[Scottish National Memorials Contents]
URN, of Baked Clay, found in a deposit of sand in digging for the foundation of a building at Springfield Quay, Glasgow, in 1877. This is a rudely-formed vessel, destitute of ornament, and divided into three stages in its height by roughly-formed belts or bands. It is 6 ¾ inches high, and measures 6 ¼ inches over the lip.
(32) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
URN, discovered in the Southern Cairn, or ‘Lady’s Grave,’ at The Holm, near Tomontend, Island of Cumbrae, 12th Sept. 1878. This urn was found in a very finely constructed cist containing bones in a mound on the old raised beach about 30 yards from the sea-shore. The mound, composed of stone and shingle from the shore, was about 6 feet high, and 40 feet in circumference. The urn, which measures 4 3⁄16 inches in height, and 5 inches in diameter over the mouth, is beautifully formed, with elaborate incised and impressed ornament, and his been provided with four pierced knobs in a depressed band around its side, one of which is broken away. Figured and described in the Trans. Glasgow Arch. Soc. vol. ii. Part ii. p. 116. (See Fig. 12.)
(29) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
URN discovered in the Large Cairn at Tomontend, Island of Cumbrae, 28th Sept. 1878. This urn, which stands 4 ⅞ inches high, and measures 6 ⅜ inches across the mouth, was found in a rudely-formed cist, in the cairn which, measuring 60 feet in circumference and 12 feet in height, is situated on the old beach about 20 yards distant from the present shore. The surface of the urn is elaborately ornamented with two boldly incised zigzag bands, and rows of incised dots. Figured and described in the Trans. Glasgow Arch. Soc. vol. ii. part ii. p. 116. (See Fig. 13.)
(28) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
THREE URNS, and fragments of others, found in gravel bed round the large Tumulus near Tomontend, Great Cumbrae, Sept. 1881. None of these was enclosed in any cist; in two of them were found burned bones, accompanied in each case by a leaf-shaped flint knife bearing marks of calcination. (See Fig. 15.) The three perfect urns have been ornamented
with imbedded cord-marks, and they measure respectively (a) 7 ⅝ inches in height by 6 ¾ inches across the mouth; (b) 7 ¼ inches high with 6 ¼ inches of mouth diameter; and (c) 4 ⅝ inches in height by 4 ⅝ inches diameter at the mouth. With the other Cumbrae finds above enumerated, these urns are figured and described in the Trans. Glasgow Arch. Soc. vol. ii. part ii. pp. 114-120. (See Figs. 14a, 14b, and 14c.)
(30) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
URN, found at the farmhouse of Lawfield, parish of Kilmalcolm, near Glasgow. The bottom is broken away. The vessel is divided into three belts or stages by two bands. As it stands, it measures 8 ½ inches in height by a diameter of 7 ½ inches at the brim.
(34) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
URN, of Baked Clay, found on the farm of Dippin, Kilmory, Arran, in 1875. The lower parts of this urn have been broken away, and in its present condition it is 11 inches high and 9 ½ inches across the lip. It is rudely formed, with a single band 3 inches from the top, and destitute of any ornamentation.
(33) From KELVINGROVE MUSEUM.
URN, found in December 1883 at Backmoss, near Auchnagath, on the Earl of Aberdeen’s Haddo House Estate, Aberdeenshire. It was turned up a few inches below the surface in ploughing the high part of an arable field. Similar urns have occasionally been found under like circumstances in the neighbourhood. It is rude in form, measuring 10 ½ inches in height and 12 ¼ inches over the lip, beneath which it bulges out in two banded stages. The ornamentation consists of incised cross lines wide and open below.
(35) Lent by the EARL OF ABERDEEN.
FOUR CASTS OF CUP-MARKINGS, found on a glaciated rock on the farm of High
Banks, in the parish of Kirkcudbright, close to the site of the ancient village of Galtway. There are many other specimens of such prehistoric cup and ring markings in the same parish.
These casts were taken from the surface of a glaciated whinstone rock, discovered in 1887. The locality was subsequently more fully explored by the Kirkcudbright Museum Association, under whose supervision the casts were made. Groups of such markings are found to extend
from Balmae on the Solway coast to High Banks, and the separate groups occasionally occupy an area of fifty square feet. At the point where these casts were made, there occurs a quarry which was opened up about forty years ago, and according to the statement of Mr. Rigg, the
occupant of the land, the surface then broken was most distinctly and elaborately cup-marked. (See Figs. 16, 17, 18, illustrating three of the casts.)
(104) Lent by the KIRKCUDBRIGHT MUSEUM ASSOCIATION.