Lent by Thomas Boston. (Nos. 1173-1187.)
CHAPTER OF GLASGOW, A.D. 1180. The device of a Paschal Lamb: the left fore-foot is resting on what seems to be a ring with a part of a chain attached to it. ‘SIGILL CAPITULI ECCLESIE GLESGUENSIS.’ – Laing’s Seals, Plate xxii., fig. I. (See Plate XXII.)
CHAPTER OF GLASGOW, A.D. 1280. A fine Seal of a round shape, representing a church with a spire rising from the centre, terminating with a cross fleury. A plain cross rises from each end of the roof, and above it is a crescent and star. Three pointed arches from the lower part of the church. In the centre is an altar, on which is the chalice, and issuing from the centre of the arch is a hand pointing into it. Beneath the dexter arch a full-length figure of an aged saint, his hands raised in adoration; beneath the sinister arch also an aged figure standing before a lectern. The background ornamented with foliage. ‘S. CAPITULI ECCLESIE GLASGUENSIS.’ – Laing’s Seals, Plate xxii., fig. 2. (See Plate XXII.)
COUNTER SEAL OF THE LAST, A.D. 1280. Of equally fine work. A demi-figure of St. Kentigern, mitred and robed, his right hand raised bestowing the benediction, his left holding the pastoral staff; the bust rests on the top of three arches, with spires at the end, and beneath the arches are three figures kneeling at prayer. Within an inner circle is inscribed ‘SANCTUS KENTEGNUS,’ and on the outer circle ‘KENTEGERNE TUOS BENEDIC PATER ALME MINISTROS.’ – Laing’s Seals, Plate xxii., fig. 2. (See Plate XXII.)
Plate XXII. – Seals of the Bishops and See of Glasgow.
COMMON SEAL OF GLASGOW, A.D. 1542. A front head of St. Kentigern, mitred, between the bell, fish, and ring on the dexter, and a bird on a tree on the sinister side. ‘SIGILLUM COMMUNE DE GLASGU.’ – Laing’s Seals, Plate xxii., fig. 3.
THE COMMON SEAL OF GLASGOW, 1789-1866. (See Fig. 153, p. 214.)
THE COMMON SEAL OF GLASGOW, now in use. (See Fig. 154, p. 214.)
COMMON SEAL OF RENFREW, fourteenth century. A galley on the waters, with sails furled; a cross crosslet fixed in the prow and stern. On the dexter side is a mullet of ten points, and a shield bearing Scotland. On the sinister side is a crescent and shield bearing the fess cheque of the Stuarts. The whole is rather rudely executed. ‘SIGILLUM COM-UNE DE RENFREW.’ From the original brass matrix, in good preservation, probably the work of the fourteenth century which in Mr. Laing’s time was in the possession of Allan Bell, Esq., Abbots-Haugh, Falkirk.
COMMON SEAL OF RUTHERGLEN, 1493. This, as well as the Counter Seal, seems to have been a very fine Seal, but unfortunately is in bad preservation. The design is a galley, with two men, one engaged in rowing, the other furling the sails. The inscription seems to be ‘SIGILLUM COMMUNETATIS DE RUGLENINSE.’
COUNTER SEAL OF THE LAST. The virgin sitting with the Infant Jesus, and at each side an angel waving the thurible. ‘… IS… TRIA RATARAN… ME…’
COUNTER SEAL OF KILWINNING MONASTERY. Within a Gothic niche a figure of a monk (St. Winnin), with the pastoral staff in his right hand and a book in his left. ‘S. COMMUNE CAPITULI MONASTERII DE KILVYNYNG.’ Probably sixteenth century work.
BURGH OF STIRLING. A fine large Seal, in excellent preservation, and of a remarkable design. A bridge of seven arches; from the centre one rises a large cross with the Saviour extended. Above, on the dexter, a star, and on the sinister a crescent. On the dexter side of the cross are three soldiers armed with bows and arrows, the foremost one discharging his arrow towards three soldiers on the sinister side of the cross, who are armed with spears, the foremost one in the act of charging. ‘HIC ARMIS BRUTI SCOTI STANT HIC CRUCE TUTI’ (‘Here stand the rude Scots, protected here by arms, here by the cross’).
COUNTER SEAL OF THE LAST. The front of a castle; at each side are branches of foliage, and scattered round the top and sides are five stars and two roses. ‘CONTINET HOC IN SE NEMUS ET CASTRUM STRIVELINSE,’ rhyming hexameter, – ‘This holds within itself the wood and castle of Stirling.’ The original matrix of above Seal is the property of the Town Council of Stirling.
COUNTER SEAL OF KIRKWALL, 1675. The capital of the Orkney Islands, erected a Royal Burgh by King James III. A three-masted galley on the waters, sails furled. ‘SIGILLUM COMMONE CIVITATIS KIRKUALENSIS.’ Matrix in the office of Town-Clerk of Kirkwall.
COKETE SEAL, DUNFERMLINE. This and the Counter Seal following are fine and interesting examples, in most excellent preservation. The design of this one is an elegant full-length figure of St. Margaret, with an open crown of three points. In her right hand she holds a sceptre, and a book in her left. At the dexter side is a shield bearing the arms of Scotland, and at the sinister side is another charged with the cross fleury between five martlets, being the paternal arms of the Queen. The background is elegantly ornamented with foliage, ‘S. COKETE REGALITATIS DE DUNFERMYLYN.’
COUNTER SEAL OF THE LAST. Merely containing the Arms of Scotland. Foliage surrounds the shield. ‘ROBERTUS DEI GRATIA REX SCOTORUM.’ The original brass matrices of both these fine Seals are in the Advocates’ Library, Edinburgh, and were probably executed about 1312 or 1320.
FRAME containing engravings of the seals of the Bishops and Archbishops of the See of Glasgow; Old Seals of the Corporation; and old varieties of the City Arms. Arranged by Mr. A. Macgeorge.
(861) Lent by ANDREW MACGEORGE.
For other Seals see the section of Burghal Memorials.