[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]
KILMARTIN, a parish in Argyleshire, of an oblong figure, 12 miles in length, and about 3 in breadth; containing 18,000 acres; lying on the west coast of Argyleshire; bounded on the east for 6 miles by LOCH-AWE [which see], which separates it from the parish of Glassry; and on the west by that arm of the sea called Loch-Craignish. The extent of sea-coast is about 8 miles. In the south-west corner of this district the surface is rather hilly than mountainous, with arable and pasture grounds intermixed. In the north-east the surface is more rugged, but in the valleys there are extensive fields of arable land. The valued rent is £3,643 Scots. Assessed property, in 1815, £8,304. The valley in which the church and village of Kilmartin are situated is one of the most beautiful in the Highlands. Through this vale runs the line of road from Kintyre to Fort-William. Loch-Crinan is the principal harbour, not only in this parish, but also on the western coast of Argyleshire. It was this circumstance which induced it to be preferred for the canal across the isthmus, though longer by 3 or 4 miles than the isthmus of Tarbert: see article CRINAN CANAL. Limestone is abundant. Population, in 1801, 1,501; in 1831, 1,475. Houses, in 1831, 275. – This parish is in the presbytery of Inverary, and synod of Argyle. Patron, the Duke of Argyle. Stipend £189 3s. 2d.; glebe £15. – Schoolmaster’s salary £30. There were 4 private schools in the parish in 1834.