in the town of the plague which, according to the representations by the whole tacksmen of the mills, ladles, tron, and bridge on 12th December, had deprived them of their duties…1
– Scots Lore, pp.15-29.
1 Council Records, ii. 108. The visitation of the pest at this time happened after the taking of Newcastle by the Scottish Army in October, 1644, and rapidly spread with deadly results over the country during the following year. It had reached Glasgow before November, and on the 5th of that month quartermasters were appointed, and the infected were either shut up in their houses or sent out to the muir at some distance from the town. It seems not to have entirely disappeared till October, 1647.
The people of all orders turned their eyes to William, Prince of Orange, who had long taken a lead in opposing the arrogant continental policy of the French monarch, and whose court had for some years been a resort of British malcontents. Being invited by a great number of influential persons, of both sides in politics, including some of the clergy, he no longer hesitated to make preparations for an invasion. In October he set sail with an army of about sixteen thousand men, and on the 5th of November  cast anchor in Tor Bay, in Devonshire, while the king’s fleet lay windbound at Harwich. James retired to London before the advancing army, and was immediately deserted by all his principal counsellors, and even by his younger daughter, the Princess Anne. Feeling no support around him, he first despatched the queen and her infant to France, and then prepared to follow. In the disguise of a servant, he escaped down the river to Faversham, but being there seized by the populace as a popish refugee, he was brought back to London. It was found, however, that the government could not be settled on a proper footing while he remained in the country; and he was therefore permitted once more to depart…
– Domestic Annals, pp.338-341.
On the 5th of November, 1794, in prosecuting a search for some lost Parliamentary records, the crown-room was opened by the Lieutenant-Governor and other commissioners. It was dark, being then windowless, and filled with foul air. In the grated chimney lay the ashes of the last fire and a cannon ball, which still lies where it had fallen in some past siege; the dust of eighty-seven years lay on the paved floor, and the place looked grim and desolate. Major Drummond repeatedly shook the oak chest; it returned no sound, was supposed to be empty, and stronger in the hearts of the Scots waxed the belief that the Government, in wicked policy, had destroyed its contents; but murmurs arose from time to time, as the years went on, and a crown, called that of Scotland, was actually shown in the Tower of London!
At length, in 1817, ten years after the death of Cardinal York, the Prince Regent, afterwards George IV., issued a warrant to the Scottish officers of state and other officials, to open the crown-room, in order that the existence of the regalia might be ascertained, and measures taken for their preservation.
In virtue of this warrant there met, among others, in the governor’s house, the Lord President of the Court of Session, the Lord Justice Clerk, the Lord Chief Commissioner of the Jury Court, the Lord Provost, the Commander-in-chief, and Sir Walter Scott, whose emotions on this occasion may be imagined.
“It was with feelings of no common anxiety that the commissioners, having read their warrant, proceeded to the crown-room, and, having found all there in the state in which it had been left in 1794, commanded the king’s smith, who was in attendance, to force open the great chest, the keys of which had been sought for in vain. The general impression that the regalia had been secretly removed weighed heavily on the hearts of all while the labour proceeded. The chest seemed to return a hollow and empty sound to the strokes of the hammer; and even those whose expectations had been most sanguine felt at the moment the probability of bitter disappointment, and could not but be sensible that, should the result of the search confirm those forebodings, it would only serve to show that a national affront – an injury had been sustained, for which it might be difficult, or rather impossible, to obtain redress. The joy was therefore extreme when, the ponderous lid of the chest having been forced open, at the expense of some time and labour, the regalia were discovered lying at the bottom covered with linen cloths, exactly as they had been left in 1707, being 110 years before, since they had been surrendered by William the ninth Earl Marischal to the custody of the Earl of Glasgow, Treasurer-Deputy of Scotland. The reliques were passed from hand to hand, and greeted with the affectionate reverence which emblems so venerable, restored to pubic view after the slumber of more than a hundred years, were so peculiarly calculated to excite. The discovery was instantly communicated to the public by the display of the royal standard, and was greeted by the shouts of the soldiers in garrison, and a vast multitude assembled on the Castle hill; indeed the rejoicing was so general and sincere as plainly to show that, however altered in other respects, the people of Scotland had lost nothing of that national enthusiasm which formerly had displayed itself in grief for the loss of those emblematic honours, and now was expressed in joy for their recovery.”
– Old and New Edinburgh, pp.66-79.
Allegories on the Banks of the Tiber.
When the POPE returned to Rome the other day, a few of his subjects, probably his tradesmen, got up a demonstration in honour of the event. Among the various means which they resorted to, in order to celebrate the restoration of his Holiness to the bosom of his consistory, was the erection of triumphal arches, which were ornamented by allegorical paintings. The allegories in these works of art must have been particularly “headstrong,” so much so as to have been impracticable to any but the most inventive artist. Their subjects were “the Austrian Concordat,” “the Immaculate Conception,” and “the Establishment of the Ecclesiastical Hierarchy in England.” We will not say that we cannot conceive how these transactions could have been allegorised, because we can, whatever difficulty everybody else may experience in so doing. “The Austrian Concordat” might have been typified by a picture of the EMPEROR OF AUSTRIA and the POPE himself, the former kneeling to the latter, and presenting him with half-a-crown. A representation of his Holiness, exhibiting a bran-new coin from his own mint, would have served to express “the Immaculate Conception,” and “the Establishment of the Ecclesiastical Hierarchy in England” might have been most accurately symbolized by a portrait of CARDINAL WISEMAN as he appeared on the 5th of November, 1850, carried about the streets of London in effigy. – p.133.
