[Scottish National Memorials Contents]
BRONZE FLANGED AXE, or Palstave, on which there has been inscribed, ‘Found in Barsceoch Moss, 7 feet below the surface. Joseph Train.’ It is 6 inches long and 2 ⅝ inches across the cutting face. The upper part having flanges and a recess or stop in the centre to retain the shaft. The recessed portion to the stop is 2 ⅝ inches long, and on one side opposite the stop ridge there is a loop. From the Collection of Joseph Train.
(67) Lent by MRS. DRYDEN.
BRONZE FLAT AXE, from High Crosshill, Rutherglen, near Glasgow. It is 5 ⅛ inches in length, 2 9⁄16 inches across the cutting face, and ⅞ inch at the opposite extremity.
(50) Lent by J. MACNAUGHT CAMPBELL.
BRONZE AXE, flanged, without stop ridges, 5 ⅛ inches in length, by 2 inches across the cutting edge, which is almost semi-circular in outline, with pointed ends; the flanges lozenge-shaped. Found on the site of a Camp, near Draffan, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
(73) Lent by J. H. DALZELL.
BRONZE AXE, socketed, 2 ⅜ inches in length, by 2 inches across the cutting edge; ornamented by a narrow raised band at a distance of ½ an inch below the mouth, with loop on one side; mouth of the socket square with rounded angles. Found in Parish of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
(73) Lent by J. B. DALZELL.
SOCKETED AXE-HEAD, of Bronze, found in river Nith, near Glencaple, in 1877; and another, found at Carscreugh Castle, Wigtownshire, in 1879. These are of the forms illustrated in Dr. Joseph Anderson’s Scotland in Pagan Times, Bronze and Stone Ages (Edin. 1886), figs. 153 and 154, p. 151.
(52, 53) Lent by JAMES LENNOX, F.S.A. SCOT.
TWO BRONZE FLAT AXES, found in 1887 on the farm of Craigdhu, near Lag, Arran. One, 6 inches long, weighs 18 ½ ounces; the second, 5 ½ inches, weighs 16 ounces.
(57) Lent by JAMES LESLIE, ARRAN.
BRONZE RING OR ARMLET AND FIVE BRONZE AXES, found at ‘The Maidens,’ near Turnberry Castle, Ayrshire. This hoard was discovered in 1883, when excavations were being made for a shipbuilding yard, in a position about 100 yards from the seashore, and 25 feet above high-water mark. The largest of the bronze axes was 5 ½ inches long by 3 ¼ inches across the cutting face; the smallest measured 3 ¾ inches by 1 ⅜ inches. The find is fully described by Dr. Munro in the Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot. vol. xvii. p. 433, and in the Ayr and Wigtown Arch. Association’s Collections, vol. iv. p. 1. (See Figs. 7, 8, and 9, which illustrate two of the Axes and the Bronze Ring.)
(46, 45, 43) Lent by the MARQUIS OF AILSA.
BRONZE CALDRON from Lesmahagow Parish, Lanarkshire. It is formed of a single sheet of thin bronze beaten up into a basin shape, and has rivet-holes around the edge. Height, 7 inches; diameter over the mouth, 13 inches.
(62) Lent by J. B. DALZELL.
BRONZE SWORD, found in the ‘Druid Stone’ Park, Errol, Perthshire. The point of this sword has been broken off, and it is otherwise somewhat weathered and injured. It measures 22 ⅜ inches in length, and 1 ¾ inches across its broadest point.
(65) Lent by ANDREW DAVIE.
BRONZE SWORD, found in the Tay by the fishermen of Darry Island, opposite Elcho, near Perth, and presented by Loni Provost Dewar in 1854 to the Literary and Antiquarian Society of Perth. This fine sword measures 23 ½ inches in length, and 1 ¾ inches in maximum breadth. The hilt-plate is pierced with a longitudinal slit 1 ⅛ and the cutting edges are finely hammered and ground.
(54) LITERARY AND ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY, PERTH.
BRONZE SWORD, found in a Peat-moss in the Island of Shuna, West Highlands, in 1874. This leaf-shaped sword, which is one of three found sticking vertically in the peat, points downwards, is in perfect condition. It measures 25 ⅜ inches in length, its greatest breadth is 1 ¾ inches, and it has a fine hammered and ground cutting margin along the entire length of the blade on both sides. The hilt-plate is pierced with four rivet-holes. In form it is similar to the sword from South Uist in the National Museum, Edinburgh, figured in Dr. Anderson’s Scotland in Pagan Times, Bronze and Stone Ages (Edin. 1886), fig. 173, p. 172. (See Fig. 10.)
(68) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
MOULD FOR BRONZE OR BRASS IMPLEMENTS, found 3 feet under the surface at Trochrig, Ayrshire. It is made of Serpentine, and measures 16 ½ by 9 ½ inches, its greatest thickness being about 2 ½ inches.
On the principal face of the slab there are half moulds for four separate objects, none of which bears any close resemblance to the bronze or brass implements usually found. On the back of the slab there is also a mould for a large implement. Serpentine similar to that of the matrix is found in the south of Ayrshire. See Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot. vol. i. p. 45; Way, Catalogue of the Exhibition of the Archæological Institute. Edinburgh: Constable, 1859, p. 21, and Wilson’s Prehist. Annals, second ed. vol. i. p. 344. (See Fig. 11.)
(84) Lent by MISS BROWN.