[Gazetteer of Scotland Contents]
PLOCKTON, a village and a parliamentary parish, situated quoad civilia in the parish of Loch-Alsh, on the west coast of Ross-shire. The village is a burgh-of-regality. The parish was erected by the General Assembly in May 1833, and attached to a previously built government church; and it is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, and synod of Ross. Patron, the Crown. Stipend £120, with a manse. A schoolmaster is supported by the Society for propagating Christian knowledge; and a female teacher is supported principally by annual subscriptions. The two schools were attended, in 1834, by 123 scholars. Population, in 1836, about 530.