“JUSTICE TO SCOTLAND.
On Wednesday night a public meeting in favour of the objects of ‘The National Association for the Vindication of Scottish Rights’ was held in the Music Hall, Edinburgh, which was crowded to excess, many hundreds besides having failed to obtain admission. Among the noblemen and gentlemen on the platform and in the body of the hall were the following: The Earl of Eglinton, the Earl of Buchan, Lord Gray of Kinfauns, the Lord Provost of Edinburgh, Sir Hugh Hume Campbell, Bart., Sir Archibald Alison, Bart., Sir J. W. Drummond, Bart., Admiral Sir C. Napier, the Lord Provost of Perth, &c. The demands upon our space are too great for us to report the speeches which were delivered, but to give an idea of the claims advanced by the society, we append the resolutions which were proposed and carried by acclamation.
‘That the Treaty of Union between Scotland and England recognises the supremacy, asserts the individuality, and provides for the preservation of the national laws and institutions of Scotland; that any attempt to subvert or place those institutions under English control, under the pretence of a centralising economy, would deprive Scotland of the benefit of local action, would be injurious to her welfare, and an infraction of the true spirit in which that treaty was concluded.’
‘That this meeting considers it necessary, for the better administration of the public business of this part of the united kingdom, and for securing to Scotland the practical benefits of a united Legislature, that the office of Secretary of State for Scotland be restored, with all the rights and privileges formerly appertaining thereto; and this meeting invites the councils of cities and burghs of Scotland to petition her Majesty to this effect.’
‘That the representatives returned by Scotland to the House of Commons are not in the relative proportion of her people, or the amount of her revenue, as compared with those of England; and that this meeting is of opinion that, in order to give the voice of Scotland its just weight in Parliament; that number should be increased to its fair proportion.’
‘That while this meeting does not wish to claim for Scotland Government assistance for objects which are better served by local efforts, yet, nevertheless, it is of opinion that a manifest injustice is inflicted upon Scotland by its exclusion from the advantages of participating in the public expenditure, for Imperial and important local purposes of a national character, to the same proportional extent as England and Ireland, and that such exclusion is contrary to the intention and meaning of the Treaty of Union.’
‘This meeting is of opinion that the present state of the Palace of Holyrood and its neighbourhood is discreditable to the capital and the nation; and, further, that the Royal property and buildings of Scotland should be administered by some Scottish Board, so as to apply the revenues arising in Scotland to their repair, maintenance, and embellishment; that no further sales of the Crown property in Scotland should be made, and that the purchase-money received from the recent sales should be placed to the Scottish account.’
‘That the National Association for the Vindication of Scottish Rights, which devotes itself to the accomplishment of the objects embraced in the resolutions adopted by this meeting, is one deserving the cordial support of every true Scotsman.’ “
– The Examiner, 5th November, 1853.
– Newspaper Articles Relating to the Treaty of Union, Articles 1850-1875.
“A NOTICE (since mislaid) appeared in the Glasgow Herald some years ago [I believe, after checking, he’s talking about the ‘The Rhind Lectures’, Glasgow Herald, 5th – 18th November, 1893], in a paper on Place-Names, as to the estate of Nenflare [Nemphlar] on the Clyde being part of the barony of Polkelly in Ayrshire, which is interesting for several reasons. Under the name of “Nenflare,” it appears in 1303-4 as the property of Sir Edward Comyn, held under Edward I., then in possession of a large part of Scotland. (Calendar of Scottish Documents, vol. ii. pp. 424-8.) Edward Comyn was lord of Kilbride in Lanarkshire, and many other lands in England. He fell at Bannockburn, leaving two daughters, both of whom seem to have married Englishmen. Rowallan in Ayrshire also belonged at this time to a Comyn related to, but distinct from, the Kilbride Comyn. It must have come to the Mures by a Comyn heiress, for the garbs of Comyn appear on the arms of the Mures of Rowallan. And when Sir Adam Mure procured, in 1393, the erection of Polkelly and other lands, including Nenflare, into a barony, he was clearly uniting old Comyn estates. Scottish antiquaries are generally aware of the early greatness of the Comyns in Scotland. I am not sure that their Lanarkshire possessions are so well known. In Clydesdale alone they held Kilbride, Dalserf, and Nenflare, with I believe “Ferme-Comyn,” a little above Glasgow (afterwards Hamilton Farm)1; and on the north boundary of Lanarkshire, though de facto in Dunbartonshire, the extensive baronies of Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld – all forfeited by their opposing Robert Bruce in the War of Independence.
– Scots Lore, pp.50-53.